Why won't my phone allow me to send a video through text?

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Every time I try and attach a video it says"you can't attach this file" basically not allowing any video to send no matter how small it is.

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
make sure the video is recorded in MMS vs 720/1080p then it will be small enough to send.
I had that problem yesterday and this fixed it.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
That's just a work around to something that shouldn't be thought about. I shouldn't have to think let me film in horrible quality so I can text.

Last edited:

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the help but that's unacceptable on htc part. You should be able to film in 1080p and the phone should convert the file for you. I guess htc still needs to learn a thing or two after all these years.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So wait, I want to see this. Take a video in full resolution on an iPhone and send it to me through sms /mms. Pm me for my phone number if you like. Mms has a file size limit on every US carrier I know so no matter what phone you have you are going to be limited in video size. This is precisely why people are using things like Dropbox and YouTube to share things like videos. Plus, it really helps to use those services if you want to share with more than one person. I still want someone with an iPhone to send me an hd video over mms. I'm honestly curious about this claim.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
No you can't send it full resolution unless you use imessage which is implemented into the text. But at least the iPhone let's you send from your photo library down converts the image quality for you. Sending a video shouldn't have to be a thought out process. If I filmed something I should just be able to text it to you not have to film it in a worse resolution. Don't kid yourself and try and Convince yourself that this phone is as usable as an iPhone because the reality of it is its not. I love the htc one but I'm not your average consumer. The fact is you can't text a video from your video library. Using htc one unless you filmed at its mms resolution. That. To me makes this phone a crippled product.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android.
I could go on about the many things you are unable to do in iOS but you probably know the limitations. But really, take a video in full resolution on your iPhone, send it to me. Just add it to the messaging app and hit send. Like you claim there's nothing to do on your part. It will resize and format and just work right? I'd love to see what shows up on this end.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
On the iPhone can you send a full resolution video file to a phone other than an iPhone?

You can always upload to YouTube, it'll convert it automatically and then send that link.

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I understand what he is saying. I do agree with him.. You should be able to record the video in 1080P and when you go to send the video via text it should AUTOMATICALLY downgrade the quality for you to send it. That way you dont have to manually record a horrible quality video just so you can send it via text.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I understand what he is saying. I do agree with him.. You should be able to record the video in 1080P and when you go to send the video via text it should AUTOMATICALLY downgrade the quality for you to send it. That way you dont have to manually record a horrible quality video just so you can send it via text.

Gotcha, that would be convenient. I just do the youtube route, it adds a little bit of an extra step but the size/length of the video doesnt matter and then from youtube I can share later on with someone without having to convert the file again.

So my process is, from the gallery app I select a video and do the share option to youtube. Then from youtube I share it.

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If I am going to record a video I am going to want to record it in high quality. If I want to show someone the video I think the phone itself should automatically downgrade the quality through text so you can send it and then just email it to someone for full quality. Thats how my phone is anyway.

If the ONE is not like this, I dont know if Ill buy it.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess I look at things differently. I'm aware that cell networks, even some email, does not have the capacity to transmit high quality video so I long ago abandoned that idea because even if your phone auto sizes the file it will always look like crap on the other end. So why not just take at full resolution then upload to YouTube? It allows you to not only allow the recipient to see in full resolution but it avoids multiple uploads if you want to show more than one person. Just some thoughts.

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess I look at things differently. I'm aware that cell networks, even some email, does not have the capacity to transmit high quality video so I long ago abandoned that idea because even if your phone auto sizes the file it will always look like crap on the other end. So why not just take at full resolution then upload to YouTube? It allows you to not only allow the recipient to see in full resolution but it avoids multiple uploads if you want to show more than one person. Just some thoughts.

Well you can do that. And if thats the only way then I guess I could live with it. But I think it would be better to do either. If I want to show someone specific a video of something Id rather just be able to text it to them or email it to them rather than showing the world.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Well you can do that. And if thats the only way then I guess I could live with it. But I think it would be better to do either. If I want to show someone specific a video of something Id rather just be able to text it to them or email it to them rather than showing the world.

There are sharing options that give you control within youtube on who can view the video (I never have my videos available publicly but I do share them with friends and family)

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android.
I could go on about the many things you are unable to do in iOS but you probably know the limitations. But really, take a video in full resolution on your iPhone, send it to me. Just add it to the messaging app and hit send. Like you claim there's nothing to do on your part. It will resize and format and just work right? I'd love to see what shows up on this end.

Yes I'm aware the iPhone through regular non imessage mms will send a lower quality image but at least I don't have to film at a lesser quality to send it with the iPhone. Unfortunately with the htc one you do. That's actually disgusting. To tell me post it to YouTube is unacceptable and crazy. I don't care if you can choose who views it. I don't want my videos on the Internet. I don't believe any other android os phone forces that upon their users. Plus you say use another text app. But the only good one is gosms and guess what the virtual options key shows up on it since the one doesn't have an options key that app is pretty much unusable since the keyboard runs unnaturally higher. And for some reason htc has prevented the disable option on their stock message as so unless you root the phone it means you'll have two message apps receiving texts which means the stock settings of the low size restriction will affect the other app most likely. Honestly this phone more and more just seems like a crippled product. Htc is clearly trying to go the apple route and force you to use certain apps of their own. Nope that's not what androids about. If I wanted the best locked out phone I would've bought an iPhone. I wanted an open source phone. That's not what htc is selling. Sorry the phone is good but these are things reviewers clearly missed when reviewing and if I had known this I would absolutely have not bought this phone. I would've bought an S4.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. Thats good then. I am just not really familiar with it since I always send my videos via text or email. Thanks

You get a thumbs up because you are willing to do things differently than you are used to. If you are that concerned about privacy you could always use Dropbox or similar services to share a video as well. Here's a good exercise for you. Take an hd video for one minute then look at the file size. Then find out mms size limits and email size limits. You'll quickly notice neither of these are good ways to share files as big as video. After you just find a good way for you to overcome this limitation.

Edit: and I agree it would be better if I could simply take a video and send it to whoever through their phone number but as it stands that's not happening. Perhaps with high saturation of lte the providers will rework message size limits and protocols but until then I find YouTube and Dropbox to be perfectly fine.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
You get a thumbs up because you are willing to do things differently than you are used to. If you are that concerned about privacy you could always use Dropbox or similar services to share a video as well. Here's a good exercise for you. Take an hd video for one minute then look at the file size. Then find out mms size limits and email size limits. You'll quickly notice neither of these are good ways to share files as big as video. After you just find a good way for you to overcome this limitation.

You're failing to admit to yourself that the phone is crippled. The option should be there. You shouldn't be forced to try new ways of sending things. This is why this phone fails as a whole.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You're failing to admit to yourself that the phone is crippled. The option should be there. You shouldn't be forced to try new ways of sending things. This is why this phone fails as a whole.

No, you are failing to admit that the problem lies in network limitations, not the particular phone. The option isn't there because it isn't a good option. I agree it'd be great if there was a sort of universal iMessage, but I'm also well aware that no matter what you do sending a video of any decent length is simply not possible over the sms/mms path.
I still want to see a video you send through mms. Even if it is resized. I've seen them in the past, and often had trouble figuring out what I was looking at. Show me how a video small enough (length and or resolution) for mms taken on any phone is "acceptable" and a better solution than ones I've provided.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon