HTC One - Disable Emergency Call button?

Curtis Martin

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I've somehow managed to make several 911 calls by accidentally pocket-dialing off the lock-screen.
Is it possible to disable this?
Once the lock screen (with PIN) comes up, the emergency call button is fairly prominent.

I'm trying Hidden Lock now and it does allow me to remove the emergency call button entirely, but after unlocking, I still have to slide to unlock (so it's a double-action to unlock from the PIN).

I was wondering if there's a more elegant approach...

Ahjai79

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Disable Emergency Call button?

I love my new HTC 91One. Everything about the phone outstanding except that the local Sheriff is now my best friend from all the accidental 911 calls this genius phone decides to make while it is locked. Firmware fix for an "are you sure", "ok" or "cancel" secondary touch requirement on the emergency call area. Good grief.

David Kaufmann

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

This has been a HUUUGGGE problem for me. Not only my local sheriffs department but the three other counties have all given me complimentary return phone calls. The day I need help they won't answer because of all the **** calls.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

This is something that the OEMs simply will not allow to happen on their stock firmware. Taking away the emergency call button would be a big big deal to a lot of users who aren't being affected. I do totally understand you guys though.
The OEMs won't do it, but you may be able to find a willing modder on XDA. Those guys do listen to users when they can, and one of them may be able to hack that button out real quick if enough people ask. Just a thought to try to help.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I've somehow managed to make several 911 calls by accidentally pocket-dialing off the lock-screen.
Is it possible to disable this?
Once the lock screen (with PIN) comes up, the emergency call button is fairly prominent.

I'm trying Hidden Lock now and it does allow me to remove the emergency call button entirely, but after unlocking, I still have to slide to unlock (so it's a double-action to unlock from the PIN).

I was wondering if there's a more elegant approach...

I found Magic Locker to get rid of the Emergency call button on lock screen. its FREE and NO ROOT required :)

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

uhhh...What emergency call button? Or, succinctly, which lockscreen has the emergency call button on it? I see no such an animal anywhere on my phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

uhhh...What emergency call button? Or, succinctly, which lockscreen has the emergency call button on it? I see no such an animal anywhere on my phone.

If you have a password you will see it. If you just have swipe to unlock you won't.

The emergency call button is usually default on all phones with a password incase your injured and someone grabs your phone they can call 911 without unlocking your phone.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

rhys8582

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

FIXED IT! Okay, not totally. I couldn't get rid of the emergency call button, but by downloading sqllite editor I was able to edit the emergency contact and change the number to NOT 911. I set mine to 12345 so when pressed it just "cannot complete the call as dialed". No more pocket 911 calls. Here's what I did.
Root the phone
Download SuperSU
Download SQLite Editor (costs money, but you really only need it for 5 minutes, you could always REFUND it when you're done, but $5 is a small price to pay for this fix, and you never know when you might need to edit another database.....)
Open SQLite Editor and navigate to data --> data --> com.android.providers.contacts --> databases -->contacts2.db --> emergency
Select the only entry and click edit (pencil icon)
Change the number to whatever you want. I don't advise an actual working number because then you'll be pocket calling them instead, but whatever floats your boat. Hope this helps!

ldevlin

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

The emergency field is not showing on my LG G2 in the contacts2.db database. Could it be somewhere else or have they somehow hidden it so that it can't be edited?

Essencewoman58

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I just figured out on my own how to disable the Emergency Dial Keypad on my Samsung Galaxy III.

Go to Settings
Personal
Lock Screen
Choose the Option: None

So I have to do is to set my phone to swipe to unlock and I don't need a pin code.

xmdp

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Magic Locker has to be one of the worst and most troublesome apps I've seen. Constant begs to buy themes, completely unclear how it even works. Try if you want but it was horrible for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar