How is the HTC One's update capability?

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from iPhone, where updates were extremely easy. I'm wondering how HTC's updates are for the One. I don't believe that the One is coming with the newest version of JellyBean. Also, once the next Android version comes out "Key Lime Pie", will it be able to be updated onto the One?

Sorry if this sounds too basic or simply stupid....I've had the darn iPhone for too long.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
OTA updates are very easy. When an update is available it will be pushed to your phone and you just hit OK to download and install it. You can also check for updates in the Settings if you don't want to wait for it to be pushed to you. As far as what updates are available that is up to a combination of HTC and your carrier.

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Only time will tell how quickly updates will roll out for the One. Updates for any Android device (excluding the Nexus series sold directly from Google which run a stock version of Android) take more time than an update to iOS. Each manufacturer has to roll their own customizations into the stock version, then it has to be sent to the carriers for testing and their own additions, and finally rolled out to the devices that each manufacturer and carrier have chosen to get the update.

Since the One is currently HTC's flagship Android device, it will almost certainly get updated to 4.2.2 at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future ... or possibly skip 4.2.2 and go straight to 4.3, or whatever version is set to be announced at the upcoming Google I/O event. It sounds like 5.0 Key Lime Pie is still a ways off (still in development) and we will be seeing Jelly Bean 4.3 before 5.0 is released, so it really depends on how far off Key Lime Pie really is. More than likely, the One will get 5.0 at some point after it's eventual release, but when is really anyone's guess.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
HTC hasn't been at the top of the list for doing updates but this is their flagship device so there should be some regular OTA updates coming soon. Jellybean in general has been the game changer for Android so I personally don't think that updates are nearly as critical as they were even a year ago. But if you like to be on the cutting edge and want to get the most up to date releases then the only phone to buy is a Nexus 4. It has a nice screen, is stylish, fast and is as close as you can get to an ios experience on Android.

There is a rumor that Google will be announcing an upgraded version of the Nexus 4 at Google IO this week. Possibly with LTE and more storage. So you may want to wait.

If you are unable to get a Nexus due to carrier issues then the One is the best option IMO. I am buying this phone for my wife in a couple of days. She will not care about immediate updates etc., so it's a great phone for her.

For me it's Nexus 4 all the way.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes