How to Move email Picture Attachment to Gallery

gostan4484

May 10, 2013
Visit site
New to Android and HTC One. I cannot figure out how to move a picture attached to an email to Gallery. There must be a way to do something so simple, but I am stymied.

thetooth

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That is the problem of android system, unlike iphone, all photos go to my album. This is good for some people. U can download file explorer to move the files.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

gostan4484

May 10, 2013
Visit site
That is the problem of android system, unlike iphone, all photos go to my album. This is good for some people. U can download file explorer to move the files.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Thx. A bit funky but it works.

Posted via Android Central App

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I would disagree that "this is a problem with Android." Just the opposite. Android lets you create and access and use separate directories (folders) in your storage area, instead of lumping everything together and not allowing apps to cross boundaries. But, with great power comes great responsibility. ;-)

Go to the Play store and download one of the many file explorer apps. "ES File Explorer" is a popular one. There are others. With a file explorer app installed, you can then move files to where ever you want. In the case of email attachments, they are downloaded to your phone's storage into the directory (folder) called "Download". Move the pic file you want from the Download folder to the folder called "DCIM" and then either leave it in that folder or put it into one of the folders inside that folder, or make a new folder in that folder called something like "MyFavEmailAttachedPics" or whatever. From then on, you will have the pic in your Gallery just where you want. :)

ShipWreck

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
When you download the attachment it does give you the option to move the photo to another folder that is on the device so there should not be a issue moving photos around on the device. If the "move to" option is not showing up either your not in the right area or there something else going on with the device.

jhmblvd

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same issue. Sorry but this should be much easier to do without loading more stuff on the phone. Should be able to tap any image and have the option to save to G Drive, send or share by email, etc. Just a bad design and i love android and i love my HTC One but this is a fix that's needed.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree with some of you on this. I downloaded an app to handle downloads, but am surprised I had to.

I just want a download folder/icon on my home screen. Photos I download should automatically go into my photo gallery IMO. Videos should go in there place, PDF's etc...

Do any of these apps let you put a direct download folder/widget/icon on your home page???

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Dick Carter

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I just use the "All photos" album and it shows your newest photos at the bottom... regardless where they came from.. much like the iPhone did. It makes it easier to me than on my Samsung s4 when you would have to go to whatever album it's in to find the file. :) you just have to click the top right button - show/hide albums then check the box beside it. :)

my problem is that all the photos in my emails are being downloaded automatically so I have a bunch of work logos from people's signature. I can't figure out how to disable this feature. :(

robertelee

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
When I pressed the picture, message says attachment saved. When I go to my photo gallery the picture is not there. Where is my photo being saved? This just started about two weeks ago. I have a Samsung Android phone.

Sincerely,

Joel Treat

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Did you figure this out? I can't find my pics after downloading them from an email. Shows that it has downloaded the pic but it' not in my Gallery under "Downloaded". Iv'e even downloaded the ES File Explorer app and still can't find the downloaded image! Please help!
Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

1. Tap or long-press the photo attachment and select the option to Save or Download it.
2. The photo will likely be saved to the Download directory.
3. Assuming that there isn't a file called ".nomedia" in the Download directory, then any photo file in that directory should show up automatically in the Gallery. (The Gallery is not a file location -- it's an app that builds a database of all stored images anywhere on the phone, with the exception of directories that include a ".nomedia" file.)
4. If you don't want to keep the photo in the Download directory, then use a file manager app to move it to a directory of your choice (like the Pictures directory).

Beaselwood

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello. I've discovered that whenever I save a photo attachment from an email, another (random) photo that is already stored in Downloads disappears! Simply nowhere to be found. Surely there isn't a limit on the number of photos that can be stored in Downloads? Any help welcome, thank you.

IzL

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
And what if there is a file called ".nonmedia" and there seems to be no way of deleting it? I have tried all the suggestions on here except downloading additional software from the 'playstore', and STILL can't transfer photos sent by email out of the 'Downloads' area. Really had enough of this phone's useless quirks and am ready to get rid of it. Why ever can't I just press and hold on a photo and save it wherever I want?