visual voicemail in at&t

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else hate the visual voicemail app from at&t? Really wish they had voicemail integrated into the phone app itself, with the number of voicemails relayed on the phone icon.

Also can't find a way to have the voicemail count show up on the standalone app. You have to go in to check. Sure, you get a notification but it'd still be nice.

Posted via Android Central App

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Doesnt AT&T charge for that service..like Verizon? If you dont want to pay..give Google Voice a try..Sort of the same thing but you can access all your voicemails online, it will transcribe your message for you and send it to you in a text (though its not exactly 100% accurate lol)..etc

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Call At&t to get it activated.

Confused on this. I have visual voicemail activated. I was just saying that the way the one handles voicemail is through a separate standalone app that is supplied by AT&T which is a bit lacking. There's a way to get voicemail delivered in another way?

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesnt AT&T charge for that service..like Verizon? If you dont want to pay..give Google Voice a try..Sort of the same thing but you can access all your voicemails online, it will transcribe your message for you and send it to you in a text (though its not exactly 100% accurate lol)..etc

The visual voicemail is free AFAIK. Just not integrated. I'll check out Google voice though. Thanks.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

They don't charge for it.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want AT&T visual voicemail to transcribe your messages yes it does cost! But just to use the basic features is free. Google Voice is much much much better, however I can't seem to make it work on my ONE out of the box. I know there are some manual configurations posted to get it to work but I don't wanna jump through hoops. Hopefully in time it will just work.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Essentially you get a google voice number, which you in turn forward all your calls to (but people still call your personal number). If you dont pick up, the other person leaves a message, which you can view and listen to on your google voice page

And yeah it took a small amount of work to set it up since it kept telling me that my carrier configurations were compatible or something to that effect..eventually I did get it working

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
My favorite is youmail, you can customize it to have different greetings for your callers ... For example unknown numbers are greeted to a message telling them that I don't accept calls from blocked numbers, and then hangs up on them. If a friend calls it greets them by name (based on their caller ID) for example "Hello John, Jason is not available at them moment, please leave a message.) ... Youmail does have a free service, however I have been paying for it for several years. I just love it!

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My favorite is youmail, you can customize it to have different greetings for your callers ... For example unknown numbers are greeted to a message telling them that I don't accept calls from blocked numbers, and then hangs up on them. If a friend calls it greets them by name (based on their caller ID) for example "Hello John, Jason is not available at them moment, please leave a message.) ... Youmail does have a free service, however I have been paying for it for several years. I just love it!

Awesome. These both sound like good alternatives. Two quick questions. Does it show the count on the icon? Also if I hit callback can I make it call back from my cell phone number versus the one it's being forwarded to?