How much did the aluminum unibody and overall build quality...

How much did the alum. unibody and build quality have to do with your HTC One purchase?

• Total voters

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Yep I like the aluminum body, but that alone does not equal build quality. The one x had great build quality.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Care to elaborate upon that sentiment?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Yeah, i have had nothing but quality problems with my One's. First one had dead pixels, huge gaps at the top and bottom grills, and chips around the sim tray right out of the box. Returned it and again dead pixels and gaps. Swapped out the second one and still have dead pixels, a minor gap at the top, and this one had 2 scratches on the back right out of the box. I can't return it to AT&T anymore and HTC said they would contact me about the matter, it has been 3 weeks still no contact from HTC.
Im just getting rid of the thing and never buying another HTC unless they can blow the android market out of the water with their next phone. Plus Sense 5 to me feels more like gingerbread than jellybean. Its fast, sure, but seems to be missing little things like notification settings and clearing all apps at once instead of swiping each one away.

Edit: And I forgot to mention the hair under the screen on this third one.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, i have had nothing but quality problems with my One's. First one had dead pixels, huge gaps at the top and bottom grills, and chips around the sim tray right out of the box. Returned it and again dead pixels and gaps. Swapped out the second one and still have dead pixels, a minor gap at the top, and this one had 2 scratches on the back right out of the box. I can't return it to AT&T anymore and HTC said they would contact me about the matter, it has been 3 weeks still no contact from HTC.
Im just getting rid of the thing and never buying another HTC unless they can blow the android market out of the water with their next phone. Plus Sense 5 to me feels more like gingerbread than jellybean. Its fast, sure, but seems to be missing little things like notification settings and clearing all apps at once instead of swiping each one away.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the One. Good luck with the Nexus--your story with the One sounds very similar to both my experience and that of others with Google and the Nexus. I had to return mine twice for build quality issues (both screen related) and dealing with Google is no picnic either--certainly don't have any sense of urgency.

And I realize it's moot at this point but you can clear all notification at once on the One--little X in the upper right corner of the notification pane.

Again, best of luck with the Nexus 4--hope you have better luck, and enjoy it more than I did (another story for another thread).

To answer the OP's questions--very significant part of my decision (50-80%), with the minimalist feeling of Sense just behind it. I've used two different Galaxy models in the past (Nexus, Note II) and just really don't like the plastic build and cheap feel (realize not cheaply made, just feels cheap in the hand, IMO) of Samsung devices and the Nexus just fell short of my needs/expectations. I've been a previous using of every model of iPhone and criticize the flaws of iOS all you like, the build materials of iPhones are second to none (debatable now with the One ;)) and I would only get another Android device when a model was available with similar design/feel--finally have it with the One.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the One. Good luck with the Nexus--your story with the One sounds very similar to both my experience and that of others with Google and the Nexus. I had to return mine twice for build quality issues (both screen related) and dealing with Google is no picnic either--certainly don't have any sense of urgency.

And I realize it's moot at this point but you can clear all notification at once on the One--little X in the upper right corner of the notification pane.

Again, best of luck with the Nexus 4--hope you have better luck, and enjoy it more than I did (another story for another thread).

Thanks, Im hoping by now google has worked out most of the quality issues of the nexus.

And I meant clearing all the apps like when you double tap the home key and bring up recent apps, to clear them you have to swipe them individually, not huge deal since I dont do it all the time anyway its just kinda annoying.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Im hoping by now google has worked out most of the quality issues of the nexus.

And I meant clearing all the apps like when you double tap the home key and bring up recent apps, to clear them you have to swipe them individually, not huge deal since I dont do it all the time anyway its just kinda annoying.

Ahh, gotcha...and completely agree. I don't like the 9 app limit or the inability to clear all from the multitasking tray either but as you mentioned, not something I'm affected by very often so certainly livable.

I don't have my Nexus 4 any longer so I may certainly be remembering incorrectly but IIRC, I don't believe stock Android has an option to clear all apps from the multitasking tray either.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have my Nexus 4 any longer so I may certainly be remembering incorrectly but IIRC, I don't believe stock Android has an option to clear all apps from the multitasking tray either.
Yeah that might be something I remember from touchwiz thinking it was on all android phones.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Just pulled out my Nexus 7--haven't used it in a while as I handed it down to my daughter and confirmed there is no 'clear all' option in the multitasking tray instock Android either. Like you, a minor pet peeve of mine and it's inclusion by Samsung is one of the few redeeming qualities I find in TouchWiz.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Just pulled out my Nexus 7--haven't used it in a while as I handed it down to my daughter and confirmed there is no 'clear all' option in the multitasking tray instock Android either. Like you, a minor pet peeve of mine and it's inclusion by Samsung is one of the few redeeming qualities I find in TouchWiz.
Thanks for clearing that up.

And who new? Samsung actually has some useful software features.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine because it was an HTC first and foremost! the build, blinkfeed, front stereo speakers, and awesome camera are just icing on the cake!

Posted via Android Central App

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I appreciate the feedback. No idea if you did this or not, but if you took it back to the same store every time chances are the phones were from the same lot.
Just so anyone reading this knows, take it back once and if you get another bad handset, don't expect a good one until they sell through the existing stock.
My best practice is return one time. If you get a lemon call and speak to the Store Manager and inform him/her they may have a bunch of bad products. Also let them know you'll be taking the latest unacceptable device to another store to swap it out again.
There are two kinds of managers: ones who will go through channels at the cost of sales to return the bad batch and get ones that are working, and ones who will sell them anyway to make a sales goal. Doing it this way helps the first kind without putting yourself in the position of being taken advantage of by the latter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It affected my decision alot. I like the feel and the quality. Itll probably dent before it breaks. Most plastic phones creak and make noise when u talk on then it kinds gets annoying. I also like the lgog a lot it's a very solid feeling phone but made from a different and completely opposite material, glass. It's nice but more fragile.

A lot of ppl will find anything to complain about in a phone. I can see the major things but small gaps and if something does align perfectly they don't like it. But that's there opinion. It's also understandable if someone gets a bad phone too. But being so crucial as to how far the holes in the speaker grill are spaced is just doing to complain.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Reviewers and HTC lovers always confuse build MATERIALS with build QUAILTY. Heck I own two Ones and love the choice of materials but it is in no way built better than my S4 which is at least as good, more durable and has superior ergonomics.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Reviewers and HTC lovers always confuse build MATERIALS with build QUAILTY. Heck I own two Ones and love the choice of materials but it is in no way built better than my S4 which is at least as good, more durable and has superior ergonomics.
Agreed. The choice of materials is great but the One isn't as comfortable to use as the S4 and seems to me more prone to scratching and other noticeable wear which is not fixable/replaceable.

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Good point that build quality and material quality are 2 very different things. I personally think the s4 has a great build which is an extension of what they did on the s3 (witch my daughter owns). For me i like the build materials used in the One. I'm a current owner of an htc evo lte so the One appeals to me for many reasons...

First is the material. I've dropped my evo numerous times and it can really take a beating. The downside with my evo is the black slowly wares off the edges because i only use a case at work (pt case and holster) and this case rubs as it slides on and off. After time it just shows ware but to this date i have not one scratch or dent on it so i'm happy about that. I wont get a case like this when i get my One. Other than that i love the aluminum. My daughters s3 took a very short fall onto ceramic tile and broke (first fall, yea she's more careful than i am lol) Now i'm paying 150$ to replace her phone

Second thing about the one is sense 5. I've used adw.ex for ages (most likely still will) but sense 5 has me excited. Its a total overhaul from sense 4. The s4 feels just a bit dated to me.

The new features in sense 5 like zoe, blinkfeed, highlights, low light camera... this is what i like and what i'm more excited about

So i'd say sure the build and material quality is a draw for me to the One as my evo has (to me) proven to be more sturdy than my daughters s3 Thats is not me bashing the s3, s4 or samsung at all as i think they're great top notch phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol