HTC One Black, Aluminum edges wearing to silver.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It is anodized, not painted. Get your facts straight.

Are you sure? Anodized aluminum is nearly impossible to wear the finish off of. I've got motorcycle parts, like brake and clutch levers, that are black anodized are still look nearly new after several years of use. The finish should not be wearing off of an anodized phone within weeks of purchase, unless something went very wrong with the manufacturing process.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure? Anodized aluminum is nearly impossible to wear the finish off of. I've got motorcycle parts, like brake and clutch levers, that are black anodized are still look nearly new after several years of use. The finish should not be wearing off of an anodized phone within weeks of purchase, unless something went very wrong with the manufacturing process.

I have cookware that is anodized, put it through heavy use with whisks, etc. As far as I knew, anodized just meant to help keep aluminum from oxidizing, because as soon as it hits oxygen is oxidizes, similar to calcium.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
And have your whisks rubbed away the anodized finish? Yes, anodizing protects the aluminum from oxidation, but it also results in a much harder surface than bare aluminum. From Wikipedia:
Anodic films are generally much stronger and more adherent than most types of paint and metal plating, but also more brittle.

A bit more research shows that there are multiple chemical processes for anodizing, and some result in harder surfaces than others. Type III (hard coat) anodizing requires sulfuric acid in a more complex process. The thickness of the anodized layer also factors into wear resistance. It would appear HTC is using about as thin a layer as is possible, and not using a hard anodizing process. I would guess your cookware, and my levers, are hard-anodized.

Regardless, I'd be pretty disappointed if my supposedly rugged, "all-metal" phone showed surface wear within a matter of weeks. Heck, a painted surface will hold up better than that.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry...got distracted. No adverse results from scratches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So when deciding to get the S3 and HTC one- I went away from the HTC because people said the battery wasn't as good- those of you that have it other than the chipping do you guys like the HTC one?

Battery is great. I like my One. I hear callers better, the audio is awesome, and the display is outta this world. (I came from a BB 9810.)

While I would have preferred a black one, I didn't feel like waiting, but I have mine cased and holstered so, other than the speaker grills, the color is irrelevant.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It is anodized, not painted. Get your facts straight.

Relax. If it scratches super easy, what's the difference? I think the point is more so that the black scratches than it is what exact process it went through to put the black on. No one is slamming the One here, just discussing an issue.

obnpolo

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for the pictures, borrowed someone's iPhone with terrible macro shots. Took it in after and Sprint gave me another no questions asked. The rep said this is the first time hes seen something like this happen over the course of a few days. Three of the four corners had this kind of damage, the top left with most.
58225730.jpg
97320690.jpg
40432456.jpg

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happening with my EVO lte. Took a year though.

Pt case on and off every day in my case.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Heck, I would just get some turpentine and strip the black off the rest. Then you would have a sleek stealth black "one" with chrome top and bottom edges like the silver one. The only downside is that it would be privy to radar tracking and missile attacks as it's not "stealth" anymore. Shoot, I bet it could even be seen from space!!

Fhenrus

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask but... is the anodized system the same as with the iPhone? And, is there an unlocked black version? I only hear stories of AT-T
's and Sprint's blacks.

59er9er

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Here's my theory. The finish on the black One is pretty good, given that I've had mine naked for close to 2 weeks. What I noticed when I took the phone out of the box were two small dots, in slightly different shades of black on the lower speaker grill. I probably only noticed these because it was a beautiful day and i was sitting in my screened in porch when I unboxed it. I figured this was some touch up paint that HTC applied prior to shipping. A few days later after several trips into and out of my pocket, the black dots were gone and in the place of one of them was bare aluminum. I didn't bother exchanging my unit because I was extremely please with everything else that others had pointed out as issues, like the flushness of the volume rocker and power button as well as gaps along the top and/or bottom. Overall I'm still extremely happy with this phone and decided it wasn't worth exchanging it for another one only to find other flaws. I'll continue to keep it naked because it's just such a sweet looking phone but i may opt for insurance through AT&T because unlike the iPhone I don't see a cottage industry popping up to do HTC One repairs.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I've posted in other threads about this concern. I am within my 14 days of returning, think the Silver would be a better way to avoid this? Or I can always keep a sharpie around. :)