09-08-2013 08:17 AM
45 12
tools
    Is anyone else using the HTC One having this problem? I've had the phone for 8 days, and I can see the corners are starting to wear from black to a shiny silver. Sprint is allowing me 14 days to return, so I might have to make a change.
    05-20-2013 10:54 AM
    Is anyone else using the HTC One having this problem? I've had the phone for 8 days, and I can see the corners are starting to wear from black to a shiny silver. Sprint is allowing me 14 days to return, so I might have to make a change.
    Not bashing the device, but that is essentially painted aluminum. Eventually it will flake off, chip, etc. Seems a shame too, the black looks really sleek.
    05-20-2013 11:03 AM
    Not that it helps but I experienced the same with my iPhone 5. One of the reasons I was happy with the white one.

Posted via Android Central App
    daviddlt likes this.
    05-20-2013 11:08 AM
    The Stealth Black is perhaps the nicest looking phone I've ever seen but I got 2 silvers for the reasons stated by OP.
    05-20-2013 11:15 AM
    I am on my 2nd black one as the back scratches easy
    This metal was definitely dipped in black pvt and is not a natural coat so it will scratch, chip & fade easily.
    05-20-2013 11:37 AM
    Black is amazing but you really have to take care of it. My first car was Black and it was a PITA.

Both One & S4 looks amazing, when I pre-ordered my S4 I really wanted it.
    05-20-2013 12:37 PM
    Not bashing the device, but that is essentially painted aluminum. Eventually it will flake off, chip, etc. Seems a shame too, the black looks really sleek.
    It is anodized, not painted. Get your facts straight.

OP, can you post some photos? I want to see this. This was a concern for me in getting a black one.
    Topgonzo likes this.
    05-20-2013 01:57 PM
    So when deciding to get the S3 and HTC one- I went away from the HTC because people said the battery wasn't as good- those of you that have it other than the chipping do you guys like the HTC one?
    05-20-2013 02:32 PM
    So when deciding to get the S3 and HTC one- I went away from the HTC because people said the battery wasn't as good- those of you that have it other than the chipping do you guys like the HTC one?
    Love it. Only issue is the unresponsive buttons.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-20-2013 02:34 PM
    It will be anodized. This means that small bumps or very light scratches are immediately visible. Not a very good choice for a phone that's in and out of your pocket, on tables etc. Clear anodizing would have been better.

If it bugs you a lot, use a black permanent marker to touch it up. It's an old engineering trick.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    05-20-2013 02:38 PM
    Love it. Only issue is the unresponsive buttons.

Sprint's buttons are fine now with the new update.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be anodized. This means that small bumps or very light scratches are immediately visible. Not a very good choice for a phone that's in and out of your pocket, on tables etc. Clear anodizing would have been better.

If it bugs you a lot, use a black permanent marker to touch it up. It's an old engineering trick.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    The thin tip sharpie works wonders!
    05-20-2013 05:19 PM
    Sprint's buttons are fine now with the new update.

- - - Updated - - -

The thin tip sharpie works wonders!
    I'm on Att.

05-20-2013 05:23 PM
    My evo 3d had the same issue I never was able to cure it from happening
    sent from my galaxy s4
    05-20-2013 05:23 PM
    Buttons are great especially post update
    05-20-2013 05:48 PM
    05-21-2013 12:25 AM

OP, can you post some photos? I want to see this. This was a concern for me in getting a black one.
    Actually, a dye added during the anodizing process.
    05-21-2013 01:07 AM
    My friends iphone 5 did the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-21-2013 01:25 AM
    There's like four different topics being discussed, which isn't ok.

OP, can you post some pictures please for those of us that are curious?

Posted via Android Central App
    05-21-2013 02:38 AM
    I'll post some this afternoon when I snag a camera, keep posted. I apologize for the delay on those that are waiting to see.
    05-21-2013 09:05 AM
    I my self got the silver one. Glad I do not have this problem! However the black one looks pretty awesome too. I would also like to see some pictures. I remember my HOX had coloring issues with becoming stained easy. Glad we don't have that issue this time around!
    05-21-2013 09:17 AM
    Are you sure? Anodized aluminum is nearly impossible to wear the finish off of. I've got motorcycle parts, like brake and clutch levers, that are black anodized are still look nearly new after several years of use. The finish should not be wearing off of an anodized phone within weeks of purchase, unless something went very wrong with the manufacturing process.
    ConTejas likes this.
    05-21-2013 12:15 PM
    Are you sure? Anodized aluminum is nearly impossible to wear the finish off of. I've got motorcycle parts, like brake and clutch levers, that are black anodized are still look nearly new after several years of use. The finish should not be wearing off of an anodized phone within weeks of purchase, unless something went very wrong with the manufacturing process.
    I have cookware that is anodized, put it through heavy use with whisks, etc. As far as I knew, anodized just meant to help keep aluminum from oxidizing, because as soon as it hits oxygen is oxidizes, similar to calcium.
    05-21-2013 12:54 PM
    And have your whisks rubbed away the anodized finish? Yes, anodizing protects the aluminum from oxidation, but it also results in a much harder surface than bare aluminum. From Wikipedia:
    Anodic films are generally much stronger and more adherent than most types of paint and metal plating, but also more brittle.
    A bit more research shows that there are multiple chemical processes for anodizing, and some result in harder surfaces than others. Type III (hard coat) anodizing requires sulfuric acid in a more complex process. The thickness of the anodized layer also factors into wear resistance. It would appear HTC is using about as thin a layer as is possible, and not using a hard anodizing process. I would guess your cookware, and my levers, are hard-anodized.

Regardless, I'd be pretty disappointed if my supposedly rugged, "all-metal" phone showed surface wear within a matter of weeks. Heck, a painted surface will hold up better than that.
    ConTejas likes this.
    05-21-2013 02:31 PM
    Sorry...got distracted. No adverse results from scratches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    05-21-2013 02:40 PM
    Battery is great. I like my One. I hear callers better, the audio is awesome, and the display is outta this world. (I came from a BB 9810.)

While I would have preferred a black one, I didn't feel like waiting, but I have mine cased and holstered so, other than the speaker grills, the color is irrelevant.
    05-21-2013 03:46 PM
45 12