Is Samsung Paying Trolls to Attack the HTC One?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You guys are really making me want to go to a carrier store and mess with a biased rep.

"Ohh yes, the S4 is the best because of that high-quality audio, right? Ooh, let's turn off the store lights so we can see that amazing S4 camera performance! And please show me how smooth navigation is on the S4."

I would live to do that but most of my reps are not biased.although I did see an old lady try to get am iPhone 5 and the rep said what a stupid choice which pissed of her and I, I left that store though.

Posted via Android Central App

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I wonder did/do ppl make this claim about Apple...

I started with Android in Mar 2010. Android was waaaaay at the bottom in market share, only 3 phones were out at that time or 3 popular ones: Droid 1, Droid Eris, G1. Going to any diverse technology sites you saw many Apple, iPhone fans saying all kinds of negative stuff about Android. Even to this day you see it....sometimes I ask where have you been the past 3 years? Take the Xbox One reveal.....lots n lots of negativity around the web. Almost any Xbox One article is dominated by hate for MS, Xbox One. Doesnt matter that the PS4, Sony might do some of the same things that ppl are hating MS for. MS confirmed the things first so thats where the hate is aimed. I was turned off by some things MS confirmed....but I still might get one. Might....

I wouldnt put it past any company to do it...but how do you separate the paid folks from the actual fanboys? Android has gotten so popular...its no longer Android vs Apple.....now the biggest and most unruly threads are Samsung vs HTC or GS4 vs HTC One... Trolls, fanboys is the nature of the beast...it is what it is...... Wait til the next Motorola phone drops.....you might see HTC and Samsung fans team up against Motorola fans...lol.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ah I love biased reps. That's why I always go in and discuss the phone options (without buying anything) with the reps to get an idea of what they like about the phones, do my own research, then come back with the tone of "Sell me that phone or my money goes elsewhere". Works. Every. Time.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I wonder did/do ppl make this claim about Apple...

I started with Android in Mar 2010. Android was waaaaay at the bottom in market share, only 3 phones were out at that time or 3 popular ones: Droid 1, Droid Eris, G1. Going to any diverse technology sites you saw many Apple, iPhone fans saying all kinds of negative stuff about Android.
But back then Android sucked compared to iOS and those handsets are garbage.

These days you're more likely to run into someone like me who switched from iOS because it's gotten stale and Android have innovated.

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been surprised by the number of negative comments on this section of the forum about the HTC One. I've owned this phone for about two weeks now, and it is absolutely Amazing. Incidentally, the S4 forum does not have the same level of negativity, it's not even close. Also anecdotally: when I went to the local Sprint store ( privately owned) the, store manager was trashing the HTC One and pushing the S4 hard. And I went by a number of times to play with both the phones. The day I was ready to buy, he did not have two phones in stock (one for me and the other for my wife).I did not want to wait and bought them online. When I went back a week later to chat with him, he was singing a different tune, praising the One and telling me that he was selling more One's than the S4. Inviting me to come to his store if I had any problems! Additionally, it has been reported that Samsung was caught paying college students in Korea to attack the One. Early on I read a very negative comment about the One on Amazon and it was completely made up. All this is anecdotal, but can't help thinking this is going on, given Samsung's deep pockets. Given the uphill battle HTC has had, if the 5 million number of One units sold is true, it speaks to volumes about the Phone, which IMO is the best smartphone available right now, hands down.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

You did it. You cracked the case. Buy uourself a beer on me. HtC One thank you also. :beer: :eek: :banghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I told the lady at the counter I wanted an HTC One and that I wanted to trade in a phone. She took my 9810, told me $100 (Gazelle said $70 or $80, it also had a few battle scars). She then stated that I wasn't getting a new BlackBerry and she went about doing whatever it is they do with your new pocket computer/communications device before handing it over.

You should have answered with a smile and irony... something like: Really? No this phone is not for my children. He doesn't need a plastic toy now, he has lots of them. Besides he already has Nickelodeon, no need for these bubbles when messaging and noises. Also those artificial colors would make him think he has some problem with his eyes. I want a phone for myself. A premium one btw.

P.S.- I am not bashing the S4, just bushing the sales rep.

Pointing out facts, bashing the S4, if the shoe fits... Oh, you also forgot HTC One 32 gigs, S4 16 gigs.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is that the htc one is a great phone but with all the problems over at htc things aren't looking good for them. Maybe the Google version of htc one will help. I would actually choose the htc one Google over the s4 Google.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
But back then Android sucked compared to iOS and those handsets are garbage.

These days you're more likely to run into someone like me who switched from iOS because it's gotten stale and Android have innovated.

The Droid 1...thats when Android basically took off. The other 2 are debatable... You said are garbage....well yea.....to day they would be considered that by many. Back in 2010? The Droid 1 was good to great. In 2010 was the release of Froyo, 2.2. Major improvement for Android OS. 2010 also saw the release of the Droid X1, the Galaxy, the EVO, the HTC Incredible... Android was starting its rise in 2010. Ppl talked about Android in mid 2010, late 2010 like it was 2008 or 2009 and it was Android 1.0....

The Droid X1, Incredible, EVO were 3 of the top 5 selling, popular phones for 2010, early 2011....the other 2 were the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. To say Android sucked in 2010 compared to iOS....thats the point of my orig post. I'm speaking as someone who used Android when it was 1.6 or 2.0.....cant really remember now. And seen the progression. And I helped someone setup their iPhone 4. I didnt see where Android sucked vs iOS in 2010.

Last edited:

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Matter of opinion I guess. I know when I looked at Android on the G1 I told myself "We'll, I won't have to look at that again for at least 2 years." I just switched with the One because Android is now way out in front of iOS and there was finally a piece of hardware I was interested in.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I'm not sure I buy this rumor... if it's been proven, then I'm wrong. Sammy has to be aware of the adage about, "any publicity is good publicity"... when they're going up against Apple, it makes sense. 1. they think they're better and want to show it off 2. When Apple was the standard, putting your name next to theirs is good, even if people think it's silly. LG and HTC did the same thing in Time Square. If Samsung starts bringing up HTC, it's tantamount to Samsung saying "HTC is a threat to us" or at least, "HTC is in our league". I guess I wouldn't rule out covert action, but it's a high risk low reward venture, unless I'm missing something.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung hardly needs to pay shills even though they've been caught doing so. There's enough fanboys wearing horse blinds doing it for free for any phone.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So I'm not sure I buy this rumor... if it's been proven, then I'm wrong. Sammy has to be aware of the adage about, "any publicity is good publicity"... when they're going up against Apple, it makes sense. 1. they think they're better and want to show it off 2. When Apple was the standard, putting your name next to theirs is good, even if people think it's silly. LG and HTC did the same thing in Time Square. If Samsung starts bringing up HTC, it's tantamount to Samsung saying "HTC is a threat to us" or at least, "HTC is in our league". I guess I wouldn't rule out covert action, but it's a high risk low reward venture, unless I'm missing something.

It's been proven. They admitted to it.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not only then Midwest. I'm from W NY and it can go by either soda or pop there. I think it may be more a great Lakes thing.

Well I live right next to lake Erie in Ohio. What gets me going is hearing people call it sodapop

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I know this is ancient. Last week in a Sprint corporate store, I asked a question about the 2 phones and their popularity. The answer given to me was the HTC One had fewer complaints and both were selling well.

For me the interface is nothing. Size is important and removable memory and battery hits the jack pot.

Being an old fart, a big screen is habit forming. Storage of files is important and though the cloud is handy, there are times when the cloud is not accessible or able to handle the task. A downed device due to a bad battery is inexcusable.

Sent from my Sprint Note 2 via Tapatalk.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
When I bought mine I walked in and told the rep I wanted the ONE, she started heading to the display to show it to me, I told her that wasn't needed, I had never touched a one prior to this, but I knew all I needed to know about it. While she was doing her thing activating the phone, she said the s4 is coming out next week and you can always exchange it, I told her I would never own a cheap Samsung phone, she shut up after that! I do believe Samsung is paying spiffs on their phones to the reps!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21