Is Samsung Paying Trolls to Attack the HTC One?

jp25f

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been surprised by the number of negative comments on this section of the forum about the HTC One. I've owned this phone for about two weeks now, and it is absolutely Amazing. Incidentally, the S4 forum does not have the same level of negativity, it's not even close. Also anecdotally: when I went to the local Sprint store ( privately owned) the, store manager was trashing the HTC One and pushing the S4 hard. And I went by a number of times to play with both the phones. The day I was ready to buy, he did not have two phones in stock (one for me and the other for my wife).I did not want to wait and bought them online. When I went back a week later to chat with him, he was singing a different tune, praising the One and telling me that he was selling more One's than the S4. Inviting me to come to his store if I had any problems! Additionally, it has been reported that Samsung was caught paying college students in Korea to attack the One. Early on I read a very negative comment about the One on Amazon and it was completely made up. All this is anecdotal, but can't help thinking this is going on, given Samsung's deep pockets. Given the uphill battle HTC has had, if the 5 million number of One units sold is true, it speaks to volumes about the Phone, which IMO is the best smartphone available right now, hands down.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it.

Also, you must have missed the early days of the S4 forums lol. Plenty of negativity to go around.

Posted via Android Central App

wildblue

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is getting paid, but the day I went into the local ATT store to pick up my HTC One I asked the sales rep if they had any in stock. He said yes and I said "Great! I'd like a white one, please". Then he says "Are you sure? We're getting more Galaxy S4's in on Tuesday". That kind of floored me because 1) I didn't mention ANYTHING about the S4 and 2) he shouldn't be trying to sell me another handset, he should be trying to get me the one I want. The base model of both are the same price, so I was like WTH???

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Kitkat Ftw.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

NO. Kitkats are awful. Snickers are clearly the winner, because the wrapper is more aesthetically pleasing.

I keed, I keed.

The childish games of phone manufacturer and marketing are getting old. Leave mudslinging and dirty campaigning to the politicians.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is getting paid, but the day I went into the local ATT store to pick up my HTC One I asked the sales rep if they had any in stock. He said yes and I said "Great! I'd like a white one, please". Then he says "Are you sure? We're getting more Galaxy S4's in on Tuesday". That kind of floored me because 1) I didn't mention ANYTHING about the S4 and 2) he shouldn't be trying to sell me another handset, he should be trying to get me the one I want. The base model of both are the same price, so I was like WTH???

Alot of sales reps are pretty biased about phones. You also don't know if there was a sales promo going on in their store for the upsale of s4s. It happens.

wildblue

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Alot of sales reps are pretty biased about phones. You also don't know if there was a sales promo going on in their store for the upsale of s4s. It happens.

I could understand a rep doing that if they have a customer who comes in and isn't sure which phone they want. In that scenario I can certainly see him/her attempting to steer them toward a certain handset. But if someone like myself who has clearly done the research and knows exactly which phone they want it can come off as a bit arrogant and somewhat insulting that customer's intelligence. In those cases I believe it is simply bad form.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I could understand a rep doing that if they have a customer who comes in and isn't sure which phone they want. In that scenario I can certainly see him/her attempting to steer them toward a certain handset. But if someone like myself who has clearly done the research and knows exactly which phone they want it can come off as a bit arrogant and somewhat insulting that customer's intelligence. In those cases I believe it is simply bad form.

I certainly agree with you there. There is little I can stand less than an over aggressive sales man trying to shove something down your throat. Add in specifying what device you want and they ignore you...you probably handled it much better than I would have.

wildblue

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I certainly agree with you there. There is little I can stand less than an over aggressive sales man trying to shove something down your throat. Add in specifying what device you want and they ignore you...you probably handled it much better than I would have.

To be honest I was so flabbergasted that I was a bit speechless. I know I had the raised eyebrow look, and at the moment all I was able to push out were the words "Yes, I'm certain". It wasn't until a few moments later when he was in the back fetching my phone that I fully digested what had transpired and began to grind my teeth a little. :p

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I was so flabbergasted that I was a bit speechless. I know I had the raised eyebrow look, and at the moment all I was able to push out were the words "Yes, I'm certain". It wasn't until a few moments later when he was in the back fetching my phone that I fully digested what had transpired and began to grind my teeth a little. :p

You should have answered with a smile and irony... something like: Really? No this phone is not for my children. He doesn't need a plastic toy now, he has lots of them. Besides he already has Nickelodeon, no need for these bubbles when messaging and noises. Also those artificial colors would make him think he has some problem with his eyes. I want a phone for myself. A premium one btw.

P.S.- I am not bashing the S4, just bushing the sales rep.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I know it's going on! But you can't call the trolls out, it might hurt their feelings!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

That's not the reasoning behind not calling trolls out. You can't call the trolls out because calling another person a troll is a form of trolling. It's one big cycle of unproductive posting, see?

shsieh50cubes

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprise if they are on this forums..

Recently, Samsung has been exposed and reveal that they are hiring viral marketing team bashing other brands and praise S4. There are tons of documentation and photos of their viral marketing team that was went public not too long ago. That is why you see a lot of places have their Samsung ads taken off during that month. Their viral marketing isn't just target forums, also to reviewers.

Of course, Samsung didn't directly apologized for what they did, they just blame their 3rd party marketing team for making wrong decision or misunderstanding their strategy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz