Question regarding GO SMS Pro (or other apps w/ group chat)

MTerry00

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys. I'm new to the forum. Just bought a HTC one after having an iPhone since the 3g came out.

Seeing as how this is my first Android, I feel pretty lost. I am trying to figure out how to use group chat and am not having much luck.

I downloaded GO SMS Pro, and thought that it was working. However, now I can only send texts and photos. When the recipients respond, I don't receive the texts. And the few times I do, it's not in the group chat window, but a separate one.

I do have MMS Group Chat Enabled. Not sure if I need to remove the stock messaging app, or adjust any other settings.

Basically I'd like to be able to text and share photos, as well as receive texts in one group chat window. Is this possible with Go SMS or any other app?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. I'm new to the forum. Just bought a HTC one after having an iPhone since the 3g came out.

Seeing as how this is my first Android, I feel pretty lost. I am trying to figure out how to use group chat and am not having much luck.

I downloaded GO SMS Pro, and thought that it was working. However, now I can only send texts and photos. When the recipients respond, I don't receive the texts. And the few times I do, it's not in the group chat window, but a separate one.

I do have MMS Group Chat Enabled. Not sure if I need to remove the stock messaging app, or adjust any other settings.

Basically I'd like to be able to text and share photos, as well as receive texts in one group chat window. Is this possible with Go SMS or any other app?

Welcome to the forums and android. Go sms is an add on for Go launcher. Probably biggest reason it isnt working.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

MTerry00

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and android. Go sms is an add on for Go launcher. Probably biggest reason it isnt working.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Does that mean Go Launcher is not very reliable?

Is there another app that would be better?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply.

Does that mean Go Launcher is not very reliable?

Is there another app that would be better?

No. A lot of peopke use it. Tge sms us just an optional add on.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You can so group chat in the stock app. No need for 3rd party app. Just go into settings, MMS settings. Enable group messaging.
Now you can send group messages but if someone else is unable to do group chat thier responses may come back in a separate thread. May. Not always.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Try Handcent. It's better than the stock apps and group chat works fine. After you download the app, you have to download the group chat plugin and then enable group threading in the settings. After that, you're good to go. I was on a chat with about 10 people the other day and worked perfectly.

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently turned on the group MMS chat in the stock messaging app and have had no problem with incoming and outgoing group messages. The other recipients were iOS iMessage users and everything worked great. I've used GoSMS Pro in the past and it has some nice tricks but the user interface is a bit cartoonish (as are most of the skins) and the app can be buggy at times. So far I'm sticking with the stock app.

MTerry00

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently turned on the group MMS chat in the stock messaging app and have had no problem with incoming and outgoing group messages. The other recipients were iOS iMessage users and everything worked great. I've used GoSMS Pro in the past and it has some nice tricks but the user interface is a bit cartoonish (as are most of the skins) and the app can be buggy at times. So far I'm sticking with the stock app.

For some reason, Go SMS Pro isn't working at all. I am receiving no texts when the other participants send messages in their group chat window. I'm pretty sure they (iOS iMessage users) have it setup right, as before I traded my phone it was working fine.

And when I use the stock messaging app, I can send them in group chat, but I don't receive them in group chat. Each response is received in an individual window.

I feel like an old man trying to figure out simple settings....

MTerry00

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Try Handcent. It's better than the stock apps and group chat works fine. After you download the app, you have to download the group chat plugin and then enable group threading in the settings. After that, you're good to go. I was on a chat with about 10 people the other day and worked perfectly.

I think I'll try Handcent. Will I need to do anything with the stock messaging app? Delete it or adjust any settings? Or does it matter?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I'll try Handcent. Will I need to do anything with the stock messaging app? Delete it or adjust any settings? Or does it matter?

You'd probably just want to turn off notifications for the stock app then that way you don't get duplicate notifications. Some users like to freeze (disable) or remove apps they won't use. I don't recommend removing stock app IF you don't have a backup. And you'll need root and a backup program for that. So don't worry about that for now ;)

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, Go SMS Pro isn't working at all. I am receiving no texts when the other participants send messages in their group chat window. I'm pretty sure they (iOS iMessage users) have it setup right, as before I traded my phone it was working fine.

And when I use the stock messaging app, I can send them in group chat, but I don't receive them in group chat. Each response is received in an individual window.

I feel like an old man trying to figure out simple settings....

I get my group MMS messages in one thread and can send to all recipients from that thread all within the stock app. My MMS settings are:
Auto-retrieve - Checked
Priority Normal
Max message size - 300K
Group messaging - checked
Group Messaging phone number - my cell phone number was auto entered here after checking the above.

Saara Baara

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Easy. Go settings. Select advance. Click on send& receiving settings. Scroll to the very last option that says MMS group chat. Clicking that option will now keep your incoming and outgoing messaging in 1 thread.

andreamhall

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I am having similar issues and am so frustrated. I ditched iPhone 4s for HTC One and cannot receive group messages. I have tried handsense, Gosms and the stock app. I have make sure group message (MMS) is turned on, that auto retrieve is turned on, and have read blogs for hours. Still not receiving group messages. My friends can receive mine but I don't get the responses. PLEASE HELP!

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
You can so group chat in the stock app. No need for 3rd party app. Just go into settings, MMS settings. Enable group messaging.
Now you can send group messages but if someone else is unable to do group chat thier responses may come back in a separate thread. May. Not always.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

This is true, but with exceptions...

Group chat wasn't introduced to the stock Android app until 4.2.x. From my experience, it works perfectly with other Android users using the stock app (with OS ver 4.2.X), works perfectly with iOS, does not work well with Blackberry.

BigManNorm

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I just called Verizon. they said as long as iphone has imessage on, group chats will not go through to android devices... and I happen to think that's unfair and exclusive. Hope that helps.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the iMessage bug. You'll need to disable iMessage on that phone number. I can't remember the specifics but there is at least one thread talking about it here. Something about disconnecting iMessage from your phone number through the apple account or something.

nida1203

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you check your settings. In the Native texting application select the menu and Multimedia Messages (MMS), make sure Group Messaging is turned on. This should help.

I am having similar issues and am so frustrated. I ditched iPhone 4s for HTC One and cannot receive group messages. I have tried handsense, Gosms and the stock app. I have make sure group message (MMS) is turned on, that auto retrieve is turned on, and have read blogs for hours. Still not receiving group messages. My friends can receive mine but I don't get the responses. PLEASE HELP!

I have an HTC One as well, with the stock OS. Make sure you check your settings. In the Native texting application select the menu and Multimedia Messages (MMS), make sure Group Messaging is turned on. This should help.

Last edited by a moderator: