Did anyone else notice Google took away the download to device option with play music app update

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just tested pinning a song and it showed in my status bar that it downloaded it. And as you can see it now shows pinned and is viewable when only showing music on device.

pa7e7u2y.jpg

I am able to play that song when in airplane mode so it is indeed downloaded and as long as I keep it pinned it will not get deleted from cache.

That's also how it worked at least over a year ago because I took a cross county flight and did the same to listen while I was flying.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Pinned music is only cached. The entire song is not downloaded to your phone like it used to be. I was wondering about this myself. I had to download the myself to the Music Manager app on my computer and then side load them onto my phone. I wish they'd bring that option back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

That is incorrect. Google has never offered a straight-up download feature in the Play Music app. What they have offered is the 'pin' feature, which is akin to downloading but can only be played in the Play Music app. They only offer a true download option in the web interface.

theghetto

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I just purchased a single song from the google music store, then tried to figure out how to transfer this song from my phone to my computer that I just paid nearly 2 dollars for. Wow, you can pin it to your phone and play it in airplane mode, but you cant transfer to your computer even though you bought it. So you didn't really buy anything, just the rights to play the song on your single device. What a RIP!!! I'll check out the amazon music section I guess.

I read you can root your phone and get access to the folder where the files is cached, but really this seems to be quite evil on Google's part.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just purchased a single song from the google music store, then tried to figure out how to transfer this song from my phone to my computer that I just paid nearly 2 dollars for. Wow, you can pin it to your phone and play it in airplane mode, but you cant transfer to your computer even though you bought it. So you didn't really buy anything, just the rights to play the song on your single device. What a RIP!!! I'll check out the amazon music section I guess.

I read you can root your phone and get access to the folder where the files is cached, but really this seems to be quite evil on Google's part.

Umm... https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...5/http://play.google.com/music&token=lePi_Kuh

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Yes you can download your purchased music from a pc. Log into it from the pc in a browser.

theghetto

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Ahh, I see. Jumped to conclusions I did. Thanks for pointing that out. Says I can download the song 2 times from the web, or indefinitely if I install the PC based program on my computer. Why not have the same feature on the phone app then?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, I see. Jumped to conclusions I did. Thanks for pointing that out. Says I can download the song 2 times from the web, or indefinitely if I install the PC based program on my computer. Why not have the same feature on the phone app then?

Because indefinitely on the computer means a dump of your entire collection. Downloading things individually, even on a computer, is limited. I guess the thinking is you won't being downloading your entire collection onto your phone. No doubt the record companies are behind these limitations in some way. So blame them.