HTC One: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

stressedman

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

I've just joined to comment on this :(

I've just got a scratch on the screen the 3rd day it was in my pocket! with face to face with my xperia play!
This is the first phone I didn't put a protector on immediately! and saw the crazy youtube video of the guy attacking an htc one!
I'm absolutely gutted as its my first expensive phone!

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I recently started using screen protectors with my phones.

I have had good experience with spigen...but they are a little pricey. Try media devil, search for it on amazon. Best screen protector I have ever used, for only 10 bucks for two. Great customer service as well.

I had the feel of invisible shield like protectors. I prefer high quality, static application protectors.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I will say this to everyone:

In the last 5 years, I have sold THOUSANDS of phones. A vast majority of them have multiple scratches on the screen by the end of their upgrade term. Guess what would have avoided that? A $20 screen protector.

I just don't see how the risk isn't worth the investment. Spend $20 on an invisible screen protector that does you no harm.... or have a very, very, VERY good chance (95% plus) that your screen will get scratched in 2 years' time. Despite what anyone says, glass scratches when you don't even know what in the world would have scratched it. You may be the most careful person with your phone, and yet, still get a scratch.

Once again, I have sold THOUSANDS of phones. This is the trending pattern. Just buy a darn screen protector for $20, and don't worry about whether or not your screen will get scratched. Heck, Zagg and Ghost Armor will even replace the screen protector for FREE if that gets scratched....

Like Nike says: Just do it.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. My two year old EVO 3D has been used by me for a year then a younger kid for a year. Absolutely no screen scratches. Same with my EVO LTE, OG EVO, Palm Pre, etc... Current glass tech+being a little careful = no scratches, ever. Imo, it's not worth sacrificing touch sensitivity and screen acuity 24/7 for protection that you don't really need. Now a case is a good investment, given how many times I dropped the phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm gonna have to disagree here. My two year old EVO 3D has been used by me for a year then a younger kid for a year. Absolutely no screen scratches. Same with my EVO LTE, OG EVO, Palm Pre, etc... Current glass tech+being a little careful = no scratches, ever. Imo, it's not worth sacrificing touch sensitivity and screen acuity 24/7 for protection that you don't really need. Now a case is a good investment, given how many times I dropped the phones.

Same. Every single smartphone I have had has been just fine without a protector. Also once I upgraded to the S3 when it was released I've run naked.. So naked phone and no protector and my phones are fine. The only way I can see people scratching screens is simple.. Phone in with keys... Your asking for it then. I have a dedicated phone pocket.. Only the phone.. And it's good to go!

I'm actually selling the S3 to a coworker tomorrow ;).

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Hate to say it but you must not have looked hard. Especially on that palm Pre. Scratch magnet . You make no sacrifices with a good screen protector like spigen glas. But you have every right to not put a screen protector on your phone. Just don't let others actually think they won't scratch their own phone if they don't use one too.

Screens scratch. No way around it. Just a question of when.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Hate to say it but you must not have looked hard. Especially on that palm Pre. Scratch magnet . You make no sacrifices with a good screen protector like spigen glas. But you have every right to not put a screen protector on your phone. Just don't let others actually think they won't scratch their own phone if they don't use one too.

Screens scratch. No way around it. Just a question of when.

Use your own logic though... You can't tell him his doesn't scratch. It is all about how you handle a phone.. I've had my S3 since day one and believe me it doesn't have scratches. My coworker inspected the phone with me since he is buying it and doesn't want a beat up phone.. It looks just fine... But again I keep my phone in a dedicated pocket with NOTHING else in it.. So people that may put keys with a phone are of course going to get a scratch sooner or later. Mine simply is right pocket, nothing in it but the phone, and the screen facing my leg.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

That's me, dedicated phone pocket, no screen protector and screen always facing my leg. It sits on my desk screen up all day and gets used by a 6 year old pretty regularly on long trips to the store or car rides without issue. I'll never use one again, but I'm very conscious of it and I make a point to be careful.

My wife's iPhone gets thrown in her purse haphazardly all the time with keys and god knows what else is in there without an issue either. My daughter has been using my nexus 7 for over a year without an issue. Idk, just seems like to scratch them you just have to go out of your way and be downright careless with them. I'm not saying anybody is, just seems difficult to me.

Now with that said I won't go without a case but I keep it simple, TPU cases are all I use. However, if I worked in manufacturing or construction, I'd probably have an otterbox defender to be safe, though it would annoy the hell out of me.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

If you managed to keep a scratch less phone then awesome. I take care of my stuff too. I keep my phone in my pocket also the same way, nothing else in the pocket. And same for love divine. Sorry for accusing that his or her phone couldn't possibly be scratch less.

But, all it takes is a couple grains of sand and sooner or later there will be scratches.

I just cannot advise anyone to expect not to get scratches not having a screen protector. I'd keep the phone completely uncovered if I could. I think it's wise to consider a glass screen protector. That is all.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I have heard a grain of sand will scratch it. I don't believe it but then again I'm not keeping sand in my pocket. Haven't had one for years and won't ever use one. When you buy this phone there should be no real need to buy this extra crap with it or else they would just include it with the phone

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I have a dedicated phone pocket.. Only the phone.. And it's good to go!

I do the same with one more trick: put the phone in your pocket screen facing outwards. That way the display is not pressed against you even when you sit.

That kept the display on my old phone virtually scratch free for over two years.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I cracked a screen doing that once (screen in pocket facing outward) by walking into a trailer hitch haha. It was an old flip phone though.

I use screen protectors because of my work environment, and peace of mind. I bought my htc one used, at an incredible price (~300) and it looks brand new. It has one minor ( I mean minor, invisible unless you look for it) scratch on a section of the screen. I only spotted it because I was cleaning the screen in order to put my screen protector on....so the screen can scratch.

That beings said, I have had several phones since the OG EVO, and i never used screen protectors and didn't have a problem. The iphone 5 I owned scratched easily,but I got it replaced for a manufacturer defect before I sold it. My galaxy note 2 always had a screen protector and a UAG case. Even with the case, the screen protector once saved it in a drop. I had a spigen screen protector on that did the equivalent of a bust (for plastic) when I dropped in face down.

I use a media devil now on my htc one, and it is incredible. I put it on, and it completely disappeared...better than spigen.

Not everyone needs a screen protector...but I do. I am clumsy, as of late. Also, I got to the beach often on lake Michigan, and sand will kill a phone.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Yes, a screen protectors are vital to me. I have used touch-screen devices for years now and I can tell you that they're extremely important, otherwise you'll end up with loads of scratches.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I do the same with one more trick: put the phone in your pocket screen facing outwards. That way the display is not pressed against you even when you sit.

That kept the display on my old phone virtually scratch free for over two years.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

I keep mine facing my leg incase I do something stupid like walking into a wall the screen doesn't take the front force.. The back does lol . :p

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

As long as you don't throw it all over the place, put it in pockets with change or your keys, you should be fine! I also recommend cleaning the screen a few times a week though! This is the first time I have ever gone without a SP and couldn't be happier!

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I've got a scratch on my screen and I'm absolutely gutted about it. If I put a screen protector on it, will it cover the scratch so it's no longer visible? It is not there to the touch so not deep but obvious in daylight.

I've only ever tried crappy cheap protectors and hate the feel of them. Are these ones that are supposed to feel like glass as good as they seem? I love the feel of the glass when using the device but this scratch will drive me mental.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I have heard a grain of sand will scratch it. I don't believe it but then again I'm not keeping sand in my pocket. Haven't had one for years and won't ever use one. When you buy this phone there should be no real need to buy this extra crap with it or else they would just include it with the phone

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I have a screen protector on mine just in case I get a grain of sand.... :D...... After all, sand has a higher hardness than glass.

Jron954

May 8, 2013
Visit site

$20 for a screen protector??? F that!
I brought a pack of 6 for $1.80 on ebay

Posted via Android Central App

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site

I've got a scratch on my screen and I'm absolutely gutted about it. If I put a screen protector on it, will it cover the scratch so it's no longer visible? It is not there to the touch so not deep but obvious in daylight.

I've only ever tried crappy cheap protectors and hate the feel of them. Are these ones that are supposed to feel like glass as good as they seem? I love the feel of the glass when using the device but this scratch will drive me mental.

I have had scratches on smart phone screens before, and depending on how deep it was, the film actually made it not visible. Try it and see!

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app