Why does the HTC One have such latency issues? Especially audio.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Maybe...because......you may have a defective unit and we don't?

Just for the hell of it I tried NodeBeat which includes tapping and sliding notes on the screen and I didn't get any delay.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
You know I read something posted awhile back this was more am android problem than a particular phone issue and it was something Google was working on. Wish I had the link to the article.

Since I am not a musician, I wasn't aware this was an issue. But. Here is a video that claims a fix in JB:

theghetto

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes there is a noticeable and frustrating delay on some apps, I have no idea why. I switched from Iphone 4 to HTC ONE. Playing puzzles and dragons on both. There is a nearly half a second lag, probably more like 200-300 ms delay from when you move an orb to when the sound occurs. There is 0 delay on the Iphone. My friend with a galaxy note 2 does not have any sound delay with the same exact Android app.

superbleester

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is a noticeable and frustrating delay on some apps, I have no idea why. I switched from Iphone 4 to HTC ONE. Playing puzzles and dragons on both. There is a nearly half a second lag, probably more like 200-300 ms delay from when you move an orb to when the sound occurs. There is 0 delay on the Iphone. My friend with a galaxy note 2 does not have any sound delay with the same exact Android app.

It is just HTC being lazy with the sound chip and or the drivers it uses. It is fixable, but there is no demand for it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

superbleester

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe...because......you may have a defective unit and we don't?

Just for the hell of it I tried NodeBeat which includes tapping and sliding notes on the screen and I didn't get any delay.

You need a reference device man, it isn't my device, it is just a problem that is in almost every phone and apparently this one too.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
All I can tell ya is that I didn't notice any latency. I have both the Nexus 4 and the HTC One and both worked fine. The only difference is that those One speakers made the drum sound fuller. The Nexus 4 sounded like cardboard speakers.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It is just HTC being lazy with the sound chip and or the drivers it uses. It is fixable, but there is no demand for it.

It uses a Qualcomm chipset, iirc, so the blame lies with them if what you're saying is true. I downloaded it and didn't notice any lag of the type you mentioned.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
How? It is so obvious to me.

I don't get how you can not hear a noticeable delay, maybe it is because I also have a Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have any delay.

No delay at all. None. Zero. Same as on my Nexus 4 (which is a "reference device").

Please post proof that HTC is being "lazy" with their audio drivers.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
No delay at all. None. Zero. Same as on my Nexus 4 (which is a "reference device").

Did the same. Had both Nexus 4 and HTC One side by side and used the app. No latency.

Never owned an iPhone so I don't have any "reference" point beyond two Android phones running JB. One with Sense and one with stock android.

Frank Estevez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I like making music and this is a big disappointment to me. There is a 300ms delay for pianos and drum pads, it is not the app that matters. HTC was too dumb lazy too get better audio drivers and decrease latency. This really passes me off. Want to see an example? Download Electro Drum pads and see for yourself. It has a pick square icon. On my Galaxy Nexus there is 0 delay, but on the One it is unbelievable. Wow, nice going HTC.

The title of your thread implies that there are more latency issues on the One other than the audio latency on your defective device .So, what are the other issues? Or did your title just not come out the way you wanted it to?
I'm not trying to be mean in any way, I just want to know of any other issues.

superbleester

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The title of your thread implies that there are more latency issues on the One other than the audio latency on your defective device .So, what are the other issues? Or did your title just not come out the way you wanted it to?
I'm not trying to be mean in any way, I just want to know of any other issues.

Well in general Android has had issues with touch response in the past, but with Jellybean it is supposedly fixed, so we will see. Right now you defiantly can notice delays when scrolling, but that is Android 4.1's fault.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Awesome app, thanks for putting me one!
No Latency here on my device (GS4)...do you think it could be an issue from your specific device? Or is it All HTC Ones?

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I like making music and this is a big disappointment to me. There is a 300ms delay for pianos and drum pads, it is not the app that matters. HTC was too dumb lazy too get better audio drivers and decrease latency. This really passes me off. Want to see an example? Download Electro Drum pads and see for yourself. It has a pick square icon. On my Galaxy Nexus there is 0 delay, but on the One it is unbelievable. Wow, nice going HTC.

Before jumping to the conclusion that it's HTC's fault, check out other same model phones. I'd say that HTC has one of the best sound processors in a phone. It may not be adjustable but very good. I would say it would have to do with the app it's self is not comparable with the device yet.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Reading this thread made me download the app and try it out myself. The only way there can be any less of a delay with the sound is if the phone somehow starts reading my mind to play the sound before I touch the button (which I hear could be a feature in KLP)

TheWalt

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well in general Android has had issues with touch response in the past, but with Jellybean it is supposedly fixed, so we will see. Right now you defiantly can notice delays when scrolling, but that is Android 4.1's fault.

I think you just answered your own question. HTC One ships with Android 4.1.2.

McPostal

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Just tried Electro Drum pad on HTC one and I definately notice the lag. If you tap the pad with your fingertip and finger nail at the same time, you can hear your tap is before the drum sound. I could get a rhythm going: tap..drum..tap..drum..tap..drum.

tapesync

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this on mine as well.

The strange thing is that the latency doesn't seem to be present in the YouTube- and Netflix-apps...

issachar

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my HTC One

When playing Puzzle and Dragons, the audio delay is very obvious.

With YouTube app, there is no delay. However, something very strange that, if I use bluetooth earphone, the audio actually came faster than video.

This is extremely annoying.

Tim Richardson

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The latency is obvious. Put the phone on a table. Use your right hand to touch the screen, at the same time rap the table with your left hand. It's easy to get your left hand hitting the table at the same time you touch one of the drum pads. You can easily hear a delay between the table being struck and the app playing sound: that's latency. It's incredibly long on my phone, could easily be 300ms. This probably explains why key clicks are so late compared to ios devices (and the nexus 4 of my wife does much better, so does the nexus 7 we have).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The latency is obvious. Put the phone on a table. Use your right hand to touch the screen, at the same time rap the table with your left hand. It's easy to get your left hand hitting the table at the same time you touch one of the drum pads. You can easily hear a delay between the table being struck and the app playing sound: that's latency. It's incredibly long on my phone, could easily be 300ms. This probably explains why key clicks are so late compared to ios devices (and the nexus 4 of my wife does much better, so does the nexus 7 we have).

Your device may be defective . As I type this my key clicks aren't delayed or it would just be a ton of letters.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.