Use Zoe for a photo or standard photo snap?

DanX47

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I can't figure out what's better for taking still photos anywhere.
I know that if I take a Zoe I can select and frame in the clip that I want, but what do all of you use?

What are the advantages for both ways to take photos?

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
If there are things moving in the background and what not it's best to use Zoe to do object removal and pick the best shot out of them. I also took a zoe of some buddies in the pool because it has all the water moving and what not so it looks cool. But if you are taking a picture of somebody in your house that is posing for the picture I would say just a regular snap because not many people want to smile for 3.6 seconds. But if you want to get a nice pic and some good context video, id go for zoe especially when planning to make a highlight video

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Depends- Zoe will set camera settings to default, so if you want to adjusted settings in the shot, zoe is not a good choice. Otherwise zoe is the same as taking individual shots regarding quality.

Burst mode also works very nicely (just hold down the shutter) and you can use adjusted settings. But it doesn't create the mp4 video.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's the checkpoints I go through in my mind for taking photos on the One.
1. Is there motion? If so zoe.
2. Would me moving through the space I'm currently occupying look good in a highlight? If so zoe.
3. Is there potential to miss the moment? If so, zoe (or bust shot for non standard camera settings)
4. Can I absolutely get the shot without a zoe? If so, still.
Those are my basic guidelines. Of course there are other circumstances that may change what mode I use but I find those basic things to work well for in the moment picture taking. I find the more you take pictures on this thing the easier it is to decide which mode to use.

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Also got a question for you guys. What are your reccomendations for good sequence or clean burst shots? I frequent a trampoline park in and have been trying to capture a clean shot of me flipping but they always come out blurry either in a zoe or regular burst shot, even when i try to flip as slow as possible. Camera settings are always on auto so any reccomendations?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Also got a question for you guys. What are your reccomendations for good sequence or clean burst shots? I frequent a trampoline park in and have been trying to capture a clean shot of me flipping but they always come out blurry either in a zoe or regular burst shot, even when i try to flip as slow as possible. Camera settings are always on auto so any reccomendations?

Well, if it is motion blur, then you need a higher shutter speed. Unfortunately, the stock camera doesn't let you directly control shutter speed.

You could try to get it to use a higher shutter by boosting the ISO setting, but I am not sure, based on earlier discussions, if it will actually use a higher ISO - i.e. it may over ride your setting.

But, if you can get it to use a higher iso, it has to speed up the shutter to get the proper exposure.

Alternatively, you could load a camera app from the play store that allows you to set the shutter, but the one I tried, doesn't do bursts so that would make it very difficult.

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Wasnt to sure if i would be able to get a good shot either way, because the lighting in that place is very strange for some reason any camera i have ever used there looked terrible when it looked great elsewhere! But i will try boosting the iso.

Just took two shots in my office. One at ISO 1600 which is what the phone also told me when i looked at the details, which got an exposure time of 1/40 and i did a shot as ISO 100 which gave me an exposure time of 1/120.. Now im not a super camera guy, so what does this all mean!

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Biggest problem that I have with Zoe shots, is that when they auto-upload, it does all of them as individual shots. Quickly crowds the auto-backup and dropbox backup. Other then that though, I usually always use Zoe.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Biggest problem that I have with Zoe shots, is that when they auto-upload, it does all of them as individual shots. Quickly crowds the auto-backup and dropbox backup. Other then that though, I usually always use Zoe.

Yeah, changed my auto upload to flickr, it doesn't upload all the shots, just one.

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't actually use Flickr, how does it compare in ease of use to Dropbox's auto-backup and the G+ auto-backup feature? Its so easy to edit and share photos. The only thing I really don't care for is that it uploads so quickly that if I don't like a shot it is already uploaded, and of course the Zoe issue.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Wasnt to sure if i would be able to get a good shot either way, because the lighting in that place is very strange for some reason any camera i have ever used there looked terrible when it looked great elsewhere! But i will try boosting the iso.

Just took two shots in my office. One at ISO 1600 which is what the phone also told me when i looked at the details, which got an exposure time of 1/40 and i did a shot as ISO 100 which gave me an exposure time of 1/120.. Now im not a super camera guy, so what does this all mean!

Yeah, makes no sense. If using a higher ISO, it should have a faster shutter speed. In this case, it is actually slower. I think there is something screwy with the iso settings. I originally thought setting the iso would result in better shots, but found that auto ISO gives me better results. Must be something wrong with software when setting manual ISO. With ISO of 1600 the camera should be 16x as fast as 100 ISO (100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, each should double sensitivity). So, if you get a good exposure at 100 ISO and 1/120 sec, you should get a similar exposure at 1600 ISO at 1/1920 sec.

Regarding the lighting looking bad - you may need to change the white balance. I have actually found that the One does an excellent job at auto white balance, but often gym type lighting is tough to get right with out adjusting manually.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't actually use Flickr, how does it compare in ease of use to Dropbox's auto-backup and the G+ auto-backup feature? Its so easy to edit and share photos. The only thing I really don't care for is that it uploads so quickly that if I don't like a shot it is already uploaded, and of course the Zoe issue.

It is a bit of a pain, in that, you have to download the files individually, as far as I know to the computer, whereas drop box makes it available. But I am out of room in drop box and flickr is giving a terrabyte free, so, there is that.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought zoe would be stupid when I first got this phone. But I find myself using it all the time! I have a 4 year old who isn't real good at sitting still lol

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

thats easily fixed by using dropsync. youll need to get the pro version to sync multiple folders though.

KbVSs1b.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34