So I will be the first to admit. I do not know much about todays currently battery technology. But here is my question.

Is letting the battery drain as much as possible per day better than charging it say half way through the day? Example. If I charge my phone one time per day rather than say 2 times from say around 70% or less better for the battery? I sound like a moron asking this but I would really like to know how these newer batteries work. I tried to do some research but I have found no clear cut answer.

So what are the best practices for battery life over the term of the life of the phone?

How many good recharge cycles do you normally get? (I know there is no perfect answer of course.)

How often do you charge your phone? (Howm any times per day and does it really matter how often you charge? Not saying living on the wall socket.)
    05-30-2013 01:45 PM
    Just charge as needed. I wouldn't worry too much about charge cycles. Just enjoy the phone and plug it in when you need to. :-)

Posted via Android Central App
    pistos and cgardnervt like this.
    05-30-2013 02:07 PM
    Without going back to pull the links I researched, my understanding is that today's lithium-ion batteries are NOT effected by the memory issues that plagued ni-cad. This means that a charge cycle equals one complete charge and discharge, regardless of where in the cycle you begin recharging.

So whether you are at 70% or 30% when you start recharging, you still end up with the same number of total charges in the life of the battery.

The other two pieces of information I recall were:

*that it is a good idea to "condition" the battery when it's brand new by fully discharging it and fully charging it the first few times.
    *As well as not letting the battery get very low (fully discharged) after the conditioning process.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Android Central Forums
    cgardnervt likes this.
    05-30-2013 02:12 PM
    Without going back to pull the links I researched, my understanding is that today's lithium-ion batteries are NOT effected by the memory issues that plagued ni-cad. This means that a charge cycle equals one complete charge and discharge, regardless of where in the cycle you begin recharging.

So whether you are at 70% or 30% when you start recharging, you still end up with the same number of total charges in the life of the battery.

The other two pieces of information I recall were:

*that it is a good idea to "condition" the battery when it's brand new by fully discharging it and fully charging it the first few times.
    *As well as not letting the battery get very low (fully discharged) after the conditioning process.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Android Central Forums
    Great information! I have had the phone for about a week now and I have only let it charge from 10% to 100% one time. Maybe I should do it again.

I wonder because unlike the S3 I can not just replace this battery. Doing what I can so that I can resell it in a year or so and keep it in good shape for the next owner. Maybe I just worry to much! Otherwise I am loving this device!
    05-30-2013 02:20 PM
    Just charge as needed. I wouldn't worry too much about charge cycles. Just enjoy the phone and plug it in when you need to. :-)

Posted via Android Central App
    This is the best advice. Just use the phone. Charge it when you have opportunity. Keeping it topped off is better than running it down to dead. No harm in giving it some juice and then using it before it hits 100 percent.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about the newer batteries. Even the advice to "condition" the battery when you first get it is questionable/debatable. Just use the phone. Don't over-think the battery issue. :-)
    cgardnervt likes this.
    05-30-2013 02:23 PM
    05-30-2013 03:13 PM
    I can't remember where I got it but whenever I get a new toy I always charge it 100% before I start using it.

Then I let drop to 10% and charge it again full. I drop it to 50% and charge it back to 100%.

After all this I charge it whenever I need to. I know it's not necessary but it became a habit. I also wonder why I care because I'll sell it after 6-12 months.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One
    05-30-2013 03:22 PM
    How many good recharge cycles do you normally get? (I know there is no perfect answer of course.)
    How often do you charge your phone? (Howm any times per day and does it really matter how often you charge? Not saying living on the wall socket.)
    This site had some interesting information about how discharge depth affects battery charge cycle counts.
    Li-Ion vs Li-Poly, plus how do Lithium batteries work anyway?
    07-25-2013 11:48 PM