If HTC allows conversion from Sense to stock Android, would you switch?

Would you switch from Sense 5.0 to vanilla Android on your existing HTC One?

• Total voters

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
As many of you know, HTC is currently examining ways for current One users to convert to the "Nexus Experience" and run plain, vanilla, nearly-stock Android. Would you make the switch?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
No, I love pure unadulterated Android. But I refuse to give up features for a nexus experience. Sense does have it's issues but it's fundamentally good and works without lag and it looks good while doing it.
Edit
I doubt any of the advanced camera features will make it to the nexus experience device.

daviddlt

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
No, stock android is boring to me as ios on iPhone. Took back my nexus 7 for that reason.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand this - you can still do whatever you want with it, no?

Yeah but you won't have Zoe's, or Beats audio support on Stock Android. You could replace blinkfeed with something you'd prefer, but you could do that on a stock One anyway by using a different launcher, then you'd get to keep all the hardware features and application support, while getting a more Android feel out of it. And in the end, because the OS would know you don't have a menu button on the hardware, it's going to show up on screen anyway for those apps that haven't switched to the holo standards. Blame Samsung for not making that happen sooner.

Personally I don't see Sense as being in the way. Android is pretty raw, It's like comparing a Honda with a '72 Ford Bronco.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but you won't have Zoe's, or Beats audio support on Stock Android. You could replace blinkfeed with something you'd prefer, but you could do that on a stock One anyway by using a different launcher, then you'd get to keep all the hardware features and application support, while getting a more Android feel out of it. And in the end, because the OS would know you don't have a menu button on the hardware, it's going to show up on screen anyway for those apps that haven't switched to the holo standards. Blame Samsung for not making that happen sooner.

Personally I don't see Sense as being in the way. Android is pretty raw, It's like comparing a Honda with a '72 Ford Bronco.

Yeah, I agree, but I don't see how stock android is "boring". It may lack the particular features of the camera and that is why I wouldn't switch. Everything else I don't care. Plus, future upgrades from google means a lot.

I actually feel that the sense launcher is atrocious, and replaced it with a launcher on day one. I wanted to like it but, it just was unusable to me - coming from long history of custom roms and alternate launchers.

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, the Google Edition HTC One is said to maintain Beats Audio, so if they allow users of current One's to install a stock Android I'd assume the ROM would be the same as the official 'Google Edition' so you wouldn't loose Beats Audio support. All the other stuff that is part of Sense, like the camera features, would be lost though I assume, along with the use of the IR Blaster (possibly still usable with 3rd party apps like Touchsquid though?).

Personally, I don't think I'd install a stock Android on my One. I have stock Android on my Nexus 7, so when I want a stock Android experience I just use that. I like Sense and don't see a compelling reason to switch to stock Android on my One at this point. If at some point there is a feature in a new version of stock Android that I really want and may not come to the One, or will take longer than I want to wait to come to the One, then I may consider running a stock version just to get the latest version of Android straight from Google without having to wait months and months for it to be rolled into an update from HTC that then has to be tested, adjusted and approved by AT&T.

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I agree, but I don't see how stock android is "boring". It may lack the particular features of the camera and that is why I wouldn't switch. Everything else I don't care. Plus, future upgrades from google means a lot.

I actually feel that the sense launcher is atrocious, and replaced it with a launcher on day one. I wanted to like it but, it just was unusable to me - coming from long history of custom roms and alternate launchers.

I agree, having used Nova Launcher over Touchwiz on an S2 for ages, I wanted to give my new phone with its own launcher but couldn't stand it for more than a few hours in the end. Things like being able to have multiple docks/change the number of dock icons/have different docks between lockscreen and homescreen should really be coming as standard by now. Having said that, even stock Android hasn't mastered this yet.

jgreeson25

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Depends on if they can keep zoes/highlights/burst modes

My thoughts exactly. I switched from the Nexus 4 to get the camera experience on the HTC One. The next update to android would have to substantially beef up the camera and gallery apps or do something random and awesome to get me to give up the software enhancements of Sense.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Google Edition HTC One is said to maintain Beats Audio, so if they allow users of current One's to install a stock Android I'd assume the ROM would be the same as the official 'Google Edition' so you wouldn't loose Beats Audio support.

What I've read seems to confirm this. It supposedly won't have Beats icons, logos, or perhaps any visible signs of it. But it's supposed to have the Beats software (any hardware there?) built into the ROM.

Or so "they" say...

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
No way. I prefer the HTC browser, HTC e-mail client, HTC messaging app, and I really like Blinkfeed, Zoes, Highlights the TV app and remote control, and the camera app. I wouldn't give all that up for slightly quicker access to some settings or the (to me) far less interesting camera features of stock android.

For my tastes and preferences HTC Sense 5 is the first overlay that I would not hesitate to say is a clear improvement over stock android in almost every way.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Vanilla vs Sense 5

I don't really care because I use Nova Launcher Prime. Besides, I love the IR Remote too much. and Zoe is growing on me.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Depends. If they keep the camera features and support for the ir blaster, then yes. If they go bone stock, no.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You know, I don't think that I would. Stock is great, but I think sense adds some really nice design elements, and is overall a little more eye catching. Plus we would lose the camera features. It would be cool to have the option though.

Posted via my HTC One

Chandler7

May 14, 2013
Visit site
2nd week as an android user... I see yall talking about Launchers. Just started trying out Nova Launcher. Couple questions - 1. Whats the easiest way to disable NovaLauncher and return to Sense? 2. There seems to be no 'music widget' for music controls on my home screen. why? and finally, is it possible to make folders in the app drawer?
I appreciate any help.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I actually prefer stock, but in this case I think I'd stay with sense. You lose too many of the features that make this phone high end without it. Not to mention the unstandard button setup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca