HTC build "development purposes only"

Giffen23

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I bought an HTC One off a guy. It was unlocked 32GB and I payed $540. I just noticed upon rebooting it that it said: "This build is for development purposes only do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC's permission ..."

What does this mean?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I bought an HTC One off a guy. It was unlocked 32GB and I payed $540. I just noticed upon rebooting it that it said: "This build is for development purposes only do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC's permission ..."

What does this mean?

I think it means they have a custom kernel on it. This happened with some versions of the One X last year too. That time it was because early custom ROM's included a kernel that came from a leaked version of the device that was not meant for public consumption. If that's the case, you should be able to make it disappear by flashing a stock kernel (the official one), but if you don't mind the message, it is not going to hurt your device.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

What does this mean?

Means the bootloader has been unlocked. If you launch the phone in bootloader mode it should say tampered at the top.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Giffen23

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to this, what does it being unlocked mean? And it doesn't mean anything like it was a pre-release device that has bugs does it?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this, what does it being unlocked mean? And it doesn't mean anything like it was a pre-release device that has bugs does it?

No. It just means now custom ROMs and kernels can be flashed. That's what developers do and that's why you see that message. The assumption is that people who unlock bootloaders are interested in development stuff. Mine says the same thing. Keep in mind any warranty is void when bootloader is unlocked by a user. It can be relocked but will still say tampered. Just an FYI.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

An unlocked bootloader just means that you have access to the bootloader. People do this for the purposes of installing custom software. It is very unlikely that it is a pre-release device. Unlocking the device is something that's done "after market". By allowing additional access, it does represent a security risk that is not there out of the box, but in most cases that risk is extremely limited. If you are concerned about it, you can re-lock it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Also keep in mind that when the bootloader was unlocked a couple of the stock apps were removed by the process and may affect the ability to get OTAs from your carrier.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech