HTC One gets hot!!!

Bostonz

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
So I used my HTC One with my new HTC one official car dock this past weekend for a trip to Pennsylvania. I had the dock mounted on the dash board. I used my ONE primarily for navigation purposes using the HTC car mode app. 4g LTE and GPS were on as required by the Google navigation app. At first all was great. The Google nav app was outstanding. But once the pho e became fully charged. Man. The rear aluminum became burning hot to the touch. Also the LED light went from red to green when the phone was full charged, about 15 minutes later the green LED turned to a flashing red. It was at that point I grabbed the phone and realized how incredibly hot the phone was. I exited car mode to my home screen and there was a pop up warning for battery over heating. I unplug the phone from the charger and allowed it to cool down and thankfully the phone cooled down in like 5 minutes.

All background tasks were cleared before going to car mode. All other phone features were as normal. I'm running stock HTC on AT&T.

Any thoughts on causes of is that normal? I hate to say it but my previous phone the iPhone 5 never got that hot. Warm is to be expected but I could barely hold the one.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Was this during day or night driving? No surprise for it to get hot on the dashboard during the day.

Posted via Android Central App

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I use the HTC car dock all the time, and it does get warm. I've never had a battery overheating message though. If you think about it, it's not that surprising, though. At least when I do it, the screen is on all the time, on full brightness, streaming audio via pandora or the like, then bluetooth streaming to my car, with navigation running, sitting in the direct sun on the dashboard. I can't imagine a worse heat scenario unless you're using it in a sauna. I guess on the bright side, I have an A/C vent proclips mount as the base, so if it's hot in the car, there's an A/C vent blowing right on the back of the phone.

You could try using battery saver to drop the CPU speed while in the car, which might generate less heat, of turn the screen brightness down (if you can and still see it). You could also turn the screen off when you aren't actively needing it, if you leave it on the car dock home screen (or any of the stock car apps) there isn't a lock screen when you turn it back on.

bonedatt

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine has gotten that hot when using the car dock and I was also using navigation. I believe it's the aluminum back that is receptive to heat from the sun. Anyway, since I don't have the dock mounted on my windshield, I am able to adjust one of my ac vent to point towards the dock thereby constantly keeping it cool.

CasaDelGato

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my HTC one a few days, and it's gotten HOT twice. Both times in my pocket.
Both times when I had it in Camera mode before hitting the power button.
Yes, I do check to make sure the screen is off before putting it in my pocket.
Both times it got hot, the screen was on when I pulled it out of my pocket.
Nothing else in my pocket to hit the power button either.

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I love it bit noticed it got warm when charging and using....something that doesn't ever happen w my note 2...lobe both phones and just got the one...I really really do love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I think keeping it on battery saver is a must on this. Phone... Unless home or want it b brighter:thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Nemesis1512

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had my phone up to 47 degrees Celsius, or about 117 degrees Fahrenheit just in normal use.
I find that if I am on an online game I can only hold it for about 10 minutes before I feel it needs to cool, or about 20-30 minutes browsing the internet before it gets that hot.
And that is when the weather is about 15 degrees Celsius too.
Moreover, when the phone gets this hot, it does not charge fast enough to stay on. Meaning, that as I tether it, I either have to make sure there is a large air gap to try and keep it cool, or, in the summer, I have to keep it on a block of ice.
Does anyone have any solutions yet?

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
In summer in the car my phone is mounted above the air vents ... absolutely necessary when navigation running while charging.
Navigation running + charging + high ambient temperatures ... it's the worst case for all actual smartphones of the top performance classes.

Therefore perhaps some information about the allowable temperatures of a phone's battery ... because it's the phone's most sensitive component, therefore this is the temperature we might worry about.
We haven't to worry about the processor's temperature, it's allowed temperature is far above the battery's ... but its heat additionally increases the battery's temperature, the same as high ambient temperatures induce.

The Li-Ion battery's allowed temperature for discharging is up to +60C (+140F) and for charging up to +45C (+113F).

Note, the battery won't be charged if its temperature is below 0C (+32F) or above +45C (+113F) because the phone's charge controlling will protect the battery.
Therefore it'll shut down charging until the battery's temperature will meet again the charge operating range.
The red&green flashing simply indicates that the battery's controller has shut down the charging.

BTW, if the battery remains within its allowed range that means it doesn't represent any danger. But high temperatures will decrease the battery's life cycle span.