Travel from US to UK with DE: questions

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm headed to England and Scotland at the end of next week and will be using my SIM unlocked Developer's Edition One. Previous to having the HTC One, I was a Verizon customer for many years, so never had the experience of traveling to the UK, popping in a new SIM, and going about my business. A couple questions:

1) My current understanding is that the DE, while LTE/4g compatible with AT&T in the States, will not be compatible with LTE/4g in the UK (i.e., EE's service). Is that correct?
2) For those of you who live or spend time in the UK, which pay-as-you go service provider do you recommend for the best 3g coverage and most reliability? I'm traveling throughout the country, but most of my time will be spent in Northwest England (Manchester and surrounding areas), with a couple days in Glasgow, Scotland (seeing Bruce Springsteen in concert!). Deals are good, but I value reliability over small differences in cost.
3) Is there anything else I'm missing about how best to travel internationally (to the UK, specifically) with an unlocked phone?

Thanks!

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
1: Yep no 4G for you unless you have a UK device.

2: If you are in a place which has a reasonable population i.e. towns and cities then pretty much all the networks O2, Vodafone, T Mobile/Orange and 3 will be able to provide you with 3G HSPA coverage. I believe 3 tends to be the fastest, but also the weakest when you're away from population centres. Unless you're staying in a village in the middle of nowhere, your main differentiator is probably going to be value for money.

3. Nope - bring a UK power adapter for the charger :)

Last edited:

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
1: Yep no 4G for you unless you have a UK device.

2: If you are in a place which has a reasonable population i.e. towns and cities then pretty much all the networks O2, Vodafone, T Mobile/Orange and 3 will be able to provide you with 3G HSPA coverage. I believe 3 tends to be the fastest, but also the weakest when you're away from population centres. Unless you're staying in a village in the middle of nowhere, your main differentiator is probably going to be value for money.

3. Nope - bring a UK power adapter for the charger :)

Thanks for the info!!

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm headed to England and Scotland at the end of next week and will be using my SIM unlocked Developer's Edition One. Previous to having the HTC One, I was a Verizon customer for many years, so never had the experience of traveling to the UK, popping in a new SIM, and going about my business. A couple questions:

1) My current understanding is that the DE, while LTE/4g compatible with AT&T in the States, will not be compatible with LTE/4g in the UK (i.e., EE's service). Is that correct?
2) For those of you who live or spend time in the UK, which pay-as-you go service provider do you recommend for the best 3g coverage and most reliability? I'm traveling throughout the country, but most of my time will be spent in Northwest England (Manchester and surrounding areas), with a couple days in Glasgow, Scotland (seeing Bruce Springsteen in concert!). Deals are good, but I value reliability over small differences in cost.
3) Is there anything else I'm missing about how best to travel internationally (to the UK, specifically) with an unlocked phone?

Thanks!

Orange/T-Mobile (EEs 3g networks) have the highest 3g % coverage, 3 is the worst for % of UK.

Sent from my HTC One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21