Location Problem

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
At home on wifi, my location is accurate. When I go to work in Danbury, CT, my location seems to vary. Sometimes it is showing Vancouver, sometimes Utah etc. Not even close. I've found this to be the case in Sense, Maps and Google Now.
If I get a GPS lock, the location will correct itself. When I toggle it off, the next time the phone polls for location it will revert out west. This has become very frustrating.
I've tried the updated Play Store, uninstalling/reinstalling Maps, uninstalling/reinstalling Google Search and finally a hard reset. None of the above had helped.
I'm on the AT&T variant and had previously reverted to stock with the ruu. Does anyone have anything else I could try to fix this?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
it will use any wifi it can find and that may explain the varied locations. thats all i got

I wasn't specific enough with my radios. When I leave the house, I use an NFC tag in my car to turn off wifi and enable mobile data.
Also, I really wish that was the answer. That would be one super powerful wifi antenna to be able to reach across the continental US =)

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
i was not specific enough
they use any wifi you pass... those in businesses maybe even homes. of course no big wifi antennas yet. the signal is just used for location.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have found on my TMO One that if i dont use GPS for a long time, like over night for example, i find my GPS takes a while , 1-4 minutes to actually pinpoint my location. Way to long in my opinion. Some apps will show me way off. SpeedTest.net app is one of them. The other day it showed me in Florida, but im in Texas. After running maps and waiting for the GPS to stop flashing and turn a solid green it then showed me in the proper location.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have found on my TMO One that if i dont use GPS for a long time, like over night for example, i find my GPS takes a while , 1-4 minutes to actually pinpoint my location. Way to long in my opinion. Some apps will show me way off. SpeedTest.net app is one of them. The other day it showed me in Florida, but im in Texas. After running maps and waiting for the GPS to stop flashing and turn a solid green it then showed me in the proper location.

If you were using Mobile data when using speed test it mat very well place you in a different state. That location is dependant on ip address I think.

THenleySmith

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but I can't seem to get a location from my Wifi (maybe something set up wrong) so my location is about 5km off without gps lock... screws up weather and location tracking etc

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you were using Mobile data when using speed test it mat very well place you in a different state. That location is dependant on ip address I think.
Ive been using speedtest.net app for years from my GS3/EVO LTE on Sprint to my Nexus 4, GS3, Note 2, HTC One X+ and now HTC One on TMO service. ONLY the ONE has put me in some odd places.
Ingress is also taking a lot longer to find me and google maps is having location issues.. Its a phone / hardware issue in my opinion on HTC One.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Ive been using speedtest.net app for years from my GS3/EVO LTE on Sprint to my Nexus 4, GS3, Note 2, HTC One X+ and now HTC One on TMO service. ONLY the ONE has put me in some odd places.
Ingress is also taking a lot longer to find me and google maps is having location issues.. Its a phone / hardware issue in my opinion on HTC One.

If it's causing problems it sounds like a hardware issue. My One gets an almost instant lock with GPS.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The first few days i had issues. Seems to be a lot better now. SO might just be that new phone thing that has worked its self out.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an expert on this, however it seems AT&T is providing the wrong location over it's LTE signal. Open your dialer and type the following:
*#*#4636#*#*
There's a setting in this screen that disables LTE. Choose WCDMA preferred in the drop down box and you'll default to HSPA.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not to sure about other people's issues but I have only found one issue with my GPS. If I turn it on while I am inside it may not lock right away. If I'm outside I almost always never have a problem.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not to sure about other people's issues but I have only found one issue with my GPS. If I turn it on while I am inside it may not lock right away. If I'm outside I almost always never have a problem.

This issue is not with GPS. It's a location problem while on mobile network with GPS disabled.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So would this by why my Sprint One consistently shows me some 80 miles away from where I'm actually at? I've never been to the town it thinks I'm in (ever) and I have no idea why its doing it. It never did when I first purchased the phone.

I'm talking about the weather location in Sense 5, and it appears that Beautiful Widgets Weather also struggles, but less so.

Really really annoying and not livable for the next 2 years...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek