HELP HTC ONE or GALAXY S4?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlostmac1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm a recent android user here and I want to first thank everyone for contributing to this website. It has taught me a great deal and really made the transition bearable.
Anyways, I'm currently using a HTC One and satisified with the device, but I cant keep my fingers from itching everytime i see a galaxy s4. I used the Note 2 briefly before the HTC and it had excellent battery life and a very useful UI, the only problem was that it was just too big. I think i prefer the UI of the s4, but I just want some insight on what which phone people think is better. I do understand some of the comments are going to be opionated, but i'll sort through those myself.

My thoughts on the HTC One so far:
1. It has amazing build quality that is comparable with the iphone
2. amazing audio due to the beats chip
3. crisp screen
4. cool UI
5. Battery takes too long to charge
6. I'm afraid of breaking the sleep button because after that goes out, the phone will pretty much be sleeping 24/7.
7. Because of its alumium body, i feel like its more fragile and delicate, with the s4, if the back is scratched you can just go get a replacement one for cheap.

Thanks to everyone for their comments in advance!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android! The One is an excellent device and so is the S4. I own both. It really comes down to personal preference and what you use your device for.

1. Do you use your phone in bright sun a lot? If so, the One is slightly better in direct sunlight.

2. Do you like a multi-colored LED? If so, the S4 can, the One cannot.

3. Do you like to zoom and crop your pics? If so, the S4 would be a better choice. If you only view pics on your phone, the One is outstanding and the Zoe and Highlight gimmicks are excellent and cannot be had on the S4.

4. Do you listen to media mostly thru headphones? If so, the S4 is equally as capable sonically as the One. If you use the speakers, the One has no peer with the BoomSound gimmick.

5. Do you mind a black menu bar eating up screen real estate(at least temporarily until an eventual update)? If not, stay with the One. If you value a true 5" screen, in a smaller, lighter package, go with the S4.

I could go on. Why not spend some time with the S4 in a store?

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I see this all the time but I must be the only one my battery does not take a long time to charge at all

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I see this all the time but I must be the only one my battery does not take a long time to charge at all

You're not the only one. Mine charges pretty quick too

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi I'm a recent android user here and I want to first thank everyone for contributing to this website. It has taught me a great deal and really made the transition bearable.
Anyways, I'm currently using a HTC One and satisified with the device, but I cant keep my fingers from itching everytime i see a galaxy s4. I used the Note 2 briefly before the HTC and it had excellent battery life and a very useful UI, the only problem was that it was just too big. I think i prefer the UI of the s4, but I just want some insight on what which phone people think is better. I do understand some of the comments are going to be opionated, but i'll sort through those myself.

My thoughts on the HTC One so far:
1. It has amazing build quality that is comparable with the iphone
2. amazing audio due to the beats chip
3. crisp screen
4. cool UI
5. Battery takes too long to charge
6. I'm afraid of breaking the sleep button because after that goes out, the phone will pretty much be sleeping 24/7.
7. Because of its alumium body, i feel like its more fragile and delicate, with the s4, if the back is scratched you can just go get a replacement one for cheap.

Thanks to everyone for their comments in advance!

Check out the Bug Thread found at the top of this Forum page. Then check out the Bug Thread at the top of the Galaxy S4 page. These are bugs reported by actual users of the phone, not reviewers or fans of the other phone. People are reluctant to criticize a phone they bought (at least here in AC) so if they go to the trouble to comment you can probably have faith in the reports. Check the bug reports carefully, some of them are minor and some may be related to what you are actually buying a phone for. Compare the number of Bug reports to the number of phones sold and you will have a good idea as to how prevalent bugs are per each customer base. I own an S4 and would highly recommend it to you. But as Madlaw1071 posted, each phone has some things that might fill your needs better than the other.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If you like incredibly horrible button placement, then by all means go with the One. :)

Also disagree here. I like the placement of buttons. I also like how their flush. Keeps from accidental pushing.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Battery charge time is not an issue for me. The battery easily lasts all day and charge at night while I sleep. If I need a charge during the day, a 1 hr charge provides about 5 hours use.

The one's aluminum is pretty resistant to scratches. I have had mine since release date and it is pristine without a case.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Battery charge time is not an issue for me. The battery easily lasts all day and charge at night while I sleep. If I need a charge during the day, a 1 hr charge provides about 5 hours use.

The one's aluminum is pretty resistant to scratches. I have had mine since release date and it is pristine without a case.

Had mine for 2 weeks now (black) not a mark on it

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you take pictures in low light, indoors, night, action, then the One's camera wins. There's pros and cons to each. I will say don't worry about the aluminium back unless you work like a construction job (you should probably use a case with either phone here) as anodized aluminium is harder than almost anything you'll come across in your daily life. The S4 is lighter and bigger but more flexible and more prone to breaking because of that. It's all up to you. One of the biggest reasons I'll likely never own a Galaxy phone is the AMOLED screen. Color representation is far from "true" on them but to some that is a plus. Play with them both, as much as you can. I think the difference between the two is purely subjective as they are both more than capable phones.

Last edited:

AndyLu

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
i've used both phones. First i came from an iphone 5 which i got bored of. i got the s4 and loved it but there where times when the phone would lag and i would get tired of clearing the ram. also the back and menu buttons where always getting in the way of using the phone in landscape. i loved the drop down window settings which was nice to change the brightness on the fly and other things. i didn't use the air gestures of the previews at all. the S viewing case was nice but it wouldn't close well when flapping it back to type.
then i got the HTC one which is a nice phone all around. different ui like many have said. i didn't like blinkfeed so i got nova launcher to take care of that. also it didn't come with the drop window settings like samsung did. but installing a simple app fixed that.
camera on the htc one was OK. doing panoramic photos was harder and if you moved just a tiny but it would show on the photos. where as the s4 took care of small errors. i'm now waiting for an update to 4.2.2 but if it doesn't happen soon i might look for a different phone lol
also the htc one doesn't have cool accessories like the s4

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the others: battery charge time is no worse than any other phone that I've had, and possibly better, but I don't have any documentation of that. Button placement is a non-issue, for me, as I don't insist on doing things on my phone with only one hand. Mine is black, and also spotless, after three weeks.

For you, it has to come down to personal preference. Both are great phones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Figures madlaw would thank that poster. Thought he would have left by now lmao.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This makes no sense. Who cares what he likes/thanks? Next time maybe try to add something to the conversation. Thanks.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Also disagree here. I like the placement of buttons. I also like how their flush. Keeps from accidental pushing.

No, the Internet has spoken and the button placement is terrible. In fact, it's the worst thing that has ever happened to an electronic device. Please retract your stated preference immediately, or else...

Posted via my HTC One

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
All hail god internet. It's evryones personal preference bro relax just cause some people on the internet say it doesn't speak for everyone I have ZERO issue with the button layout I couldn't be more happy with this phone and the layout

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No, the Internet has spoken and the button placement is terrible. In fact, it's the worst thing that has ever happened to an electronic device. Please retract your stated preference immediately, or else...

Posted via my HTC One

The internet has NOT spoken for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon