Disabling/deleting the gmail app

RedSwedishFish

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to permanently disable the gmail app (or better yet, delete it)? Basically, I want to use my gmail account for gtalk and google voice only. (By way of background, I don't use gmail for email, but i do have some email accounts that will forward mail to my gmail account, so I do wind up having "new mail" in gmail every now and then.)

I already have the sync setting turned to OFF under settings -> accounts & sync -> auto sync is OFF and under "manage accounts," my google/gmail account is set to OFF for sync. This seemed to be working fine until I downloaded the update for the HTC one, and upon installation and reboot, all of my apps did a global sync and gmail started ticking again.

I know that I can turn off gmail notifications as a (temporary) workaround, but I'm hoping there is a more permanent solution.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to permanently disable the gmail app (or better yet, delete it)? Basically, I want to use my gmail account for gtalk and google voice only. (By way of background, I don't use gmail for email, but i do have some email accounts that will forward mail to my gmail account, so I do wind up having "new mail" in gmail every now and then.)

I already have the sync setting turned to OFF under settings -> accounts & sync -> auto sync is OFF and under "manage accounts," my google/gmail account is set to OFF for sync. This seemed to be working fine until I downloaded the update for the HTC one, and upon installation and reboot, all of my apps did a global sync and gmail started ticking again.

I know that I can turn off gmail notifications as a (temporary) workaround, but I'm hoping there is a more permanent solution.

Settings ===> Apps ===> Gmail ===> Disable

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I will try that! Didn't realize you could disable individual apps via the settings like that.

Yep! Do that with ALL apps that you don't want to take the chance of wasting system resources and / or bandwidth, especially those that might cost you money, such as navigation apps.

Cheers!

Henrik Johansson

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
First off: Sorry moderators for necroing the thread, but this was in the top google search results. Don't blame me.

Android-version: 2.3.5
HTC Sense Version 2.1

I am sorry, this solution does not work for me at all.

For various reasons, I had to change the password on my gmail account (suspected trojan on the PC). Ever since then, all the Gmail app on my HTC WildFire S does is keep bugging me about this every few hours.

I can NOT disable the App the way you say. The only thing I can do is "Force Stop" and "Clear Cache".
I don't WANT the Gmail app on my Android, because in my personal opinion; It sucks. It's clunky, it has weird sync settings, it has odd menus. It is a hundred times worse than the gmail webpage.

What am I going to do? I want this app to shut the F up. I don't want to have to remove it (it is tied in to the operating system as far as I know). But I want it to go away. If noone can give me a good answer to this, I will be forced to switch to a Windows phone (I would rather give in to MS than Apple).

Sorry for raging, but I haven't been able to find a single good answer to this in months.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why this isn't working for you, but looking at how outdated your Android and Sense versions are, could that be the issue? I understand your frustration, but I think you might be forcing yourself into far more work by switching platforms (whether iOS or WP), rather than simply getting a newer, more up-to-date phone. I've had my M7 for over a year now and have had none of these issues. As a matter of fact, my only disappointment has been the battery life, ever since the upgrade to 4.4.3. It appears that it is usually Google Services or Google Chrome to blame, when I use the battery manager.

Either way, I hope it works out for you.

Cheers!

Some-E

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I just ran into the same question, and my Android is JB 4.1.2 (Samsung Galaxy S2). There is no Disable button in the app settings.
The problem #1 for me is RAM, and that the phone only has 800 MB. Every normal app seem to consume 40 to 50 MB on the background. With or wihtout the need for memory usage optimisation, Gmail is heavy, and I think I don't need the Gmail-specific functionality in the phone. I tried Inbox as well, it has nice features like reminders, but it's also resource hoggy and I just couldn't adopt the concept so I could benefit it. I'm looking for light, fast and simple email client, and there are choises. Just need to dive in and try. Some have the reminders too.

Meanwhile I've replaced the TouchWiz (trying if it helps with memory, so far nothing special RAM benefit found but Apex Launcher has other small but really nice benefits). I also bought Autostarts app for controlling which apps can run in the background. It seems to work for some other's I've disabled (they still run fine when I open them manually). I'll try it. There just is a big list of events to disable for Gmail!

Note: Autostarts needs Android 3.0 or newer.

Sami/Finland

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to imagine that if you all are running android versions that old that these are not new devices, that being said there is always the option to root these devices. Rooting will allow you to disable, uninstall, or change any aspect you desire. You don't have to change the OS, as you see with many rooters constantly changing ROMs. This will leave you with a stable version of android, and the ability to unload the things you no longer want.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I second the rooting option for older phones. My last phone was an HTC Hero and we all know how slow that was. I rooted it and was able to get rid of all the bloatware Sprint had put on it. And I was able to only run what I wanted. Best thing I ever did for that phone. Well other than retire it for my M7. Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance