"Other" storage taking up 15GB?!?

Jason Chen1

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just got the HTC One 32GB (AT&T) yesterday, added a few apps and transferred some music. I noticed that 15.6GB of storage is being used by "Other" - does anyone know what that is and why I am experiencing that? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-08-12-58-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-08-12-58-42.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 264

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
O would do a factory reset after backing up your stuff of course. Ans or go out to a at&t store and look at a demo htc one and see that the other is on them. Lime the poster above it should only be 6 gigs or so.

Posted via Android Central App

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine, which is an AT&T model, currently show 6.63 GB used for 'Other'. No idea why yours would be so high, but I'd probably try a factory reset as suggested above.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Sprint and mine shows for "other" 6.76 GB

"Other" could be email/messages/contacts or something there of. "Other" accumulates as you use it especially if you don't delete old emails and messages and/or caches.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Sprint and mine shows for "other" 6.76 GB

"Other" could be email/messages/contacts or something there of. "Other" accumulates as you use it especially if you don't delete old emails and messages and/or caches.

Other is what the os takes up

Posted via Android Central App

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm on ATT and mine is 10.12 GB. I would like to know the answer to this also. I have the 64 GB version so it doesn't bother me now but it may later on.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm on ATT and mine is 10.12 GB. I would like to know the answer to this also. I have the 64 GB version so it doesn't bother me now but it may later on.

My wife is on ATT and she only has 7gbs of space used up. I wouldn't be surprise if it cache files being placed there or game data.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Also noticed that if I click on make more space and then click back without deleting anything it dropped to 9.99 GB. I decided to restart the phone and now it shows 10.04 GB. This is strange.

SDiablo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a TELUS HTC One, and it says OTHER is at 7.9 gigs :/ Doesnt bother me, since i have alot left, just intrigued what the hell it is! Personally, i think its the Android OS. On my other phone, IncS, it says 2gigs as other :/

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Other" storage taking up 15GB?!?

It's there because HTC wanted the people switching from WP8 to feel at home.

kyuk :p

- - - Updated - - -

It's there because HTC wanted the people switching from WP8 to feel at home.

kyuk :p

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Did you get this from att or from someone else? If from someone else is this a stock ROM? There were issues with some of the custom roms duplicating OS data therefore taking double space in the "other" section. If not custom Rom then don't apply in this case. I would do a factory reset and full wipe and then check your other afterwards. My other is just under 7gb which seems to be the normal for att model.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Did you try clearing app caches, as is suggest on your One when you have it display the available storage. For example, Facebook's cache can be a pig. Clear it. Do the same with other apps that you know bring large amounts of data across to your phone. I think you will be surprised at how much storage these app caches can take up.