Best SMS/MMS app for the One

Gothamoddisee

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If that was meant for me..

Sometimes setting a scheduled text messages ensures that I don't wake someone with a late night text- but am able to get it out to them first thing in the morning without having to wake up/remember to send it. Schedulers also help with Birthdays and holidays. Additionally, if someone has to meet a deadline - set a message, if you're throwing a party and want a day-of reminder with location and details - set yourself a scheduled message and laaaaugh all the way to the bank!

Why do you need an app?

bSmooth0015

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to import facebook pictures for Textra. I like how simple it is, testing out Chomp right now too... Didn't really care for Go or Hand. Like the fact that emoji is pretty much with all of these apps though.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with the stock messaging app? It handles group message and has a great UI, its one of my favorite things about the One

I like it as well but it's been more than a week that it started to to close when I open using the app icon on the drawer or dock. If I receive a message, I can tap the notification and the app opens to show the message. I can reply and use it normally but after closing using the task switcher (not an app killer, just closing it by swiping up) I can't open it again because I will auto close. It seems weird that I can only use it when tapping on the notification.

Luckily I don't send SMS messages, mainly receive 2-3 a day I can reply, but if this continues after the 4.2.2 update shows up, I will try Textra as it seems the cleaner looking of the bunch I saw at the Play Store.

ALLAN CASILAO

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I used ChompSMS for about a year and Handcent prior to that. For a month now, I have been using Textra.

Personally, I need a messaging app which does not slow down my phone (rooted Galaxy T959 ICS4) - even for just a millisecond. Among the 3, Textra is the fastest (and lightest). As to features, it has everything I need.

I am quoting from a blog by Abhimanyu Ghoshal entitled "Quickly Read and Reply to SMS/MMS With Textra":

There?s nothing I hate more than watching my expensive smartphone struggle just to display a simple SMS ? you?d think manufacturers would have figured out how to get this to work smoothly by now but unfortunately, even on an HTC One X, the story remains the same. Thankfully, one of the great things about Android is that you can replace just about every app for specific functions with another of your choosing. If you?re in the same boat and want to get to your texts faster, check out Textra.​

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
BY FAR he new app not many people know about "TEXTRA" super smooth, no ads, very fast, supports emoj if you download the plug in, has colors for chat bubbles if you wish to change and just works! NICE UI TOO!

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I used GoSMSPro for a couple of years. Always thought it worked great.

A few weeks ago, I switched to Chomp after reading about it in the forums. I thought I'd just give something different a try. So far, so good. The app is smooth, quick and very user friendly. Definitely happy with it.

I see a lot of folks in here raving about Textra. For anyone who has used both Chomp and Textra, I'd appreciate it if you would explain any differences between the two or significant improvements in one over the other.

Thanks.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
One not mentioned much is Messages+. Started using that because GoSMS got too bloated. It is nice with lots of features but after reading this thread I have switched to Textra and really like it. Like others have said, it is fast and light.

Posted by The Harrington via Android Central App

kanucme

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I use go sms. Doesn't crash, customizable and private box features. Tried textra, chomp and handcent. Textra has no private box, handcent had issues with maintaining my mail and private contacts and often crashed for me. Go has been safest and most reliable

Posted via Android Central App

milkplus71

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone noticed the compression when sending MMS photos with the stock message app? It shrinks mine down to 60kb when I have the max set on 1MB. I called HTC and said it was a carrier setting. I just switched from iphone and could send 1MB photos with no compression easily, so I don't know why the carrier would limit HTC. Kind of frustrating but I guess I'll have to DL a new app

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed the compression when sending MMS photos with the stock message app? It shrinks mine down to 60kb when I have the max set on 1MB. I called HTC and said it was a carrier setting. I just switched from iphone and could send 1MB photos with no compression easily, so I don't know why the carrier would limit HTC. Kind of frustrating but I guess I'll have to DL a new app

I liked the stock messaging app as well but had to switch due to the MMS size restrictions--the max option available on my device (Dev Edition on AT&T network) is only 300K. I had been using Go but with all of the recommendations here for Textra, just downloaded and will give it a go--I like a clean, simple messaging app and looks like it fits the bill.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy Textra as well, but is anyone else having group MMS issues? Due to that, I had to switch to Go SMS Pro, which is nice, but is waaay too much of what I don't need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15