So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolffieC

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Batteries don't last forever. After two years, my HTC Evo battery collapsed, could only get about an hour of use out of it. What happens if that same issue plagues this phone after a year, year and a half? Would HTC exchange the phone?

Rndomuser

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
...and here begins yet another pointless flamebait about "replaceable batteries, specifically in SGS4, vs. non-replaceable batteries in everything else"... ;)

Seriously, though. You have factory warranty? Yes? You can exchange your phone during it if you'll start getting worse battery life. Factory warranty over? Tough luck, HTC won't do anything for you for free. Buy a new phone or get a slightly cheaper subsidized model from your cellphone provider if you qualify for it. Want to get a phone with replaceable battery by a "superior" brand instead? Get it, there's nothing wrong with that. Thread over.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I own the phone, I'm not trying to start and flame wars. I dislike the SGS4.

Its a valid question. Everyone is just a little on edge due to the htc one vs s4 threads. I would suggest getting insurance on your phone. Then if your battery craps out after the initial one year warranty you can file a claim through insurance and get another. Probably should claim it lost or broken since they might not cover defective batteries. Probably not what you want to hear but that's probably the only way. Or you could try getting it replaced at your own expense but I hear it's next to impossible to open that phone up for service so it would probably be cheaper to get a warranty replacement anyways.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I say it's a good question that has been asked and talked about a lot.
If the phone is under warranty, you return it for a new one.
If not, I'm not sure what you could do.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
My thunderbolt's original battery is long dead. $10 bucks later and it's back up and running with a new battery.
Although I prefer Sense, this time I bought a Samsung for the removable battery and storage expansion of an SD card.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
...and here begins yet another pointless flamebait about "replaceable batteries, specifically in SGS4, vs. non-replaceable batteries in everything else"... ;)

Seriously, though. You have factory warranty? Yes? You can exchange your phone during it if you'll start getting worse battery life. Factory warranty over? Tough luck, HTC won't do anything for you for free. Buy a new phone or get a slightly cheaper subsidized model from your cellphone provider if you qualify for it. Want to get a phone with replaceable battery by a "superior" brand instead? Get it, there's nothing wrong with that. Thread over.
A bit of an over-reaction. Who cares about some juvenile debate, he/she's asking a legit question.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank God I never have to worry about this, I will sell it by September/October whenever hTc announces One Max (depressing, hope they don't stick with it), their 5.9" Note 3 killer.

My boy got his 2 year old iPhone 4 replaced for a Refurbished 4S at Apple Store for $179. I think he said it's their "Out of Warranty Replacement." This is why I love Apple, their Apple Store is 10 minute away and I don't have to worry about third party/shipping, etc.

We need a Google (android) Store to handle **** like this. LOL

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If these phones are popular enough, someone will figure out how to service them and set up a business repairing them and swapping batteries and so forth. Where there's a will there's a way. People thought iPods were impregnable when they first appeared, too.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
IIRC according to iFixit, the battery is behind the motherboard and binded to the midframe. I don't think there's any battery failure that wouldn't result in needing a total new phone.

Settle down there, tiger.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no need for the hostility that has been brought to this thread. Not every single person who posts about storage or battery on the HTC one is looking to start some super secret htc one/ s4 bash agenda. It was a legit question, and it has received an legit answer. The rest of the commentary was unnecessary.

OP, if for any reason your battery was to completely die in that time span, it qualifies as a hardware defect. Factory warranty may cover it, but insurance is also a very viable option.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There is no need for the hostility that has been brought to this thread. Not every single person who posts about storage or battery on the HTC one is looking to start some super secret htc one/ s4 bash agenda. It was a legit question, and it has received an legit answer. The rest of the commentary was unnecessary.

OP, if for any reason your battery was to completely die in that time span, it qualifies as a hardware defect. Factory warranty may cover it, but insurance is also a very viable option.

Not disagreeing with you, but everyone is certainly on edge. A thread like this is one that could quickly attract some unsavory elements of the forum and go downhill, which is why he reacted the way he did. But, since you've posted in here, I don't think it will now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Batteries don't last forever. After two years, my HTC Evo battery collapsed, could only get about an hour of use out of it. What happens if that same issue plagues this phone after a year, year and a half? Would HTC exchange the phone?

That's a bridge we have yet to cross. I'd imagine htc will have a program for out of warranty replacement like Apple does.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Not disagreeing with you, but everyone is certainly on edge. A thread like this is one that could quickly attract some unsavory elements of the forum and go downhill, which is why he reacted the way he did. But, since you've posted in here, I don't think it will now.

You don't have to worry about me; I have a *lot* of savor! :D

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Unless you are horrid to your battery I would assume it will last more than the two year upgrade time. HTC disabled fast charging to extend battery life so that is the first step. If you want to ensure your battery lasts the life of your contract some things you can do are: Never let your battery completely die. Avoid letting the battery getting very low as often as possible. To do these things it's pretty simple. If you have access to a means of charging, plug your phone in. Here is an article if you care to read more.How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Insurance is a waste of money. If a year passes and your battery becomes a nightmare just get the newest Nexus device. If your gonna spend $200 then just go all out. New device and a new battery! Thats what I will be doing. But I have a feeling I will sell my One in a year anyways. I seem to upgrade every year now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital