So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Insurance is a waste of money. If a year passes and your battery becomes a nightmare just get the newest Nexus device. If your gonna spend $200 then just go all out. New device and a new battery! Thats what I will be doing. But I have a feeling I will sell my One in a year anyways. I seem to upgrade every year now a days.

So your advice is to not get insurance, hope that you don't break your phone, then if the battery dies go out and get a nexus device? Oh, and you can buy a new nexus device for 200$? What if the op doesn't want a nexus device? Then what?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So your advice is to not get insurance, hope that you don't break your phone, then if the battery dies go out and get a nexus device? Oh, and you can buy a new nexus device for 200$? What if the op doesn't want a nexus device? Then what?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Then at that point its on them to figure it out. I guess you could check out SWAPPA? i mean figure this...Insurance on average is around $6.99 on most carriers. So over the course of 1 YEAR when the batter will be covered will cost you....$83.88 before any tax. Not sure if they tax this or not. Check your bill. And if they do your gonna be pushing around or over $100 for one year. Then add a $200 deductible and you got your self old hardware at a new Nexus device cost all most. And a new Nexus device as it currently stands will cost you $350 for the 16gig version or $299 for the 8gig version. Now thats not to say with whatever the next Nexus device may have more space by default. So in MY best interested its best to just pocket the insurance money and get a new Nexus device if you drop, break or the battery ****s the bed.

But your correct the Nexus device does not fit everyone's need. So its up to the OP to check out what others are doing and do whats best for them. :)

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Insurance is a waste of money. If a year passes and your battery becomes a nightmare just get the newest Nexus device. If your gonna spend $200 then just go all out. New device and a new battery! Thats what I will be doing. But I have a feeling I will sell my One in a year anyways. I seem to upgrade every year now a days.

Nexus devices are 350+ taxes...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Nexus devices are 350+ taxes...

No where did I say it was only $200. I said the detectible is $200 there for you should just go all out anyways. Read my second post with a simple break down. Sorry if its like a wall of text as I was typing it from my phone. I also said that my plan is not for everyone. I was just letting the OP know what I would do.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
No where did I say it was only $200. I said the detectible is $200 there for you should just go all out anyways. Read my second post with a simple break down. Sorry if its like a wall of text as I was typing it from my phone. I also said that my plan is not for everyone. I was just letting the OP know what I would do.

Oh, I know. There is nothing wrong with sharing what you would do in the situation. I was just confused because you said if you are going to spend $200, do it all out. Perhaps I should have read it as, if you are going to spend >200, do it all out. I apologize if it seemed like I was accusing you of anything.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You take it to someone who can open the phone.

Just because these phones don't have a easily open back doesn't mean they are sealed forever from the world.. Just means it is a little more inconvenient since you have to take it to someone who can open it.

Just get friends in this business. That's what I did for phone stuff like taking it apart ;).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I know. There is nothing wrong with sharing what you would do in the situation. I was just confused because you said if you are going to spend $200, do it all out. Perhaps I should have read it as, if you are going to spend >200, do it all out. I apologize if it seemed like I was accusing you of anything.

No apology needed Jennifer! I was just clearing it up is all. I posted again because I knew I could have been clearer my self. :)

carlostmac1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Unless you are horrid to your battery I would assume it will last more than the two year upgrade time. HTC disabled fast charging to extend battery life so that is the first step. If you want to ensure your battery lasts the life of your contract some things you can do are: Never let your battery completely die. Avoid letting the battery getting very low as often as possible. To do these things it's pretty simple. If you have access to a means of charging, plug your phone in. Here is an article if you care to read more.How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Just wanted to take the time out to thank you, you've been posting the same helpful advice on every post that pertains to battery life issues! Keep up the good work and it won't go unoticed!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
...and here begins yet another pointless flamebait about "replaceable batteries
And like all the other debates, it is completely legitimate.

The warranty probably covers batteries though. And most phones with embedded batteries can still get them replaced...it is just a much more involved process. You can replace the nexus 4 battery yourself and they sell them on eBay.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
There is no need for the hostility that has been brought to this thread. Not every single person who posts about storage or battery on the HTC one is looking to start some super secret htc one/ s4 bash agenda. It was a legit question, and it has received an legit answer. The rest of the commentary was unnecessary.

OP, if for any reason your battery was to completely die in that time span, it qualifies as a hardware defect. Factory warranty may cover it, but insurance is also a very viable option.

Dayummm, you're pretty...Anyway

Don't let the battery die, don't worry about letting the battery charge all night while you're snoring. I plug mine in when I get to 35% +- 5%. My trucks charge my phones, my car does, too. I have an older HTC charger that works, at work, and I have the one at home. Chargers are cheaper than a new phone....It'll make it two years, at least.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll never have it 2 years anyways. Love buying new phone lol

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
There is no need to knock the OP! Don't like his thread then don't respond. If the mods have an issue then they will take care of it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no need to knock the OP! Don't like his thread then don't respond. If the mods have an issue then they will take care of it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Who me? I wasn't knocking anyone. I was making jest at the fact that I have a phone addiction and never make it 2 years

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait, who had the right answer?

If the battery poops with 1 year, warranty is in effect.

If battery poops after factory warranty and before next upgrade, would HTC charge to replace? If so, how much?

I paid squaretrade $69 for a 2 year warranty (plus $99 deductible). Better than carrier insurance unless i lose the phone. So a battery replacement would cost me $168.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Unrelated to the One in particular, but I have changed the battery in every single phone I have owned after the first year (including in my Droid and GNex). After 1-2 a-day charge and discharge cycles, the original battery just doesn't hold up under heavy use. That is not a warranty issue. Frankly, those who say that a non-replaceable battery is a "complete non-issue" are overlooking those of us who want a new battery and/or extended battery (which I also had on my GNex). It isn't an issue for all users, but it is for some.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Unrelated to the One in particular, but I have changed the battery in every single phone I have owned after the first year (including in my Droid and GNex). After 1-2 a-day charge and discharge cycles, the original battery just doesn't hold up under heavy use. That is not a warranty issue. Frankly, those who say that a non-replaceable battery is a "complete non-issue" are overlooking those of us who want a new battery and/or extended battery (which I also had on my GNex). It isn't an issue for all users, but it is for some.

I don't list the droid as "having owned" in my sig because I hated that damn thing. The GNex was hated even worse....The One is completely different as I've got 21 hours as a personal best out of my battery. My GNex would have gone about 4.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Very rarely do I keep a phone long enough for the battery to become an issue; so therefore, by the time my ONE's battery starts to die out, it will be owned by someone else, after I traded in on the next best phone! LOL

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Very rarely do I keep a phone long enough for the battery to become an issue; so therefore, by the time my ONE's battery starts to die out, it will be owned by someone else, after I traded in on the next best phone! LOL

right. except that if it ends up that it is extremely costly to replace the battery on the ONE, the resale value will be terrible. I've always been jealous of iPhones for their tremendous resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03