Can I force HTC One to use wifi and NOT my 3G service?

ru55ell

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a nice shiny new HTC One, but my employers have given me a fairly miserly 1GB of data/month contract and I wanted to ask if its possible to force the phone to only ever use WiFi instead and NOT the 3G service (or do I have to simply turn "data" off in network settings?)?

Thanks,

Russ.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a nice shiny new HTC One, but my employers have given me a fairly miserly 1GB of data/month contract and I wanted to ask if its possible to force the phone to only ever use WiFi instead and NOT the 3G service (or do I have to simply turn "data" off in network settings?)?

Thanks,

Russ.

If you turn on WiFi it will automatically use it. Even if it still shows your 3G. You can prove this by opening up SpeedTest.Net app and running a speed test. When I turn my WiFi on it still shows my HSPA+ icon. But I know I'm using WiFi.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you turn on WiFi it will automatically use it. Even if it still shows your 3G. You can prove this by opening up SpeedTest.Net app and running a speed test. When I turn my WiFi on it still shows my HSPA+ icon. But I know I'm using WiFi.

This^ I think the customization Sprint does in this regard is very smart though. On a Sprint phone, if you are connected to WIFI the 3G/4G symbol is replaced by the Wifi symbol. I'm pretty sure this was done to let people know they were not using mobile data. But yeah, so long as you are on Wifi you shouldn't have to worry. The only thing that will use data then is MMS and that is likely unlimited for you. If not the data from an MMS should not be charged against your mobile data pool anyway.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This^ I think the customization Sprint does in this regard is very smart though. On a Sprint phone, if you are connected to WIFI the 3G/4G symbol is replaced by the Wifi symbol. I'm pretty sure this was done to let people know they were not using mobile data. But yeah, so long as you are on Wifi you shouldn't have to worry. The only thing that will use data then is MMS and that is likely unlimited for you. If not the data from an MMS should not be charged against your mobile data pool anyway.

My att S3 did what the sprint HTC one does. Just my one keeps the cell icon at all times.

Sent from my HTC One

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
And yes in the Settings, there's an on/off switch (right besides "Mobile data" in the main screen of Settings, which, as you might guess, will switch off mobile data (3g/2g).

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My att S3 did what the sprint HTC one does. Just my one keeps the cell icon at all times.

Sent from my HTC One

My Moto Atrix2 did also, until ATT pushed the upgrade through to ICS. Then, it did it the other way, just toggling back and forth to let you know which one was "active". The one thing it did do (when both were on) was to light up in blue, so you KNEW which one was being used.) I much prefer only one icon at a time!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My Moto Atrix2 did also, until ATT pushed the upgrade through to ICS. Then, it did it the other way, just toggling back and forth to let you know which one was "active". The one thing it did do (when both were on) was to light up in blue, so you KNEW which one was being used.) I much prefer only one icon at a time!

I agree! Then again if this is gonna be its only flaw then I certainly will take it! :) And keep fingers crossed to be allowed to disable Blinkfeed.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree! Then again if this is gonna be its only flaw then I certainly will take it! :) And keep fingers crossed to be allowed to disable Blinkfeed.

Yeah, you got that right about the only "flaw"! Since I put my parents on smartphones last month, it finally made sense to get the shared data plan, so right now, I could care less where it's getting the info from. I'm gonna have WAY more than I need! :)

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

You can't currently disable Blinkfeed but you CAN set a different panel for the Home button. Just go to a different (non-Blinkfeed) screen and then press on the screen where there's blank space. Press and hold on the panel you want to be the Home screen and drag it onto the Home button that appears on the top of the screen. That will be the new page you get when you press the Home button. You still have Blinkfeed running but at least it's not the home page.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You can't currently disable Blinkfeed but you CAN set a different panel for the Home button. Just go to a different (non-Blinkfeed) screen and then press on the screen where there's blank space. Press and hold on the panel you want to be the Home screen and drag it onto the Home button that appears on the top of the screen. That will be the new page you get when you press the Home button. You still have Blinkfeed running but at least it's not the home page.

Is this why people hate blinkfeed? They don't realize they can change the home screen? I was so confused because you can use the phone without ever seeing blinkfeed so I wondered why the hate.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I know and I have done that. But I took it a step further and just installed my first love that is Nova launcher! IMO we should be able to disable/delete the blinkfeed page. I do not personally use it. So for me its just one more screen to deal with but no longer. I still with HTC would give us this option anyways. Otherwise Sense is pretty nice and comes with some good UI options.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know and I have done that. But I took it a step further and just installed my first love that is Nova launcher! IMO we should be able to disable/delete the blinkfeed page. I do not personally use it. So for me its just one more screen to deal with but no longer. I still with HTC would give us this option anyways. Otherwise Sense is pretty nice and comes with some good UI options.

Agreed. It would be nice to have the option to delete if you wanted.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It's in reference to every phone manufacturer forcing unwanted garbage down people's throats. It boggles the mind that they all do things that make their customers unhappy. It's like forcing a small child to eat food they absolutely hate. It's like forcing an entire family to have liver once a week when none of them like liver.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
It's in reference to every phone manufacturer forcing unwanted garbage down people's throats. It boggles the mind that they all do things that make their customers unhappy. It's like forcing a small child to eat food they absolutely hate. It's like forcing an entire family to have liver once a week when none of them like liver.

That's part of what they give you.. If you want vanilla then get a Nexus or root.. You aren't forced to have to use it. Most people in general like blink feed or the many options available.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Except you rarely have to use the offending software. If you are forced to use it it's part of the device so if this upsets you I suggest finding another device that suits your needs better. I wish my car would allow me to run it on E85(for performance reasons) but that was not an option for the particular model. I can either just use regular gasoline or do a somewhat costly conversion. I chose regular gasoline and I don't make a fuss about it. Like was stated, if you do not like the software offered by HTC, Samsung and the like you don't have to use it. There are other devices or even the option to replace the phone's OS. I don't understand the complaint really.

outlawz89

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
So I have the One and I never see in my status bar that is says 3g ever...Only LTE and 4g. So is 4g technically 3g for me? Little confused about it.

Kashif KM

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site

Thanks,

Russ.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2