Is it safe to charge the battery overnight?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Knowing that it will finish charging way before you wake up?

You should be fine. I wouldn't let the phone stay on the charger for more than 8 or 9 hours consistently, but plugging it in before bed should be ok. The absolute worst thing to do is drain it completely.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
there are a few threads on this already. most people say just go and enjoy your phone. don't worry about overcharging or anything because a lot of people on this forum will be on a new phone in a year or so anyway!

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Its fine charging over night. The phone stops charging once it reaches 100% anyway. I'd say 95% of people who own a smartphone probably just leave it charging overnight.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
There's absolutely no harm in leaving it plugged in. The phone won't "overcharge" and it won't damage the battery.

Posted via Android Central App

TylerLucas

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Overcharging no, but you are exposing the battery to unneeded heat which over time has the potential to damage the battery, but I wouldn't worry about it because it is SO miniscule.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not a good idea chap. You're gonna kill your battery then your phone's going to be as good as dead hahaha

Posted via Android Central App

Very false. Not with the new batteries of today... If he was talking a battery from a few years ago sure.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Leave it charging as long as you like whenever you like. The more often you charge the longer your battery will be healthy. I've posted several times in other battery threads with a link to an article but the tldr is if you have access to a plug, charge your phone.

Mafiatounes

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
No the boogieman comes at night (just kidding).

It's safe newer batteries can have it, and the charger will stop and not overcharge

Sent From The One

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Overcharging no, but you are exposing the battery to unneeded heat which over time has the potential to damage the battery, but I wouldn't worry about it because it is SO miniscule.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

No heat at all. Mine sits next to the bed and charges at night. When it hits 100% the charging ceases and no heat is generated. The phone is asleep just like me. Gosh, now that I think about it, I'm just like my phone. I recharge when I go to sleep too! :)

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Knowing that it will finish charging way before you wake up?

Mine charges all night every night. I have a $20 docking cradle, and with AlarmClock Plus, it seves as both a clock and alarm on my nightstand. I charged my previous smart phone all night every might for 2.5 years,. The battery was still fine when I migrated to the HTC One.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's absolutely no harm in leaving it plugged in. The phone won't "overcharge" and it won't damage the battery.

True.

but you are exposing the battery to unneeded hea

False. Sorta.

Leave it charging as long as you like whenever you like. The more often you charge the longer your battery will be healthy. I've posted several times in other battery threads with a link to an article but the tldr is if you have access to a plug, charge your phone.

Very true.

Thanks everyone!

You're awesome.

Gianpiero Celano

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about risks if more than the usual time needed to fully charge.
If a battery has 2000 milliampere of energy and the charger output of 1 ampere, usually it will take 3/2 of the time meaning your battery will be charged in 3 hours.
Personally I would not leave much more plugged unless you have charged it many time not fully and you try to recover the memory effect taken.
If you have only 1 battery or/and necessity to use heavy without other chance to charge it for a while, I will do, but as now usb connection is the same as the charging one, I think if you don't damage the battery or phone you may shorten the life of the charger or may sleep bad as sometime magnetic wave near you may keep you less able to enjoy a deep relax.
I use personally dock charger mainly those one piece with integrated plug that from Chinese online eBay and co. cost like your Sunday morning coffee and you can charge batteries using at the same time the phone without worrying of where you leave it charging.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, there is no risk in keeping the phone plugged in for extended periods of time, as the phone automatically stops charging when fully charged and only starts charging again when the battery level drops a little.

On the other hand, it is not a good idea to fully drain the battery to 0%. So? don't do that. :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The HTC one has a hardware circuit, as well as software on a PMIC (Power Management Integrated Circuit -- a tiny chip that acts as a micro processor) that shunts current away from the mainboard and battery once the battery has been fully charged. You could leave it charging for weeks at a time and have little to no effect on the battery or the device.

Most consumer electronic devices have the same protection, and have for years.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Chargers use different methods for ?ready? indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

Over-discharged batteries can be ?boosted? to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Turned off as in put to sleep or completely powered off?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums