Is it safe to charge the battery overnight?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If you're gonna have your next phone in the next 1 year time, then shouldn't be a problem, if it's for long term use then don't charge it this way. Non removable battery needs more care than a removable. If you're on a S4 then go ahead with overnight charging habit.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I agree. However, according to the expert everyone is quoting, charging your phone while you are using it for extended periods is a bad idea. For example, letting it sit in the charger all day at work while listening to music is detrimental to the battery. Charging it overnight or any extended period of time is fine if the phone is idle. That's what the expert says but I think it makes sense from a layman's point of view as well.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree. However, according to the expert everyone is quoting, charging your phone while you are using it for extended periods is a bad idea. For example, letting it sit in the charger all day at work while listening to music is detrimental to the battery. Charging it overnight or any extended period of time is fine if the phone is idle. That's what the expert says but I think it makes sense from a layman's point of view as well.

For the record I don't think I ever said to charge while using, but sometimes this is almost required, like while driving and using nav/music. If you are using both you kind of have to plug the phone in to keep it alive. Despite this situation not being ideal I'm willing to bet it's less harmful than letting the phone get low before charging. Also more convenient since most people want their phone to work after getting to their destination. I'd be willing to bet just streaming music at your desk is far less harmful than the before mentioned scenario so I'd say it's probably Ok to keep it plugged in for this purpose. As far as overnight I think it's settled that that is perfectly fine to do.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For the record I don't think I ever said to charge while using, but sometimes this is almost required, like while driving and using nav/music. If you are using both you kind of have to plug the phone in to keep it alive. Despite this situation not being ideal I'm willing to bet it's less harmful than letting the phone get low before charging. Also more convenient since most people want their phone to work after getting to their destination. I'd be willing to bet just streaming music at your desk is far less harmful than the before mentioned scenario so I'd say it's probably Ok to keep it plugged in for this purpose. As far as overnight I think it's settled that that is perfectly fine to do.

Hey I wasn't referring to you. I meant the guy you referred to in a post some time ago. Sorry for the confusion. See post #26 for his comments on the negative effects of charging and using the phone at the same time.

edit: and I agree with the overnight thing.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey I wasn't referring to you. I meant the guy you referred to in a post some time ago. Sorry for the confusion. See post #26 for his comments on the negative effects of charging and using the phone at the same time.

edit: and I agree with the overnight thing.

I knew it wasn't aimed at me. I was just saying that while it's true charging while using is sub optimal, it's still probably better than not charging while using and letting the battery get very low. My suggestion to any person who wants to have the phone doing something for extended periods should use it off the charger for a short period then plugging it in again when it's gotten to like 75% battery or something. That's probably the best practice to maintain battery health in a constant use situation.

beperry1

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If you do charge overnight, it will hatch the aliens that live in your battery. It's science...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
http://lifehacker.com/5875162/how-often-should-i-charge-my-gadgets-battery-to-prolong-its-lifespan

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Definitely off topic......but since this thread has all the battery experts in it:

How about using chargers from other phones? I have a bunch of different devices & locating the charger specific to each one can be tedious.

Posted via Android Central App

I recently in the Asus forum asked if the slightly faster charger for my Transformer tablet could be safely used for the phone. The basic answer was yes, that the battery might get a bit warmer while charging, but basically no problem; yet, it was indicated, it was still preferable to use the phone's charger and only swap them "in a pinch." The difference between those two is not vast, though. I'd be careful about something that charges up the phone wayyyy faster than expected.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I recently in the Asus forum asked if the slightly faster charger for my Transformer tablet could be safely used for the phone. The basic answer was yes, that the battery might get a bit warmer while charging, but basically no problem; yet, it was indicated, it was still preferable to use the phone's charger and only swap them "in a pinch." The difference between those two is not vast, though. I'd be careful about something that charges up the phone wayyyy faster than expected.

The One will not draw more current than 1 amp so using a higher rate charger will do no harm so far as I can tell, as long as the charger is meant for phones. Another myth is charging creates battery heat. The opposite is actually true. Discharging a battery is the biggest source of heat in a phone which is why they heat up when charging and using but not just charging.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Leaving it charging all night used to be an issue, but not so much anymore. The phones, cables, and batteries are smart enough now for that not to be an issue. It is a really popular misnomer that it hurts your device. Now if your using a $5 knock off charger that may harm your device

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have registered here just because I have read all the post till here and I see that A LOT of people are speaking NON - SENSE and NONE said anything about having an multimeter to verify voltage, or no one said about the charge rate.

Sorry for my english is not my native language, I understand but it is harder to express myself. I sometimes use google translate.

Answering to the question:

- First, make a question the the manufacturer, read the device manual.
- If the phone IS LITHIUM ION / LITHIUM BATTERY you can LET the phone to be recharged over night but I do not recommend it ! It is usually not happening but there is a minor posibility to caugh fire and burn house.

The BIG QUESTION IS, IF HAVING THE BATTERY Li-Ion OVERNIGHT OR NON-STOP WILL IT get MORE or LESS LIFE CYCLES?

- The "tricky part" of leaving Li-Ion/Li-Po in the cellphone, and the cellphone plugged into the charger over night is on what I have read here on the forum, so you have two options each one with advantages and disavantages:

I ) "A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger."
So, I assume that if the phone is not turned off or if the phone is having a buggy software, or if the "stop charging control" will rely only on pcb, or there will be "micro-recharge-cycles" like a "loop", so the phone&battery will "LOOP FOREVER" when leaved @ charging overnight somewhere between 98 or 99-100%, that woud be like......uhm 4.18 Volt and 4.20 Volt. Because of this loop MAYBE the phone battery life cycle will decrease.
Some Laptop batterys are designed to stop charging/discharging after an XXXXXX number of charge-discharge cycles.

On the other hand

II) "If you take it out immediately after it's charged then you'll have to charge it sooner, getting closer to your rated limit of charges. Laptops that mostly run off of wall power usually have batteries that last longer because they are not continuously drained and recharged."

So, MAYBE in this scenario will lower the life cycle.

Explication:

- Usually a Lithium Phone Cell BATTERY will have A BUILD IN a Protection Circuit which cut the current at 4.2 V, if the voltage go more to that limit the battery WILL REACT WITH A VIOLENT FIRE FLAME or EXPLODE and is possibily to BURN the house. The Phone manufacturers had taken measures for this to NOT happen as many people will sue them in court for burning the houses down.

- I assume that NOT every phone will cut the power off (from the software) and some of them are relying only on the battery protection circuit.

- The CHARGER is NOT STOPING the charing when the battery is full, it is a simple transformer from 12V/110V/220V etc. to 5-6 Volt ! ! !
So, the charger or the laptop USB is fowarding the current non-stop to the device! ! ! And depends on the protection circuit which is build in into the phone battery to keep the battery in the safe volage limit and by the device itself (software).

- There are some "SMART" Li-Ion/Li-Po that have build in protection circuit BUT not in the case of a regular phone charger or the original phone charger that come with your phone.

Keep your battery above 75% procent charged if it is possible,
GET A MULTIMETER AND TEST THE BATTERY VOLTAGE

OVERDISCHARGE VOLTAGE LI-ION / LI-PO:

Aproximate Estimated Remaning Capacity of Li-Ion Li-Po,
as there are various mAh Li-Ion/Po cells

4.2 V ..... 100%
4.1 V ..... 85-94%
4.0 V .....75-85%
3.9V ......60%
3.8V.....60%
3.7V.....20%
3.6 V .... 0-15% (empty for practical propourses, but oky to power up a led small led for a small time period for example, and if you have a protection circuit between the battery and the led, when will reach 3.0 V the led will stop to burn, if not then the battery will drain to zero and get damaged)

or

" 4.0 under load just fully charged
3.6 under load for eons
3.0 under load Fricking dead "

"if device will drain to zero volts and could then explode if you attempt to recharge it. If you find the battery and it tests over 3 volts (entirely possible in a one-year time frame, it's still perfectly good and you can charge/use it normally. If it's under ~2.7 volts, toss it."

____ Other stuff expained ____

We have OVERCHARGE And OVERDISCHARGE.

We have VOLTAGE AND AMPERAGE, where Volt means "tension" like in a water tube and Amperage means "how much water is left to flow"

We have WATT (power) which is an relation Watts = Amps x Volts, more watt, more power. More Voltage require Less Amp, More Amp require More Voltage, for example
an Regular 100 Watt Bulb will "suck" more current in the USA at 110 Volt and a Regular 100 Watt Bulb will "suck" less in Europe at 220 Volt.

Usually the phone charger (and usb devices) are with a range of 5-6.8 Volt and with a charging rate of 320mAh, 500mAh, 550mAh, 850mAh, 1 A (1000 mAh), and a maximum of 2 A (2000 mAh).

The 320 mAh will require more time, the 2000 mAh will require less time to charge the same phone/battery.
For a 1000 mAh a good charging rate will be like ~5-6V and 500-550 mAh
For a 1700 mAh a good charging rate will be like ~5-6V and 800 mAh

Sadly I DID PUT the multimeter on a LOT of power supply or "chargers" and they don't "throw" the exact voltage and the current (mah) that they claim to do, and the claimed nominal values are ony on a few, and quality chargers, with a LOAD and without a LOAD on them.

There was TWO types of batteries on the cellphone:

A) Some old phones used NiCd or NiMH, they are similar with some slightly - tiny difference

B) New phones uses Li-Ion or Li-Po, they are similar with some tiny difference.

Note: Altrouh NiMh/NiCd is the "old cellphone technology" it really have some advantages over Lithium ones. They are JUST PERFECT for the DSLR FOTO FLASH which DRAINS and REQUIRE a battery that can Give Big Power once, a li-ion or li-po can be Damaged if you use it to very a high discharge rate, but NiCd will tolerate high discharge rate better. And, now sanyo makes eneloops which are LSD - Low Self Discharge, and hold the charge better, like 90% in a year, they do not explode, and NiMh don't suffer from the "memory effect" like the NiCd, they are just PERFECT for SMALL Solar devices like garden led, motion detection sensor with led light. But when FAST chargig is required, high enery density, lightweight, Lithium are the king / rules but saftley measures need to be take care of.

Now.... BE WARNED, LITHIUM BATTERIES ARE HIGHT EXPLOSIVE AND THEY DO CAUGHT FIRE IF NOT HANDLED PROPRETLY !

VOLTAGE RANGE:

One standard CELL OF Ni-Cd/Ni Mh is rated at 1.2 V NOT at 1.5 V like an "single use alkaline battery"

So, we can say that a 1.2V niMh.niCd will have about 0.7 Volts when discharged and approximate 1.4 Volts when is full right out of the charger.
I repeat,
ONE CELL OF NI-CD / NI-MH will have about 0.7 V - 1.4 V RANGE,

The Cellphone, mp3 player, flashlight etc. Lithium based battery is rated at 3.7 Volt

BUT

Usually the Li-Ion and LiPo have an protection circuit which will cut the current in a voltage range! There are Lithium based battery with NO circuit protection, for example some of laptop battery cell 18650, comes in variat WITH and WITHOUT PCB. Electronic ciggars, flaslights included!

So....

Home stuff or Cell Phone Lithium battery will have a range of aproximate 2.8 or 3 to 4.2 Volt.

The pcb usually is from 3.0 V and from 4.2 V for HOME applications.

FOR MILITARY APLICATION USUALLY IS LIKE 3.2-4.0 Volt.

Now, how is the battery charging controled:

A) Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh ===>>> THE VOLTAGE OF THE NICD and NIMH IT IS NOT RELEVANT FOR CONTROLING THE CHARGING ! <<<===

1) Time based (for example an empty battery of 1.2 Volts and 1000 mAh will recharge fully in an approximate time range of ~ 10-16 Hours at a rate of 2-3 Volts and 120 mAh)
2) Delta V protection (the circuit from a "smart" charger will terminate the charging by measuring a little drop of Voltage, for example from 1.45 Volt, the voltage will make a tiny drop to 1.42 Volt, and will stop the charging. The "drop" range will a little different far as I know depending by "brand"/manufacuturer and if it is nicd or nimh)
3) Trickle charging, that means that the battery will be charged / topped with only few Amps (so if you have a small solar panel for example which have good Voltage but low amps will fully charge an NiMh/NiCd battery in a long time like a week, and will NOT damage the cell if it is being left to charging for 6 months)

Note: A "safe" discharge Voltage for NiMh will be about 0.7-0.9 Volt, while as far as I know a "safe" discharge ofr NiCd COULD be 0.5 or 0.1 Volt as NiCd is more tolerating to the over-discharge.

The only danger that you can get with Nichel battery if it is overdischarge is the "reverse polarity", so the cell will be damaged but will not explode, eventually will vent if the cell get damaged.

I REPEAT THE VOLTAGE ON NIMH TECH IS NOT RELEVANT TO FINISH A CHARGING, SO IS HARDER TO FINISH THE CHARGING CORECTLY.

B) For the Lithium based battery the VOLTAGE IS VERY RELEVANT !

1) When the Li-Ion is FULL will have 4.2 Volt and NOT 3.7 Volt ! ! !
So, IF the battery/cell/special charger IS having an PCB will cut the current/power off!
When, the Voltage (tension) will DROP the Chargeing will start again, and when it will reach 4.2 will stop and so on.

IF A CELL IS REACHING OVER 4.2 VOLT WILL EXPLODE, CAUGH FIRE, BURN HOSE, DAMAGE YOUR SKING, EYES, LEGS ETC. ! ! !
PLEASE DO NOT PLAY WITH LITHIUM ION AND HANDLE THEM WITH CARE ! IF NOT HANDLED PROPLRETLY IT WILL REACT VIOLENTLY!

Note: A minimum "safe" voltage for Lithium Ion / Polimer is at about 2.8 or 3.0 V. Going more down than that IT WILL DAMAGE THE CELL, and when charged again can EXPODE, Caugh FIRE etc. If the Cell is NOT having a protection circuit and the Voltage Drops above 2.8V the cell will be damaged with no returing back, like forever.

Last edited:

Yongki Siaw

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
This still bothers me cause I had a blackberry bold 9780 before i change to my new moto g and when i was still using the blackberry, i had to change the battery 2 times because i usually overcharge it when i sleep. So I'm asking now to get a much more confirmation, is it OK to overcharge the moto g? Cause i would really hate to see the battery swallowed like my last two battery i had with the blackberry

Posted via the Android Central App

sygys

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Leaving it charging all night used to be an issue, but not so much anymore. The phones, cables, and batteries are smart enough now for that not to be an issue. It is a really popular misnomer that it hurts your device. Now if your using a $5 knock off charger that may harm your device

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

It still is an issue. Everyone keeps saying the phone stops charging when full but that is total nonsense because if that was true you would wake up with a battery of 90% in the morning. The charger stopped around 2 am right? So why is the phone 100% then...?? Right!! Because it keeps charging. Every time the battery drops to almost 99% the charger starts charging again. So this means that you loose 1/10 of a charge cycle every night. This means 35 cycles a year extra because of letting your device charge the whole night. You could ask yourself what is 70 extra charge cycles of the 1000 you have on a li ion battery? If you charge it every night you end up using 730 cycles + the 72 extra cycles of charging over night in 2 years. This means roughly a 800 charge cycles. But keep in mind devices like my z3 have 50% left at the end of the day. So this means I only use half a cycle a night to get to 100% this means not 730 cycles but 365 in 2 years + the 72 extra cycles. So in real life does it matter to charge over night? I guess not. Because the extra cycles you loose don't even get close to the half of a 1000 charges in 2 years. Meaning you won't even notice the difference in battery life after 2 years. You will notice it because of the extra 365 charges but the 72 extra ones make almost no difference

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
yes, it does damage. Actually, Apple will have a function in iOS13 that will charge to 80% and then the rest just before you wake up. But there's a better solution, it's called Chargie and it only charges up to the level that you want, and then lets discharge down to your choice. This will protect the battery much better than if you charge to 100% every night (even in Apple's style).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc