I have 15 days to exchange my S4 for an HTC One

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Before I even got my S4, I was at extreme odds at which phone I would use my upgrade on. I spent hours researching and comparing. I am loving everything about the S4, but something tells me I missing out on something with the HTC One for some reason. Everybody is saying that it's the best Android out right now, and nobody is really saying that about the Galaxy S4. I love my S4 and it's awesome, but the HTC One is just so beautiful, and the speakers are a huge selling point as well. How are you guys liking the HTC One and should I consider swapping?

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have both. I use the One and the S4 is in my brief case as a backup. It depends on what is important to you, but I do not even think about switching back to my S4.

malikshuman

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Use your s4 for 14 days and exchange it. Use your one for 14 days then make your decision. That's what I did and there is no way I'll go back to the s4

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Use your s4 for 14 days and exchange it. Use your one for 14 days then make your decision. That's what I did and there is no way I'll go back to the s4

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

You're only allowed one exchange. From there he would have to sell the phone and hope he gets enough to buy the other up front.

OP, have you used the one in person? If not, I suggest going in store and getting some hands on with it. Remember, it doesn't matter what everyone else says about the phone. It's what functions best suit your needs. Kind of sounds to me like the s4 suits your needs, but everyone else opinions are swaying you to reconsider.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You're only allowed one exchange. From there he would have to sell the phone and hope he gets enough to buy the other up front.

OP, have you used the one in person? If not, I suggest going in store and getting some hands on with it. Remember, it doesn't matter what everyone else says about the phone. It's what functions best suit your needs. Kind of sounds to me like the s4 suits your needs, but everyone else opinions are swaying you to reconsider.

Maybe he wants to be swayed but is looking for enlightened insight from One owners to justify his thoughts. Just sayin....

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe he wants to be swayed but is looking for enlightened insight from One owners to justify his thoughts. Just sayin....

I never said he wasn't looking for enlightened insight from one owners, just that it's best he also gets some hands on with the device before hand, because he's only allowed one swap :)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I never said he wasn't looking for enlightened insight from one owners, just that it's best he also gets some hands on with the device before hand, because he's only allowed one swap :)

He's allowed one swap yes, but he stated he has spent hours researching so I'm sure he has played with the one. So if he swaps for the One, he can't go back unless like you said....he has to sell it.

My experience says is that he loves the S4 but is having second thoughts because there's some thing he just doesn't like about it. I went through the same thing, but I was able to get both and give one to my daughter. I liked the S4, but there were things that were just....blah about it, and a few other things but we won't discuss them here.

You're right though, he needs to spend a few more days playing with the One and S4 side by side.

zariman

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, I've been in the exact situation. I don't know which carrier you have, but in my experience with Verizon I was charged with a restocking fee of 35 dollars plus an upgrade fee of 30 dollars which was nonrefundable when I returned my S4. I know HTC One isn't out yet for Verizon, but I am planning on picking it up later when it releases. I would have to pay the 30 dollar upgrade fee again when I purchase the HTC One. That is a grand total of 95 dollars just so I could switch from Galaxy S4 to HTC One. Even though HTC One may be better than Galaxy S4, I don't know if it warrants a 95 dollar difference. Take note of that when you choose to return your S4.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had both for a month. I think I'm taking the HTC One in the end. Several things did it for me:

-The One has a better screen, bar none. Much brighter, better colors, much whiter whites, sharper. The S4 does have good blacks though, and I like that it's 5". Still, hold them both side by side and the result is clear.

-The One is noticeably smoother, and the interface is much slicker and more refined (imo). I like some things about Touchwiz (quick settings, customization).

-Internal storage (25.x gigs) is nice, more so than SD storage. Faster, much more reliable, eliminates a common source of errors. Samsung's upcoming Apps to SD implementation is far, far from perfect.
-The One's front-facing speakers make a difference. But in terms of actual speaker loudness, the One wins; but not by as much as you'd think.

-Battery life is about equal on both depending on what you use em for.

-The S4 is sturdy and feels good in the hand. I like that it's thin and light. But I still much prefer the HTC One in terms of materials, construction, feel and looks. It's really no contest for me here either.

-The S4 has the better camera. I like the One's low-light and that it snaps pics much quicker though.

-I will miss the S4's CRAZY fast charge time, customizable notification light with lightflow too.

It's a tough choice. Unfortunately not everybody gets the luxury I had. Thankfully I was able to pick the One (see what i did thar?) that best suited my needs.

dustlane

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the S4 and now I have HTC. I kind of wish I had the S4 back. I liked the Blinkfeed at first but now it's kind of annoying. Too slow at updating need articles . And more importantly, I expected to get the latest JB update fairly quickly but after speaking with someone at HTC today, that doesn't look like it's gonna happen. She said they have no software updates planned for any time in the near future. Plus there is no shortage of cases and accessories for the S4 available. I was lucky to find the one case I got for my HTC One. The One is still a great phone but I feel like Samsung will do a better job of keeping the Galaxy updated. My wife got an S3 for $40 at Walmart and it is running the same version of Android as my brand new One. Not a super huge issue but I would like to have at least the most recent version of android on a brand new flagship phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the S4 and now I have HTC. I kind of wish I had the S4 back. I liked the Blinkfeed at first but now it's kind of annoying. Too slow at updating need articles . And more importantly, I expected to get the latest JB update fairly quickly but after speaking with someone at HTC today, that doesn't look like it's gonna happen. She said they have no software updates planned for any time in the near future. Plus there is no shortage of cases and accessories for the S4 available. I was lucky to find the one case I got for my HTC One. The One is still a great phone but I feel like Samsung will do a better job of keeping the Galaxy updated. My wife got an S3 for $40 at Walmart and it is running the same version of Android as my brand new One. Not a super huge issue but I would like to have at least the most recent version of android on a brand new flagship phone.

Like was stated in the other thread about the update, the update is likely coming soon but reps are not allowed to comment on future events until officially announced. I wouldn't worry too much unless you are using a carrier that is known to delay updates longer than necessary.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I second the sentiment to get some hands on time and add follow your heart. These are both awesome, so neither is "wrong", it's just a matter of which one "fits you".

chrjt74001

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

Correct, you are technically only allowed one swap per AT&T. However I was in this very similar situation and just "calmly" lol! threw a fit in my own little way complaining how disappointed I was with my decision with the s4, and there was absolutely no way I would be content for 2 years...ect. The store manager not wanting me to undue my 2 year sign up quickly at the unfortunate expense of another $35 restocking fee allowed me to have my way... :D

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both.

I said it many times, I complained more about the One but I prefer it over the S4.

+ Build Quality. Unbelievable how amazing it feels, the Curve Back is the reason why it tops Apple's iPhone.
+ Display. S4/AMOLED has this DIM issue.
+ Size, 4.7" is Perfect. I love Samsung's Galaxy Note 2 5.5" but sometimes Portability matters.
+ BoomSound
+ Zoe

These are minor but if I didn't figure out alternatives I would've sold it after a week.

- Since I'm not into Rooting (lazy), I wish it launched with 4.2.2.
- It's not the lack of microSD but I hate that I can't transfer my HD files (over 4GB).
- Album Art. hTc is anal about it, I had to edit my iTunes library to get it to show up. Not an issues on S4.
- Lip Sync issue on Videos. Thank God, MX Player worked but I hate ads. Not an issues on S4.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This phone is very very nice. I am extremely happy with my HTC One upgrading from the GS3. The speakers are amazing, I use them all the time for music, alarm and speaker phone. The phone is smooth, has an amazing display, solid build quality, and is by far my favorite Android phone even over my Nexus 4. I've also experienced great battery life and find the need for a replacement battery or SD card not needed. 32 GB(25.5ish GB useable).

Both are very nice phones but I'm happy I went with HTC this time.

My biggest concern was the ultrapixel camera but it really does do a good job for only having a 4MP camera. My photos look great and videos are awesome as well so don't let that hold you back if your concerned.

Overall, I'm an extremely happy HTC One owner and haven't had a bad thing to say about the phone yet.

Sent from my HTC One

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have and use both. The S4 is my daily driver because of its superior ergonomics and it is far better at notifications than the one. As stated above the S4 has the better LED, it has smart wake to check notifications at a glance, dedicated home button to wake phone and the notification tray can be accessed in landscape mode when playing games etc. maybe this is important to OP or not. Also the Ones screen while bright and sharp seems washed out when comparing the same images to the S4. Not to mention the S4 is easier to see in bright sun because its less reflective.

The One is definitely a bit smoother, has great speaker sound, great and I mean great camera features and interface.

I enjoy them both for different reasons.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Keep the s4. I wouldn't encourage anyone to get the one, until HTC fix the unresponsive home and back buttons.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My wife got an S3 for $40 at Walmart and it is running the same version of Android as my brand new One. Not a super huge issue but I would like to have at least the most recent version of android on a brand new flagship phone.

Yeah, but you're wife's S3 will never have a nicer screen or boom sound, etc. no software upgrade can fix that. Something to keep in perspective.

Not to mention the S4 is easier to see in bright sun because its less reflective.

Really? That certainly has not been the opinion of most tech site reviews (except one) nor what I saw in a video comparison, nor what some other users here have experienced. Interesting. I wonder if there is something wrong with your One and that it's not going as bright as it should?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Keep the s4. I wouldn't encourage anyone to get the one, until HTC fix the unresponsive home and back buttons.

This issue is has been dealt with on all 3 big carriers in the US (not sure about elsewhere)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar