HTC One Screen/Display Review

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just don't think you can assume a company that specializes in color management and provides such services to device manufacturers can be assumed to be independent, especially with no disclosure of who they have financial arrangements with.

There are many levels of lacking independence short of payola. And, who do you think would investigate and prosecute such a practice if it was payola? Are you saying there aren't biased reviews of tech products on the web? In printed magazines?

And you could be right. The reviewer could just hate someone at HTC or whatever. Or he could be friends with someone at Huwaei. Or he could really believe what he wrote.

But to take him serious, I would like to know a little bit more about his feelings on using 1 sample of each device and the provenance of those devices. Did Huwaie provide a sample that had been calibrated specifically for the test? Did they test 10 of each device to determine if the results were consistent?

I don't know. It could be absolutely accurate and true. But I have seen the screen of the HTC One and have seen S4s. I don't know if I will ever see a Huwaie, so I can't really judge.

There are bias reviews all the time(Fanboys do reviews too), but paid for is a different story. For example, Gamespot lost a lot of credibility when they fired the reviewers for the Kane and Lynch game because they had hammered how poorly made the game was done and the Kane and Lynch makers were a heavy advertiser until that time. They never pulled the review though, they just simply fired the guy.

Also the other thing I look at is, displaymate wouldn't be that valuable of a place to pay for a review. Wouldn't a mobile phone site with high traffic be worth much more than displaymate. Until today I had no clue they did display reviews of phones. And quite frankly I wouldn't look there because I rather judge with my own eyes.

One of the reasons why I got the S4 is because I love the over saturated look of darker colors on their display.

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm just not sure why these shoot outs are needed?

I like The One and after looking at both phones i easily chose the lcd tech over amoled. A review of screens would not deter or solidify my choice. The same can be said for S4 owners. Its just a choice of which you prefer and for them its amoled. None of us are gonna read something then see our phones in a different light. There both nice in their own right for their respected market

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
There are bias reviews all the time(Fanboys do reviews too), but paid for is a different story. For example, Gamespot lost a lot of credibility when they fired the reviewers for the Kane and Lynch game because they had hammered how poorly made the game was done and the Kane and Lynch makers were a heavy advertiser until that time. They never pulled the review though, they just simply fired the guy.

Also the other thing I look at is, displaymate wouldn't be that valuable of a place to pay for a review. Wouldn't a mobile phone site with high traffic be worth much more than displaymate. Until today I had no clue they did display reviews of phones. And quite frankly I wouldn't look there because I rather judge with my own eyes.

One of the reasons why I got the S4 is because I love the over saturated look of darker colors on their display.

Also looking at H

And I guess my point was that your original statement ["This probably going to be one of the most objective reviews you will get on a screen."] was not necessarily true, and that color calibration would only be one factor to consider- and perhaps not the determining factor of how good a screen for a phone is - particularly when many of the quantifiable factors that were measured and presented were better on the display that they rated lower. Perhaps brightness, contrast, gamma, battery drain and off angle viewing are more important. Who is going to use a smartphone to proof a picture to make a print that would require such calibration?

I guess if I made money selling calibration systems, then I would to convince people that calibration is the most important factor, but for most people I don't think it is. What percentage of people have calibrated PC and laptop monitors?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
And I guess my point was that your original statement ["This probably going to be one of the most objective reviews you will get on a screen."] was not necessarily true, and that color calibration would only be one factor to consider- and perhaps not the determining factor of how good a screen for a phone is - particularly when many of the quantifiable factors that were measured and presented were better on the display that they rated lower. Perhaps brightness, contrast, gamma, battery drain and off angle viewing are more important. Who is going to use a smartphone to proof a picture to make a print that would require such calibration?

I guess if I made money selling calibration systems, then I would to convince people that calibration is the most important factor, but for most people I don't think it is. What percentage of people have calibrated PC and laptop monitors?

I thought that at first, then I double check the charts and it didn't make sense like you stated.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
its kind of like people who prefer to have their HDTVs on torch mode vs those that prefer them to be calibrated to industry specs for accuracy

It drives me nuts to go to someone's house and see their tv in torch mode. Makes me cringe. I can just see all the loss of detail and inaccurate colors and then I notice they've also got the 120Hz mode on... I mean preference is preference but, do they not realize how awful it looks? It doesn't look better on a phone either.

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site

i do photo editing and watch blurays on my PC so my monitor is calibrated. so is my HDTV. most browsers now support color profiles for images so calibration improves general web surfing as well.

its the only way to know that youre experiencing media the way the creator intended...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34