Automatic time zone and date/clock are wrong

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Suddenly, the phone's clock started showing a time that was offset by two hours for my local time.

I deselected automatic time zone and auto date/time and set them manually. If I return it to automatic, it will show my precise location but the timezone and local time would be offset by two hours (earlier, not later).

Currently, I have auto date/time and selected my time zone automatically. It shows the right date and time but the screen showing my current position still shows the clock two hours behind.

Has anyone experienced this?

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Not on this phone, but over the years on various phones that's always been a problem that comes up from time to time. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes setting auto off then on fixes it and sometimes just the passage of time.

erintiransom

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
My HTC One back at home in Europe had the right time. I'm in the US now, in Mountain Time, the time zone is right (Mountain) but the time is off by one hour (it's 12:38 right now but my phone says 11:38). It seems like it's not taking into account the summer savings change.

I updated to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 while in the US, a few days ago. I would have sworn that before the update the time here in the US was right, both when I flew through eastern time and after I landed in mountain time -it got the right time either from the cell tower -I'm not data roaming- or whenever I connected to a WiFi network.

Actually I just restarted my phone and now it's showing the right time. The weird thing is that I have restarted it several times since the update. Well, whatever, I don't need help anymore, but I guess it's good to have this documented. I just remembered that yesterday my phone's battery died on me, I don't see how that could affect anything but just in case, I'm giving all the info I remember.

Another funny thing is that Google Authenticator worked, being one hour off. Very funny...

Korfy

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the same problem over here. All of a sudden the phone detects that I am in Campinas,Brasil.

Have you found the solution yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly the same problem over here. All of a sudden the phone detects that I am in Campinas,Brasil.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

I have tried several times to select my time zone manually and then checkinh/unchecking to get it automatically but the problem is the same. The time zone and location are detected well but the clock is two hour behind.

I set it manually and didn't bother again. I'm still on 4.1.2. When the 4.2.2 OTA arrives for US unlocked/dev editions I will see if it's corrected or not.

torrentialrain3

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I was having this same problem this evening after doing a fresh install of my favorite ROM. The solution that I found was to turn off Wi-Fi and ensure the phone was connected to a cell tower's data. It seems that when connected to Wi-Fi, the phone tries to use not only the location from that signal, but something to determine time (which to my knowledge, only (a rough estimation of) location can be gathered from a Wi-Fi signal). After turning my phone's Wi-Fi off, I had the phone connect to my network, then toggled the auto settings for date/time and it updated correctly. Hope this helps you all!

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I was having this same problem this evening after doing a fresh install of my favorite ROM. The solution that I found was to turn off Wi-Fi and ensure the phone was connected to a cell tower's data. It seems that when connected to Wi-Fi, the phone tries to use not only the location from that signal, but something to determine time (which to my knowledge, only (a rough estimation of) location can be gathered from a Wi-Fi signal). After turning my phone's Wi-Fi off, I had the phone connect to my network, then toggled the auto settings for date/time and it updated correctly. Hope this helps you all!

I'm going to try it later. Will post if it works for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me as well with an - 8 hours difference. I think it might be carrier related, as this occurred to other phones on my network around the same time I got the glitch.

Posted via Android Central App

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
None of my friends with other phones are experiencing this issue. It might be a bug in Sense or Google services/apps on the One.

mashsatheesh

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having Galaxy S4 zoom, i'm experiencing this time zone problem. its a 4.2.2... if i put bu screen in sleep mode then the time runs very slowly.. if u can help me find a solution, plz do let me know.. i tried doing disabling wifi and auto update thro netwrok, none works,, and all sort of combinations were also tried, no improvment. tried updating the software too.. :(

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm having Galaxy S4 zoom, i'm experiencing this time zone problem. its a 4.2.2... if i put bu screen in sleep mode then the time runs very slowly.. if u can help me find a solution, plz do let me know.. i tried doing disabling wifi and auto update thro netwrok, none works,, and all sort of combinations were also tried, no improvment. tried updating the software too.. :(

Wrong thread bro, try the Samsung forums. This is for the HTC One.

Lynn Cee

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with my Samsung "smartie" -- even using Time Synch app from Google's Playstore. Haven't yet been able to get to the root of this issue, though I see it's a fairly common problem, particularly with Samsungs.
I've outgrown this phone but I probably won't get another Samsung until this persistent issue is resolved. After all, if it weren't such a common problem, there would be no clock synch/fix apps for it; right? ...

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Hubert and cgardnervt, that solved my problem:
1.- Got a Samsung S4; simply go to 'settings' / 'More' / 'date & Time' then flag 'automatic timezone' on. Hope it helps. (I actually disabled both: 'automatic timezone' and 'Automatic date and hour', then I defined the hour and selected time zone. Then immediately I restarted the device)
2.- Reboot device and it should pick it right up off of the towers/network.

After I rebooted my Samsung S4, I checked again: 'settings' / 'More' / 'date & Time', both: 'automatic timezone' and 'Automatic date and hour' was enabled, but the right hour was there.

Thanks guys! I hope everybody resolve this issue.

SnowRunner99

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanx it worked.

It seems the cause of my probblem were deselected options options on the menu you mentioned ( "Settings->More->Date&Time.... ). Like Network provided options or...

Guess it came to this situation when using Samsung S4 on some running/trek course in the rain and while trying to make photo seems many things happened.

Thanx for the reference.

jlesow

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
My Moto G phone defines Eastern time as GMT-4, which is wrong. All the time zones are defined an hour off.

This is in settings, so there's no way to change it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc