HTC One Lag problems

Whoppin

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello androidcentral community.Three days ago i bought brand new HTC One.I have heard that this is the best smartphone on the market and that it doesn't have any lag problems (except some ****ty apps ofcourse). So i installed some apps (mostly games to try how was the performance going). I downloaded games like Temple run 2 , Subway Surfers and Jetpack Joyride. They aren't high end graphics games so i thought that i shouldn't have any lag problems at all. But sadly there were some. I read all over the net that this smartphone is flawless and doesn't have lag on games. So my question is what to do in order to stop this unusual lag problems or something else ? I posted this in General discussions too.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Do you have enough space? Do you have enough RAM (memory) left to use or are there too many applications running in the background? Which ROM are running? I am assuming the stock 4.1.2 that came with the device since you purchased it three days ago. I have had my device for about a month now and I can tell you I have never ever experienced ANY sort of lag except with a custom ROM called Viper ROM which I then uninstalled. I have also tried about five or six different ROMs (both Sense-based and GE) and I've never experienced any sort of lag even with games more intensive in graphics than the ones you mentioned, like Iron Man and Wild Blood, so you're either doing something wrong or something is not right with your device.

Whoppin

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So i checked and i don't have any ROM's on my phone and i when i play i make sure to close all applications with the multitask button. I don't understand smartphones well so i want to ask, do you download these ROM's from somewhere and if yes, can they fix this lag. I just hope it isn't something with my phone because i doubt my carrier will change it with other one.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
An Android ROM is basically the Android operating system you are running on your device at the moment. HTC uses Sense UI, while Samsung uses TouchWiz, but of course not on all of their ROMs since there are Developer and Google Edition devices. I know this is probably difficult, but would you somehow be able to record your gameplay and show us the lag you're talking about? And one more thing, did you check for any new updates using the Software Update option under Settings > About? I am not going to lie to you, I did not keep the stock 4.1.2 ROM long enough to test it out after it settles for days, in fact I installed a custom recovery and a custom ROM the same day I got the device, but about two weeks later I went back to stock in order to try and I found that it is fast and stable, but not as much as 4.2.2 based ROMs.

Have a look here: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

You should start reading about rooting, recoveries and installing custom ROMs - 4.2.2 ones will definitely speed up your device a whole lot, however you'd have to go back to stock if you want to take advantage of the warranty. In my opinion and since you're still stock, I'd pay your carrier a visit and show them the lag if it's truly noticeable, and then show them a video of a lag-free HTC gameplay on YouTube. Here is one: HTC One - Gaming Performance - Review - YouTube and he plays Temple Run as well, among other games of course.

Whoppin

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
An Android ROM is basically the Android operating system you are running on your device at the moment. HTC uses Sense UI, while Samsung uses TouchWiz, but of course not on all of their ROMs since there are Developer and Google Edition devices. I know this is probably difficult, but would you somehow be able to record your gameplay and show us the lag you're talking about? And one more thing, did you check for any new updates using the Software Update option under Settings > About? I am not going to lie to you, I did not keep the stock 4.1.2 ROM long enough to test it out after it settles for days, in fact I installed a custom recovery and a custom ROM the same day I got the device, but about two weeks later I went back to stock in order to try and I found that it is fast and stable, but not as much as 4.2.2 based ROMs.

Have a look here: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

You should start reading about rooting, recoveries and installing custom ROMs - 4.2.2 ones will definitely speed up your device a whole lot, however you'd have to go back to stock if you want to take advantage of the warranty. In my opinion and since you're still stock, I'd pay your carrier a visit and show them the lag if it's truly noticeable, and then show them a video of a lag-free HTC gameplay on YouTube. Here is one: HTC One - Gaming Performance - Review - YouTube and he plays Temple Run as well, among other games of course.

So i checked for updates and my phone is up to date. For the lag it is not "hard lag" but it sometimes just spikes for a tiny second. Can you tell me how to record my gameplay ?

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Do you have enough space? Do you have enough RAM (memory) left to use or are there too many applications running in the background?

I hate to reveal my minuscule level knowledge by asking a question like this but hey I guess this is how you learn, right? Tarek, when you asked the OP if he has enough RAM it made me ask my self what is the optimal amount of memory you should have left for the best performance and what does my phone have for memory. I just checked and I have 584MB / 1.5GB. I am assuming that is pretty good but what level would cause performance to suffer?

Also ever since I purchased my phone I never understood this and maybe you can provide some insight. On the back of the box of the One it lists the specs and for memory its states "Storage: 32GB / RAM 2GB DDR2", however when you check the RAM on the phone itself it says 1.5GB. Can you explain why there is a difference? I did notice on the box there is an asterisk next to memory that states "Available storage is less due to phone software." Is this the reason why the phone only shows 1.5GB of RAM even though it has 2GB? I thought the phone's software only used up some of the 32GB of storage. It also uses 512MB of RAM?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello dillon!

Regarding the RAM, 584 MB / 1.5GB means you're only using 584 MB which is excellent and the performance shouldn't suffer at all under that - that's in addition to the fact that Android really knows how to handle its memory well. Regarding the storage, it is in actuality around 29GB but it is read on the computer as 32GB, and if you're using the stock ROM you'll probably have only about 25GB of free space after formatting the device. As for the RAM, the device in fact does have 2GB however there's always a reserved amount of memory for the system to function properly and smoothly, that's why you don't see the extra 500MB.

By the way, there's absolutely no shame in asking questions and learning - not everyone is born knowledgeable about everything. When I got my first HTC One X I understood absolutely nothing about Android coming from an iPhone and a BlackBerry, it took a long time to learn a lot about Android, but that's never enough, there's always more to learn.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So i checked for updates and my phone is up to date. For the lag it is not "hard lag" but it sometimes just spikes for a tiny second. Can you tell me how to record my gameplay ?

I am sure there are applications like Fraps (which is for PC) for Android to record the screen, but that's probably going to make the lag even worse than it is, so I was suggesting perhaps a video recording of it using another device.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Be mindful that when you get into rooting your phone you void warranty and there is good chance of running into significant complications. I see it all the time on here lol. Shouldn't have to root a phone in order for it to run smoothly.

All I did on mine is go into the Developer Options and turn off animations.

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
All I did on mine is go into the Developer Options and turn off animations.

Well you shouldn't have to do that, either, but I guess we must learn to cope. :)

That is in addition to 4.2.2 ROMs having some much needed features that are missing on 4.1.2 and an overall improvement in performance, battery life, touch feedback and sensitivity of the capacitive buttons.

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Download the app "Advanced Task Killer Free" and run it before you run your game. That will kill a bunch of tasks that are running in the background and free up a bunch of your internal RAM. See if that makes a difference.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Well you shouldn't have to do that, either, but I guess we must learn to cope. :)

That is in addition to 4.2.2 ROMs having some much needed features that are missing on 4.1.2 and an overall improvement in performance, battery life, touch feedback and sensitivity of the capacitive buttons.

I agree LOL but clearly it is easier to turn off something in the options/settings versus rooting the phone.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Download the app "Advanced Task Killer Free" and run it before you run your game. That will kill a bunch of tasks that are running in the background and free up a bunch of your internal RAM. See if that makes a difference.

Killing tasks will only cause more strain on the phone as it will have to use more battery and CPU to put them back into memory. You should try to avoid "killing" apps unless they are problematic and causing issues. Android handles memory very well and if your game needs more it will free it up. To the OP I can't really comment to what might be causing your lag. My initial thoughts would be a rogue app which is best dealt with a factory reset and slowly adding apps back to filter out bad ones. That would be my first check. Do a factory reset and try the game on a clean device. If it still lags that's when you suspect device trouble. I hate to say this but 99% of the problems people complain to me about their phones are caused by apps they themselves installed.

edit: DERP

Last edited:

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello dillon!
Regarding the RAM, 584 MB / 1.5GB means you're only using 584 MB which is excellent and the performance shouldn't suffer at all under that - that's in addition to the fact that Android really knows how to handle its memory well.

Tarek, at what point will performance start to suffer? I know that only using 584MB of 1.5GB of memory is good but at what point are you pushing the envelope? For optimal performance how much RAM should be available? Also what about storage? Right now I am using 7.72GB of 32GB. Does maxing out storage impact performance as well or can you go right to the limit with no negative impacy on performance?

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello androidcentral community.Three days ago i bought brand new HTC One.I have heard that this is the best smartphone on the market and that it doesn't have any lag problems (except some ****ty apps ofcourse). So i installed some apps (mostly games to try how was the performance going). I downloaded games like Temple run 2 , Subway Surfers and Jetpack Joyride. They aren't high end graphics games so i thought that i shouldn't have any lag problems at all. But sadly there were some. I read all over the net that this smartphone is flawless and doesn't have lag on games. So my question is what to do in order to stop this unusual lag problems or something else ? I posted this in General discussions too.

Almost all android phones have some level of lag even if it is barely noticeable. Are you coming from iOS? Typically android lags as the app starts and then performance improves. Is it continuing during the game or only at the beginning?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Tarek, at what point will performance start to suffer? I know that only using 584MB of 1.5GB of memory is good but at what point are you pushing the envelope? For optimal performance how much RAM should be available? Also what about storage? Right now I am using 7.72GB of 32GB. Does maxing out storage impact performance as well or can you go right to the limit with no negative impacy on performance?

I'd be lying if I told you I have a definite answer, but if I am guessing I'd say 300MB of free RAM as well as 2GB of free storage would be suffice, don't forget that there is already 500MB+ of RAM used by the system.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Check to see if ur phone is syncing anything or if the games require a data connection to play, if ur connection is bad the that could be y. Also this phone performs really well during games. Something must be running in the background to cause lag. I wouldn't bother too root ur phone unless it's something u decided u want to do just not to cure lag.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
OP, do you have power saver on? That limits the cpu power. I have it on and play those games that you mention without any lag, but I remember how laggy my galaxy S3 would run simple games if I had the battery saver on. Draw something was unplayable with it on, once I turned it off it would run smoothly. Games might seem simple, but they are resources hogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge