HTC One Black Unlocked shopping

supernomnom

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm desperately seeking any suggestions as to what the best route could be for me to get what I'm looking for.
I have 7 days left before my 30-days grace return period ends with T-Mobile to return the device (yes I currently hold the HTC One from Tmobile, silver, i haven't been able to sleep, i really want the black version).

I really want the black version of the HTC One, unlocked.

Questions i have mainly are:
1) I travel frequently, so my prior research has told me that I need to (better) get a GSM HTC One, meaning my shopping options are limited to AT&T or Sprint for the stealth black color device (or Amazon but amazon's has a ripoff premium)... so ATT is GSM, Sprint is CDMA. Both carriers provide support to unlock the device for international use. However, CDMA (Sprint) will cause me trouble in GSM countries which is the majority of the world. So should i purchase from ATT and have them unlock the device for me? Personally, I'm not an ATT fan, have had terrible life-scarring experiences with their networks (3g, edge, talk).

2) My previous phone was the Droid Incredible 2, from Verizon. I was overseas just this past December and used this device successfully with the foreign country's SIM card (3G GSM network). How was this possible? Isn't the device a CDMA phone since it's from Verizon? I had no knowledge of what gsm/cdma networks were at the time, i simply bought the foreign sim card, popped it in, rebooted the phone and it worked entirely fine. Is this possible with the new HTC ONE too? Meaning it seems like it doesn't matter if the device is Verizon (CDMA) or ATT (GSM) and I can still use it fine abroad in their GSM networks.

Hope i was clear enough, and please please any advice, knowledge to share, suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I was overseas just this past December and used this device successfully with the foreign country's SIM card (3G GSM network). How was this possible?
2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

• 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
3G - UMTS/ HSPA:

• Europe/ Middle East/ Africa: 900/1900/2100 MHz with HSDPA up to 42 Mbps
  • Asia: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSDPA up to 42 Mbps
  • Canada/ Latin America: 850/1900/2100 MHz up to HSDPA 42 Mbps
  • T-Mobile (US): 850/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSDPA up to 42 Mbps
  • AT&T: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSDPA up to 21 Mbps
  • Sprint: 1900/2100 MHz with HSDPA up to 14.4 Mbps
3G - CDMA:

• 800/1900 MHz for Sprint
4G - LTE:

• Europe/ Middle East/ Africa: 800/1800/2600 MHz
  • Asia: 1800/2600 MHz
  • T-Mobile (US)/ AT&T/ Canada/ Latin America: 700 MHz and AWS band
  • Sprint: 1900 MHz

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
1) I think the answer is clear here. AT&T, although not without its faults, is after all a reputable company and you should buy the black HTC One from there and have them unlock it later on before you travel. And also so you can sleep fine, lol.

2) I have zero experience with CDMA since I live in Egypt and wherever I traveled I used GSM as well so I am sorry but I do not know the answer to that. All I know is (in the case of the HTC One) if it uses GSM, it will not work on CDMA and vice-versa. I'd call Verizon up and ask them.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Agree with going AT&T. You will have the most service in the most countries.

I would check out Ebay. I picked up a 32g Stealth Black for $495 new in box. That is an absolute steal. They usually sell over for $550.00.