I simply can not get good battery life with this phone!

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been a 32GB unlocked HTC One owner since day one. Battery life for me has been very mediocre, barely enough to make it through a work day with light to moderate usage. For some reason this phone drains so much on standby it's ridiculous. Last week I finally gave in and decided to root. I've found that standby still sucks but the screen uses less power so I can get more screen on time on average. I'm running InsertCoin with ElementalX kernel and for every hour of standby I lose ~3+ percent of battery! I'm not even using the phone! I have EVERY APP on my phone Greenified, Google Search, Gmail, and Play Music uninstalled, I have the phone undervolted and monitor everything with Wakelock Detector and GSAM. Nothing looks weird to me but for some reason my standby still sucks. I've literally crippled my phone and have all location services turned off and I still can't get good standby time. My iPhone 5 could last forever on standby, literally 3-5 hours without losing a single percent. I've been using Android for years and the only phone that got GOOD battery life was the Note 2. At this point I'm considering going back to it because I'm sick of micromanaging my phone and still not getting good results.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Patrick Williams13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same. Came from an iPhone 5 and I think it's huge screen and quality and brightness that is causing this. On standby my phone could lose 15 percent overnight however I've not done any of the things you've tried to eliminate it. I bought the htc official car dock and I work as a van driver so I am never low on juice. However on my days off I really do notice the battery dipping and I have at times maxed the battery out by 4pm.o consider myself a heavy user steaming YouTube and tunein radio over 3g so I guess that's a lot of the problem. Try keep a few chargers around the place and get into the routine of plugging in the phone during the day.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been a 32GB unlocked HTC One owner since day one. Battery life for me has been very mediocre, barely enough to make it through a work day with light to moderate usage. For some reason this phone drains so much on standby it's ridiculous. Last week I finally gave in and decided to root. I've found that standby still sucks but the screen uses less power so I can get more screen on time on average. I'm running InsertCoin with ElementalX kernel and for every hour of standby I lose ~3+ percent of battery! I'm not even using the phone! I have EVERY APP on my phone Greenified, Google Search, Gmail, and Play Music uninstalled, I have the phone undervolted and monitor everything with Wakelock Detector and GSAM. Nothing looks weird to me but for some reason my standby still sucks. I've literally crippled my phone and have all location services turned off and I still can't get good standby time. My iPhone 5 could last forever on standby, literally 3-5 hours without losing a single percent. I've been using Android for years and the only phone that got GOOD battery life was the Note 2. At this point I'm considering going back to it because I'm sick of micromanaging my phone and still not getting good results.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

It's possible that you're doing TOO MUCH to try and get good battery life. Depending on what you've disabled (that's all Greenify does), Android could be fighting to keep things alive that an app is killing, which would keep the CPU working when it doesn't need to.

Everyone's definition of "light/moderate" usage is different. Can you be more specific about what your usage involves? How much screen on time are you getting currently?

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's possible that you're doing TOO MUCH to try and get good battery life. Depending on what you've disabled (that's all Greenify does), Android could be fighting to keep things alive that an app is killing, which would keep the CPU working when it doesn't need to.

Everyone's definition of "light/moderate" usage is different. Can you be more specific about what your usage involves? How much screen on time are you getting currently?

I get between 3-4 hours of screen on time but I purposely keep the screen really dim. People may say that's good but believe it or not the phone drains more on standby than with the screen actually on.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I get between 3-4 hours of screen on time but I purposely keep the screen really dim. People may say that's good but believe it or not the phone drains more on standby than with the screen actually on.

How is your signal? Tons of syncs?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How is your signal? Tons of syncs?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Signal is usually strong. I only have one email account syncing in the HTC Mail app and it's set to smart sync. Besides that nothing else is syncing. Facebook, Twitter, News, etc. all set to never sync.

outlawz89

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the op, I love this phone but the one thing thats a killer for me is the battery life. This is the first android phone for me and I think I'll stick with android in the future cause I like the options if gives to customize the phone. I'm gunna buy the note3 when it comes out cause if its anything like the note2 then battery will be very good and I'll give touchwiz a chance.

Oh another pet peeve of mine is the reception I get with this phone. I dont know if its my carrier or my phone causing the problem but Rogers is usually a good network in my country. Anyone else have reception issues?

Wullie32

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
He does have it on. He said it in his post.

I don't see anything about Power Saver in there after reading it several times.

Losing a lot of power while on standby if Power Saver is on sounds like a defective unit to me. I have issues with the phone using lots of battery whilst in use but with data going off automatically, I barely use anything in standby.

BigHonu

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I too find standby battery life a little on the short side when compared to my iPhone experience. However, life while using the phone is about the same.

Try NOT using those power saving apps for 3 or four days and see how things go. I'm generally not seeing battery life improvements with these apps, though I am trying out Battery Guru at the moment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't see anything about Power Saver in there after reading it several times.

Losing a lot of power while on standby if Power Saver is on sounds like a defective unit to me. I have issues with the phone using lots of battery whilst in use but with data going off automatically, I barely use anything in standby.

I have power saver turned on but only the data connection option. My kernel dims the screen by default and I can underclock if need be, but I haven't seen much improvement by underclocking.

I recall a lot of people saying the Play Store v. 4.1.6 had issues with battery drainage. My One is running 4.1.6 for some reason. How do I update it? How could it be causing drainage when I hardly open the Play Store?

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Kevin O'Quinn...Let the phone manage what is on and off instead of trying to use an aftermarket app manager...which is using power to shut things off. I personally get much better battery life out of the One than I did out of my S3, and I sync everything at the shortest intervals I can find, and use it quite a bit.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Kevin O'Quinn...Let the phone manage what is on and off instead of trying to use an aftermarket app manager...which is using power to shut things off. I personally get much better battery life out of the One than I did out of my S3, and I sync everything at the shortest intervals I can find, and use it quite a bit.

What's your screen on time like? Before I decided to root I did exactly what you did. I never managed anything and used the phone as is, I got mediocre battery life at best. Things like Spotify would kill my battery while my iPhone would charge through like an animal. People on XDA have some crazy stats so I figured I'd try rooting. I've been against it for a while because I believed I shouldnt have to, but I like this phone too much and want to get the most out of it.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have the one and I've had a lot of phones and the one has the best battery life out of any phone I've owned. It might be an app causing the battery drain or a feature that is on and could be turned off when not in use like Bluetooth or GPS. If eliminating apps or radios doesn't work get it swapped out.

My wife uses her phone very little a few half hour calls and texting and she can get two to three days out of a charge.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
What's your screen on time like? Before I decided to root I did exactly what you did. I never managed anything and used the phone as is, I got mediocre battery life at best. Things like Spotify would kill my battery while my iPhone would charge through like an animal. People on XDA have some crazy stats so I figured I'd try rooting. I've been against it for a while because I believed I shouldnt have to, but I like this phone too much and want to get the most out of it.

I average 4-5 hours of screen time. I work 10hr shifts, so my phone usually goes 14-15hrs before having to plug it in...That's reading some email, sending some texts, listening to music to and from work via bluetooth, checking the weather, a few phone calls, calendar reminders, using the TV Remote to make people scratch their heads, and other mundane stuff. I play no games... I keep bluetooth on, and use 3G whenever possible as wifi and bluetooth on together causes Ford's Microsoft Sync steering wheel controls not to work...This phone works well for me.

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
As others have said, I get good battery life from my One. I leave power saver on all of the time and am not doing anything else. I agree with others that many of these third party power saving apps are just voodoo, creating more problems than they are solving. HTC has done a very good job with power management on this phone. Let the built in software do what it is designed to do.

OP: you may have a defective battery. Take it in to your phone shop and have them test it for you.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I never understood this stat. Why is overnight battery loss something people use as a benchmark? Plug your phone in overnight.

But it also applies to daytime. If I leave my phone in my pocket or in my room, even with power saver on and everything else turned off, I still get quite high battery loss.

Sent from my HTC One :)

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
But it also applies to daytime. If I leave my phone in my pocket or in my room, even with power saver on and everything else turned off, I still get quite high battery loss.

Sent from my HTC One :)

It may be a bad unit mat was the to get another one.