Fingers stick to screen, hard to swipe, texting not feasible

temet vince

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I just received my htc one developer edition in the mail. Unfortunately, the phone is not pleasant to use if I have to move my thumb or finger on the screen at all. The screen grabs my skin and doesn't let it move with my finger. I'm barely pressing on the screen, I've tried washing my hands, rubbing them on my shirt, cleaning the screen with a microfiber cloth, everything. My fingers are not sweaty or wet at all. The only thing that works is if I turn my finger around backwards and use my fingernail. I can immediately pick up my google nexus 7 and there is no issue with finger sticking.

While the feeling is quite unpleasant, the real problem is when I try to use swype texting. My finger just sticks and won't allow me to easily glide around to the different keys. The only functional way for me to use this phone is with finger presses, not movements.

Do I just have a really unfortunate body chemistry, or is this a known issue for some people?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it possible that there is any shipping materials still on the device, or a built in screen protector?

temet vince

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no. The phone came in a plastic sleeve in the box, and I removed that. If there is a screen protector on the phone, it is very flush with edge of the screen so that I can't see it.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hm. That is very odd. I don't have the HTC one, but I would assume that it's screen is not much different than the screen on my DNA, has they are both gorilla glass 2. My fingers glide right across it. Not a pleasant solution, but have you considered a warranty replacement? Something could have gone wrong in the finishing process. I would contact Google and see if a RMA is available.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

temet vince

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Well I've been playing with my nexus some more and my fingers are now sticking on it also. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm going to use the phone for a few days and see if it improves. I do appreciate your advice. I don't swipe much on my nexus as everything is usually just finger presses. I'm wondering if I just have a weird body chemistry. I'll have my neighbor play with my phone tomorrow and see if he has the same issue.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
This is normal at first.

The reason is kind of gross actually. The glass on these devices (I've owned a bunch) and even the plastic on most screen protectors, don't move very easily at first because they do not have a layer of oil from your hands to reduce the friction.

It is especially evident on a brand new device. The glass from the factory uses an oleophobic coating (hydrophilic would be the same thing, but they don't want to make people think about water).

So if you clean the glass with alcohol, and your hands are very dry, you'll notice your thumbs glide better. Or if you use it a bit and the oil that naturally coats your skin gets on the surface, it'll feel more normal.

I promise, after an hour or so of use, it'll feel normal.

Posted via Android Central App

Seggzy

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just received my htc one developer edition in the mail. Unfortunately, the phone is not pleasant to use if I have to move my thumb or finger on the screen at all. The screen grabs my skin and doesn't let it move with my finger. I'm barely pressing on the screen, I've tried washing my hands, rubbing them on my shirt, cleaning the screen with a microfiber cloth, everything. My fingers are not sweaty or wet at all. The only thing that works is if I turn my finger around backwards and use my fingernail. I can immediately pick up my google nexus 7 and there is no issue with finger sticking.

While the feeling is quite unpleasant, the real problem is when I try to use swype texting. My finger just sticks and won't allow me to easily glide around to the different keys. The only functional way for me to use this phone is with finger presses, not movements.

Do I just have a really unfortunate body chemistry, or is this a known issue for some people?

Were you bit by a radioactive spider recently?.... If so, this is normal. It's just razor sharp hair follicles growing in. Once your new muscles come in you should be able to even climb walls!

Posted via Android Central App

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The comment about the oils from your skin seem very probable. I've got the HTC one but u put a screen protector on the minute it came out of the box. Now I do notice when I clean my screen protector of all the skin oils it can be as your described.

Go try the display HTC one at your local phone store.

Sent from my HTC One

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my One, I had this problem too. The Japanese phones (like my Fujitsu phone) are all marketed as having "saku saku" screen surfaces, or roughly translated as easy-to-glide screen. One wasn't like that, and took a couple days for my fingers to get used to it. Now I have a screen protector too, which is also saku saku so all is fine ;)

k2green

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Your fingers might be the problem....if you sweat or have oily wet hands you can't move on screen. solution...wash and dry your hands. I guess too, there is the possibility there is a strange finish issue with your phone...maybe a defect.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue on day one, then it went away, I just put a new screen protector on it and the issue lasted a day. I say give it a week and it should be fine.

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a problem with the finishing on the screen to me, I'd just get the phone exchanged. Mine was really smooth and fingers just glides across it straight out the box. Using a screen protector now but still nowhere near as smooth as the actual naked screen.

temet vince

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Good news everyone: it's fixed! It seems the screen just needed to be used for a bit. It was pulling all the oil off my fingers which is probably why my nexus 7 also became difficult to use as the night progressed. Thank you all for your advice and help.