Will the HTC One get 4.3?

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Was just curious if the HTC One will be getting 4.3? Is Jan. 2014 a reasonable release date on att?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You cannot count on any updates coming from a carrier. The carrier mentality is basically "you get what we give you" and I can't stand that. It's your phone, you give your hard earned money to your carrier each month not to mention the purchase of the phone. Root your phone and install a custom rom. It has become such an easy process. There was a time when running a custom rom was risky due to not knowing if some aspects of the phone would work properly but at this point almost any custom rom beats what the carrier gives you. If you aren't willing to root or flash a custom rom then who knows when the updates will come.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
You cannot count on any updates coming from a carrier. The carrier mentality is basically "you get what we give you" and I can't stand that. It's your phone, you give your hard earned money to your carrier each month not to mention the purchase of the phone. Root your phone and install a custom rom. It has become such an easy process. There was a time when running a custom rom was risky due to not knowing if some aspects of the phone would work properly but at this point almost any custom rom beats what the carrier gives you. If you aren't willing to root or flash a custom rom then who knows when the updates will come.

My only beef with that is that even the most popular ROMs aren't as stable as official releases, claims to the contrary by ROM enthusiasts notwithstanding.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Rooting can be fun. But the fun wore out on the OG Evo for me. I found ROMS to be a pain in the A$$ to find one that works like it's supposed to. Little annoyances tick me off!

YES, rooting voids the warranty.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
YES, rooting voids the warranty.

1) As long as you restore completely back to stock and fix the tampered icon in your boot loader back to stock your fine. I don't have the one but have the og evo. If HTC kept the procedure the same, it is extremely easy to fix.

2) Your warranty is not voided unless you take it into be serviced and it is rooted. There is no way any manufacturer/carrier can tell your phone is rooted wirelessly. That would be a major privacy breach and lead to a scandal almost as bad as the NSA.

The last carrier spyware I remember is carrier IQ. And that was completely eliminated as of late 2011.

Also your hardware does not track root or normal status. It is all software driven, and software recorded. Which means it can be restored back to stock.

So in conclusion, yes rooting does void your warranty, however it is not voided unless you either A) tell them it is/was rooted, or B) they find out it was rooted because you didn't restore back to complete stock, prior to servicing.

I should also note that manufacturers have ways of pulling device status from the phone, even when it was bricked. They do so through a process similar to using a JTAG device. The only thing that can prevent them from doing so is by a motherboard failure, any kind of other failure and they can still detect it.

Sent from my paranoid s3...

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have seen several people have successfully warranty claims with unlocked bootloaders and rooted phones. Even HTC phones.

It states on htcdev.com this

"It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. "

So yes If you brick your phone as a result of unlocking the bootloader they won't cover it. But they generally will cover non related issues.

And someone said custom ROMs are not stable. Not true. I know of several custom ROM/kernel configurations that work flawlessly. I ran android revolution for almost two months before switching to the Monaco switch beta. I also used custom kernels. Not one issue.

I've also used cyanogenmod for about a year on my tablets. No issues.

HTC One - MoDaCo.switch /ARHD 12.1 & GE 2.0 + Bulletproof
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have seen several people have successfully warranty claims with unlocked bootloaders and rooted phones. Even HTC phones.

It states on htcdev.com this

"It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. "

So yes If you brick your phone as a result of unlocking the bootloader they won't cover it. But they generally will cover non related issues.

And someone said custom ROMs are not stable. Not true. I know of several custom ROM/kernel configurations that work flawlessly. I ran android revolution for almost two months before switching to the Monaco switch beta. I also used custom kernels. Not one issue.

I've also used cyanogenmod for about a year on my tablets. No issues.

HTC One - MoDaCo.switch /ARHD 12.1 & GE 2.0 + Bulletproof
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Really. Even multi billion dollar companies with all the resources at their disposal can't make a "flawless" configuration but your ROMs miraculously were? No. No they aren't. My original statement still stands - official releases are more reliable.
ROMs were a solution in 2.3 and previous. Android has evolved to the point where installing ROMs should be a hobby not a solution.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Really. Even multi billion dollar companies with all the resources at their disposal can't make a "flawless" configuration but your ROMs miraculously were? No. No they aren't. My original statement still stands - official releases are more reliable.
ROMs were a solution in 2.3 and previous. Android has evolved to the point where installing ROMs should be a hobby not a solution.

Yes you state... Your opinion is that official is more stable... But that's your opinion. You can't tell him his is wrong. If it is fact they are more stable bust out sources and stats... Otherwise it's your opinion.

There are bad ROMs but also some very stable ones that devs work hard on. No ROM is perfect... Either custom or manufacturer. Hence why my T-Mobile HTC One just got a 247 MB patch to fix processor related things, signal strength, and other bug fixes. Again no software is perfect but others can run just as good... It isn't impossible. How do you think these kids who write code get picked up by the companies with all the cash? Uh.. Because they know what they are doing. Look at iPhone jailbreaking.. There has been known times where jailbreakers find the loop holes in the software and fix them with patches in the jailbroken app store... BEFORE Apple even finds it... But wait they have money right? No way the devs Apple has could have missed these flaws!... :rolleyes:.

/rant off.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol I love those "prove it" posts. Some people think forums are a courtroom trial. Should I hire an attorney and subpoena non existent studies too?

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Lol I love those "prove it" posts. Some people think forums are a courtroom trial. Should I hire an attorney and subpoena non existent studies too?

So I'm guessing you have no way to prove you're right cause you don't actually know anything about ROM's. ;)

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood