Does your battery drain fast on Wifi?

HTCONE88

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Does your battery drain very fast when doing a bit of surfing (checking status updates on FB, or email) on WiFi? Is there a way to capture a screen shot without downloading an app? I want to show you my usage History to see if it looks within normal limits. I just bought the HTC ONE but I can ask for another one if this one has a problem. I'm in the middle of e-mails to get a new one, but I just want to know if this nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No. When I have wifi on wifi calling is also on so my battery drops slowly.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My phone lasts longer on Wi-Fi. To take a screen shot hold power and volume down.

I average 4-4.5 hours of screen on time. I use an app called GSam battery to monitor my screen on time.

Sent from my M7 using AC Forums mobile app

HTCONE88

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Notice the near 20% drop in battery percentage on WiFi from about ~5:30pm to 7:38pm after a bit of surfing. Is that to be expected? If so, I'll keep it, if not, I'll exchange it for a new one. Thanks again.

Last edited:

HTCONE88

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Checked email, surfed FB feed and watched a video, listened to a few songs to test the speakers, checked an online forum. That's it really.

I asked another forum and one guy said he gets 3-4 days on a charge after rooting and that the huge drop looks excessive. That said, I will ask my provider for a new one as it seems to be out of the norm.

Note; I turned off blinkfeed, keep my brightness at lowest setting during the day, keep wifi off when not in use, keep mobile data off when not in use, have power saver on.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this issue as well. I just noticed this a few days ago.

With wifi off I would be at 50% after 9-10 hours, when I turn wifi on it would suck the battery in less than 2-3 hours.

No heavy use while wifi on.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Checked email, surfed FB feed and watched a video, listened to a few songs to test the speakers, checked an online forum. That's it really.

I asked another forum and one guy said he gets 3-4 days on a charge after rooting and that the huge drop looks excessive. That said, I will ask my provider for a new one as it seems to be out of the norm.

Note; I turned off blinkfeed, keep my brightness at lowest setting during the day, keep wifi off when not in use, keep mobile data off when not in use, have power saver on.

Download GSam battery monitor and use your phone for a day. Check the screen on time when your phone is about to die and see what your screen on time was.

HTCONE88

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Download GSam battery monitor and use your phone for a day. Check the screen on time when your phone is about to die and see what your screen on time was.

According to GSam

App Usage was the highest, with Kernel (Android OS) draining the most juice.

My new HTC ONE came in today. I've been using my existing HTC ONE for a bit and it isn't that bad on battery and using data on 4G, but it does drain quite quick while using WiFi. I feel like I can live with this as I can always charge my phone while using WiFi as I only use WiFi at home. Regardless, I will find a way to test the battery of my existing HTC ONE and the new one that came in the mail today. Any suggestions as to how to test these phones? Should I transfer over Nova Launcher and run a video on loop for both phones and see which battery drains faster?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
According to GSam

My new HTC ONE came in today. I've been using my existing HTC ONE for a bit and it isn't that bad on battery and using data on 4G, but it does drain quite quick while using WiFi. I feel like I can live with this as I can always charge my phone while using WiFi as I only use WiFi at home. Regardless, I will find a way to test the battery of my existing HTC ONE and the new one that came in the mail today. Any suggestions as to how to test these phones? Should I transfer over Nova Launcher and run a video on loop for both phones and see which battery drains faster?

This could be an issue with your particular router at your house. Is there another WiFi connection you can use to test this?

I noticed that my One tended to drain faster on WiFi than 4G or even 3G at home. The phone would die overnight while I slept if I forgot to plug it in when previously it would only lose a few percent of the battery overnight. One day I noticed that it was almost constantly dropping then re-connecting (it would literally drop and connect 10-15 times per minute) to WiFi and this was causing the battery drain. I found a firmware upgrade for my router and now the connection is stable. Now WiFi has no noticeable drain on the battery, and yes I have it set so that the connection never sleeps.

Check if there is possibly a firmware upgrade for your router or maybe another you can test with for a few days. It seems a lot of phones (Apple and Android) are having issues with WiFi connections these days.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
According to GSam

As Darth Mo said, it could be your router. Do you have a strong Wi-Fi signal (4-5 bars)? If not it could lead to more power usage to keep the signal strong/steady.

The first few days Android OS will show the most usage, at least in my experience. The same happens after flashing or installing updates. After 3-4 days of regular charge cycles it should be back to normal. If your old One is still showing Kernel as the main user of battery, try making a factory reset.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think you're chasing a red herring here. Your battery drops quickly when you use the phone. You just happen to use it the most on WiFi. In the pictures you posted there are several places where you're using the phone, you aren't on WiFi and your battery is going down just as quickly.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Battery life should improve if you use WiFi over Mobile data, especially LTE data. Also, go into the WiFi settings and press menu. You'll get an advanced option where you can select an option to keep WiFi on. This prevents WiFi from sleeping when the device is turned off and causing it to wake then search for a signal, which drains battery as the device polls for a connection.

Jabz Victor

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I believe you are completely wrong. First of all, how can something improve battery life when it is taking the charge of the battery, All components of a device TAKES battery charge, nothing gives back. WiFi is not an exemption, as a matter of fact it takes a huge amount of power when used because it utilizes microwave technology. To emit (send) microwave data to a WiFi device, of course, it has to take something to produce that. Where could it get that energy? From your batteries of course.

In response to the main question, yes it will drain your battery faster than when your WiFi isn't used or off.