Some Privacy and Control Questions

hammettorchandler

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Android Central. I'm a new forum user and a new Android user, and I've posted some questions below. In the past, I've rooted multiple iPhones and plan to do the same to the HTC One...but first, I'd like to play around in its default build with some privacy and control.

1. How do I log out of Google Services on the HTC One? This might be rephrased to "How do I switch user accounts?" I'm not a Google user, and I only now reluctantly have an account with them for the default store.

2. How do I load podcasts/music onto the device without downloading a secondary application or using HTC Sync? I've seen plenty of threads plugging iSyncr and Double Twist, but is there a way to make my Macbook (which I use for media; PC is general purpose) recognize the HTC One as a mass storage device?

3. Is there a way, without rooting, to permanently uninstall/delete the bloatware that came with my HTC One (T-Mobile)?

4. How do I restrict permissions of applications without paying $5 in the store?

Thanks!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Android Central. I'm a new forum user and a new Android user, and I've posted some questions below. In the past, I've rooted multiple iPhones and plan to do the same to the HTC One...but first, I'd like to play around in its default build with some privacy and control.

1. How do I log out of Google Services on the HTC One? This might be rephrased to "How do I switch user accounts?" I'm not a Google user, and I only now reluctantly have an account with them for the default store.

2. How do I load podcasts/music onto the device without downloading a secondary application or using HTC Sync? I've seen plenty of threads plugging iSyncr and Double Twist, but is there a way to make my Macbook (which I use for media; PC is general purpose) recognize the HTC One as a mass storage device?

3. Is there a way, without rooting, to permanently uninstall/delete the bloatware that came with my HTC One (T-Mobile)?

4. How do I restrict permissions of applications without paying $5 in the store?

Thanks!

Hey, and welcome to the forum! I'll try to answer your questions.

1. In general, most users do not log out of the Google account. If you really want to, you can go to settings/accounts and sync to remove it. Not having a Google account means no back up of contacts out access to the Play Store.

2. I do not have much Mac experience, so I can only suggest to wait for a person with proper experience.

3. No, you will require root access to remove the carrier branded software.

4. Choose your apps wisely. Don't install anything with permissions you are uncomfortable with or from a developer who is untrustworthy.

Feel free to ask anything else you wish.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, lots of great information here to learn and share.

Presently I own three devices, Htc One - Galaxy S4 - iPhone 5. Yes I know I have a problem with commitment issues :) Seriously though they are all great devices. The Htc One is my daily driver. After owning iPhones from day one I got bored with it and began trying alternatives. I got the Htc One upon release and traded it after a few days for a Galaxy S4. After a short time I bought another Htc One and use it daily now.

Anyway on the your questions;

1. Your Google account is your passport to all the Google services much like your Apple ID is your sign on to all things Apple. Without it you loose the ability to access everything Google offers, including the Google Play store for which you need to get apps and app updates. In my opinion, removing your Google account would only serve to limit and restrict your device's capabilities. Of course that is your choice to make and matter of preference for how you choose to use your device.

2. Using a Mac to transfer files is quite easy. On my Mac I use Android File Transfer, an app that be found here on Android Central and it works very well. It opens and displays much like a Finder window allowing for drag and drop file transfers. Once you install the application and connect your Htc One to the Mac, the application will launch and your ready to go.
Here is the link Android 101: The Android File Transfer app for Mac | Android Central

3. Carrier bloat ware is my only gripe with current day Android, which is why I got the developer edition straight from Htc. My daughter has a carrier version from AT&T and one day one I disabled all the AT&T apps. Rooting seems to be the only way to completely remove these offending apps but alternatively you can disable them thus putting them in a neutral state. They still occupy storage space but that's all and that seems to be only a minor impact. To disable them open your device's settings, scroll down to apps and select it, swipe over to the "all" tab, select the offending app, then choose disable on the resulting screen. Done

4. Not much you can do here except choose wisely when you install apps. Read the apps permissions before you install it, if it is not to your liking then don't install it. I have read that Jelly Bean 4.3 will offer permissions control to users. We will have to wait and see and then wait to get updated to that version when it's pushed out. Till then just choose your apps wisely.

Hope this offers you some help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney