4.7 vs 5in screen differences

daveh98

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a dumb question but I see many people say the 4.7in screen is .3in smaller than say a S4. Isn't it .5 inches? Wouldn't .3 make it a 4.10 inch screen out of 4.12 or 5'? Or is it calculated by being .7 of an inch so therefore only .3 difference? I compare my HTC One to my Vita which has a 5inch screen and it's quite a difference; hence my question.

Secondly, I am hearing rumors of a refresh of the HTC One on the horizon with potentially a 5inch screen and a snapdragon 800 processor coming out 4th quarter 2013 or in 2014. Thoughts?

Personally, I think they need to focus on getting the latest version of Android optimized for Sense 5 on ALL carriers of HTC One and build "ONE" Brand instead of making the same mistakes over and over again. This phone is selling really well; let's not flood the market with upgrades and new phones which then lead to ZERO interest and less reason to look forward to a proper new model at a proper time to release the new model. Just my .02 (which is 2 cents and not 2/100ths of 1%....going back to my original question on screen size clarification:)

Rumor: HTC M8 coming in 2014, HTC One refresh later this year, and plastic One to replace Butterfly

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
There is no .10. 4.7 inches to 5.0 inches is only .3 inches difference. If you add .3 to 4.7 you would get 5.0 inches.

The ONE refresh would be sweet!!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
To exaggerate on what gator said:

Numbers the the right of the decimal point are done in tenths. The first number is a tenth. So .1 is 1 tenths. Lets look at it from a dollar stand point, instead of an inch standpoint. .01 is one cent. It takes one hundred cents to make one dollar, or, 1.00. So if there is .7 inches it would only take .3 inches to make 10 tenths, or, one whole.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

daveh98

May 4, 2013
Visit site
There is no .10. 4.7 inches to 5.0 inches is only .3 inches difference. If you add .3 to 4.7 you would get 5.0 inches.

The ONE refresh would be sweet!!

Thanks for the clarification. I am surprised at the size difference of the .3. Personally I would like a 5in screen as I like watching Xfinity or netflix on my phone. The refresh would kinda bum me out because I would want it and wouldn't be eligible! I am all about great design AND great power and the snapdragon 800 is a BEAST and I believe even a nice step up from the Tegra 4 which is powering Nvidia's The Shield Game console.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. I am surprised at the size difference of the .3. Personally I would like a 5in screen as I like watching Xfinity or netflix on my phone. The refresh would kinda bum me out because I would want it and wouldn't be eligible! I am all about great design AND great power and the snapdragon 800 is a BEAST and I believe even a nice step up from the Tegra 4 which is powering Nvidia's The Shield Game console.

I agree about the refresh being a bummer. It would leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths

daveh98

May 4, 2013
Visit site
To exaggerate on what gator said:

Numbers the the right of the decimal point are done in tenths. The first number is a tenth. So .1 is 1 tenths. Lets look at it from a dollar stand point, instead of an inch standpoint. .01 is one cent. It takes one hundred cents to make one dollar, or, 1.00. So if there is .7 inches it would only take .3 inches to make 10 tenths, or, one whole.

LOL. Way to rub it in;) So I think it's fair to say that there ARE such thing as dumb questions:)

At least my rumor thread can get some good responses. Snapdragon 800 is definitely the SoC I would have rather had in the HTC One that I have. It puts the benchmarks in the Tegra 4 to shame. Then again, I would also just like to get my One updated to the latest version of Android....or even "close to" the latest version lol.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Naw. I wouldn't be able to get it either...unless I paid full price and that ain't happenin' as my eligibility is far....FAR...away! But still, it would be a sweet phone to gawk at. But think, By the time for our upgrade, there will be a much better phone on the market.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
LOL. Way to rub it in;) So I think it's fair to say that there ARE such thing as dumb questions:)

At least my rumor thread can get some good responses. Snapdragon 800 is definitely the SoC I would have rather had in the HTC One that I have. It puts the benchmarks in the Tegra 4 to shame. Then again, I would also just like to get my One updated to the latest version of Android....or even "close to" the latest version lol.

Be patient. Our phones will be upgraded to at least 4.2.2. Hopefully 4.3 though. I'm not sweatin' the SD 800 as my ONE rocks just like it is!

Last edited:

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Be patient. Our phones will be upgraded to at least 4.1.2. Hopefully 4.3 though. I'm not sweatin' the SD 800 as my ONE rocks just like it is!

My phone works great on 4.1.2 and Sense 5, absolutely no shuddering whatsoever.

Posted via Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I still believe there is no such thing as dumb questions, lol. I had to explain it to myself like that to make sure I was right! Darn inconsistent measure. 12s, 10s, 100s. Freaking sucks :p

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think what doesn't help is inches aren't usually divided by 10s. They are always the screwed up fractions where unless you like math, you have to sit and think about it for a few minutes

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think what doesn't help is inches aren't usually divided by 10s. They are always the screwed up fractions where unless you like math, you have to sit and think about it for a few minutes

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

1/8th, 3/16th, 1/4, 5/16th's ....UGH!!!! I think fractions have made the human race even dumber....lol.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I still believe there is no such thing as dumb questions, lol. I had to explain it to myself like that to make sure I was right! Darn inconsistent measure. 12s, 10s, 100s. Freaking sucks :p

I agree that there are no dumb questions. But you have to admit that at times there are some seriously dumb answers!! :)

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
On topic: I'm plenty happy with my J One (mind you, I got sdcard and multi colored LED on it...) So a refreshed model would be desirable but I wouldn't be in a rush to get it. Unless it was waterproof, I miss the waterproofness of my previous Fujitsu and Sharp phones...

On fractions:

Well technically, fractions made humans starters back when they didn't have calculators and other gimmicks to calculate and count parts of things. The whole imperial system is, I think, based on the assumption that halves, quarters, thirds and so on are easier to handle mentally and quickly.

In the modern age though, it's much faster to apply decimals to everything and let machines handle the complex math while we try to round things up or down for quick approximations, mentally. Now if only the USA and the UK could catch up to the SI standards for measurements... lol

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
On topic: I'm plenty happy with my J One (mind you, I got sdcard and multi colored LED on it...) So a refreshed model would be desirable but I wouldn't be in a rush to get it. Unless it was waterproof, I miss the waterproofness of my previous Fujitsu and Sharp phones...

On fractions:

Well technically, fractions made humans starters back when they didn't have calculators and other gimmicks to calculate and count parts of things. The whole imperial system is, I think, based on the assumption that halves, quarters, thirds and so on are easier to handle mentally and quickly.

In the modern age though, it's much faster to apply decimals to everything and let machines handle the complex math while we try to round things up or down for quick approximations, mentally. Now if only the USA and the UK could catch up to the SI standards for measurements... lol

Liters/gallons, miles/Kilometers, a$$/arse....

Heck, I just bought off Amazon a new chemical metering pump for our water system. The old pump is 100psi / 30 GPD. The new is 101psi / 5 LPH. I had to convert Gallons per day to liters per hour to order the correct pump. Thank god for Google!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=gal...e7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

30 Gallons = 113.5 liters / per day. At 5 Liters an hour, that = 120 liters per day. It's close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's also .3 diagonally. Assuming they share the same 16:9 aspect ratio (bad assumption lately, but most Android devices fit this), a 5" screen is 4.36" long and 2.45" wide (both heavily rounded) and a 4.7" device is 4.10" long by 2.3" wide (again, rounding) so a 4.7" device is roughly a .26" shorter and .15" narrower than a 5" device and has 1.24 square inches, or 11.6% less viewing space.... without factoring in on screen buttons, etc ;)

Greg Wilkins

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm feeling dumber by the second as I read this thread! I've never even thought about it in the ways described!, just figured 4.7 is smaller than 4.99, so the theory is if you stepped in front of a speeding truck and it was 4.7 inches away from smashing your brains out of your sphincter, at that point would you sit there and say "sure wish I had 4.99 inches" really, it makes very, very little difference!

daveh98

May 4, 2013
Visit site
It's also .3 diagonally. Assuming they share the same 16:9 aspect ratio (bad assumption lately, but most Android devices fit this), a 5" screen is 4.36" long and 2.45" wide (both heavily rounded) and a 4.7" device is 4.10" long by 2.3" wide (again, rounding) so a 4.7" device is roughly a .26" shorter and .15" narrower than a 5" device and has 1.24 square inches, or 11.6% less viewing space.... without factoring in on screen buttons, etc ;)

Now this makes a ton of sense and puts into perspective my visual perception. Thanks for the clarification on viewing space.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000