4.2.2 delayed for US carriers due to an exclusivity deal with Verizon?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So I'm just speculating here, but this kinda makes sense. Verizon gets the HTC One waaay late. As a way to make it more enticing, they become the first ones to get 4.2.2 on it the US. It will the "only" One in the US to have it for a little while. They have the bargaining power and customer base to make something like this happen. Also wouldn't put it past em. Now that it's released, I'm betting we can expect 4.2.2 on other US carriers within the next month.

Nope. 4.2.2 has probably been available to the carriers for a while, they just aren't pushing it. There is no money to be made on an exclusivity deal like this.

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
The average customer does not know what version of Android their phone is running. They wouldn't waste their time spending money for exclusivity on a software upgrade. From the beginning the only reason for a delayed HTC One launch seems to have been due to the fact that they still had plenty of Droid DNA's in stock and wanted to clear those out first. There was also speculation that Verizon initially had no plans to carry the HTC One due to poor HTC performance from the previous models Verizon carried and may have decided to carry it late due to positive reviews, but there was never any proof of this. Their getting 4.2 is just likely a benefit of being late to the game. HTC is notoriously slow with updates anyway. They launched the phone with 4.1 despite the fact that 4.2 had been out for more than half a year and if it gets 4.3 at all that'll be amazing - but it wouldn't happen until sometime mid next year knowing HTC if it happens and KLP will more than likely never come.

Realistically, 4.2 will launch for other US carriers around the same time Verizon releases the One. I wouldn't be surprised if HTC was just waiting for Verizon's to come out and launch it in the US at the same time.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
You guys have to also consider the level of interest we all share for all things technology. Heck I'm positive the majority of htc one customers don't even care or Know what version number they are on. Yes this phone has great specs for the nerds but it offers alot that everyone can enjoy and therefore in turn attracts customers who wouldn't know who qualcomm was for example. So I highly doubt Verizon would spend money on such a thing.

Speaking of people not knowing the latest and greatest tech news. I returned a DSLR and the geek from the squad made a comment about my phone and how he was going to get one but Verizon never would get it. This was the day it was officially announced. Yesterday. I said yeah man and it's been rumored for awhile. He also didn't know 4.3 was out. His reasoning was his att gs3 didn't have it so it must not even be out right? So as you can see even those working in retail don't always know. I just doubt they would do that... Just my 2cents.

Sent from my HTC One

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The average customer does not know what version of Android their phone is running. They wouldn't waste their time spending money for exclusivity on a software upgrade. From the beginning the only reason for a delayed HTC One launch seems to have been due to the fact that they still had plenty of Droid DNA's in stock and wanted to clear those out first. There was also speculation that Verizon initially had no plans to carry the HTC One due to poor HTC performance from the previous models Verizon carried and may have decided to carry it late due to positive reviews, but there was never any proof of this. Their getting 4.2 is just likely a benefit of being late to the game. HTC is notoriously slow with updates anyway. They launched the phone with 4.1 despite the fact that 4.2 had been out for more than half a year and if it gets 4.3 at all that'll be amazing - but it wouldn't happen until sometime mid next year knowing HTC if it happens and KLP will more than likely never come.

Realistically, 4.2 will launch for other US carriers around the same time Verizon releases the One. I wouldn't be surprised if HTC was just waiting for Verizon's to come out and launch it in the US at the same time.

I agree with you on most points but as far as hTc holding 4.2 waiting for VZW's version to come out? NAAA.....

hTc has already released the update to the carriers so it's the carriers holding up the update. If htc were to release the 4.2.2 update to the carriers when it launches the ONE on VZW, then it would 3 months before it gets released on the other carriers....testing, retesting, adding crapware, etc., and that would be cwazy. I bet, any amount of money, the carriers have it and is waiting for phones with 4.3 installed to get a chance to get sold. They don't want a "cheaper" phone leapfrogging any new flagship about to be released. 4.2.2 is really just begun it's mainstream infiltration and 4.3??? Reserved for Nexus at the moment but will be trickling out soon to other flagship models. So as far as why 4.2.2 isn't released to the ONE yet remains to be seen and someone needs to be punished for a lack of forward looking insight. .