Super disappointed in battery charging

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well now you are just going to waste HTC 's time because now they are going to try to figure out what caused the phone to malfunction so they can either fix it or stay away from certain design so this doesn't happen. Lying for your gain isn't right.

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
A higher amp charger will NOT damage any phone, ever. The only way it would damage the phone is if you somehow got it connected to a higher VOLTAGE source, but as long the connector meets the USB spec it should be 5 volts.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Well now you are just going to waste HTC 's time because now they are going to try to figure out what caused the phone to malfunction so they can either fix it or stay away from certain design so this doesn't happen. Lying for your gain isn't right.

You're assuming that he and others will definitely have an issue with their phones by doing this. What if you're wrong? What if 2amp charger does not equal certain death to your phone? Then what? Have you even considered that possibility, or do you just think you are right all the time?

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying that and I am not saying that I am always right. But, you can't tell me that "did you use a third party charger?" isn't one of the first questions that any insurance will ask. So obviously there is something bad about using third party chargers if it can void a warranty.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying that and I am not saying that I am always right. But, you can't tell me that "did you use a third party charger?" isn't one of the first questions that any insurance will ask. So obviously there is something bad about using third party chargers if it can void a warranty.

The fact that it may give a manufacturer an excuse to void a warranty does not mean there is something bad. Heck, if I put an aftermarket fuel filter in my truck Ford would have an excuse to void my warranty.

USB is a licensed standard. All products utilizing it should be compliant.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Lol oh no wasting a corporations time.. Because they are so low on workers.

Lol again.. Sorry it will be fine. Just like other phones..

A higher amp charger will NOT damage any phone, ever. The only way it would damage the phone is if you somehow got it connected to a higher VOLTAGE source, but as long the connector meets the USB spec it should be 5 volts.

Agreed.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You're assuming that he and others will definitely have an issue with their phones by doing this. What if you're wrong? What if 2amp charger does not equal certain death to your phone? Then what? Have you even considered that possibility, or do you just think you are right all the time?

I believe he thinks he is right.. He for some reason didn't like my comment about people actually wanting to use their phone for things like navigation and music.. Without it discharging. Some people may spend more time on the road then him so they need it to charge..

Either way. It will be fine. Sure it may.. May.. Degrade the battery a little more but that's worth it versus not being able to use your phone imo.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There is a setting in the navigation program which dims the screen until just before you need to turn. This can also be disabled.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

"not saying that I am always right" followed by "you can't tell me". LOL.....classic.

I get your point about warrenties, but that doesn't mean that there aren't reputable companies making well made chargers that give people no problems. And while I suppose it's possible to get a cranky insurance company, other ones are only concerned with the number of claims you make in a given period. So no, it's not an automatic given, that the first question "any" insurance company will ask is what charger were you using.

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
"not saying that I am always right" followed by "you can't tell me". LOL.....classic.

I get your point about warrenties, but that doesn't mean that there aren't reputable companies making well made chargers that give people no problems. And while I suppose it's possible to get a cranky insurance company, other ones are only concerned with the number of claims you make in a given period. So no, it's not an automatic given, that the first question "any" insurance company will ask is what charger were you using.

Aren't all of them cranky! They are always finding a way to void a warranty.

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I scanned the responses in this thread and didn't see this, but forgive me if I missed it.

The issue with net loss of battery life during heavy use in the car is related to both the amp rating of the power adapter, as well as whether the adapter is a dedicated charge port, which is part of the USB charge specification. Obviously, if the adapter is rated for less than 1000mA, the max the One will draw, you won't charge at maximal speed, but getting an adapter rated for more than 1000mA shouldn't make any difference, so long as it's a dedicated charge port. DCP shorts out the data transfer pins, signalling to the device that it can draw more current, whereas non DCPs limit current draw to 900mA. One would think that a car power adapter would be a DCP because it obviously has no data capacity, but that seems not to be universally the case. The easy way to tell is to go to the stock power screen from settings while plugged in. If it says charging - A/C, it's a DCP and can draw up to 1A, if it says charging - USB it's not a DCP and will draw less.

I can vouch that with the proper adapter you can run as much as you want and still charge. I use the HTC car dock, and have nav running, the screen at max brightness, streaming music both from the cloud and to the stereo via bluetooth, and it still charges. It gets hot, but it charges.

Bethany Meyer

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there an App that is available that will tell you how much charge your phone is receiving?
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you go into Settings > Power, it'll either say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If your charger is one of the higher amp ones it should say AC. I have a charger that has a high amp on one port and lower amp on the other so that's how I figured out which one to use.

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you go into Settings > Power, it'll either say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If your charger is one of the higher amp ones it should say AC. I have a charger that has a high amp on one port and lower amp on the other so that's how I figured out which one to use.

Thanks for that. As a result I have discovered that I had a defective USB cable that was only allowing a "USB" charge. I tried a different USB cable, and now consistently get an "AC" charge, and my phone shows to be "net gaining" charge while simultaneously using the device as a GPS.

Last edited: