Stay away from this phone

milo2772

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Loved this phone till top speaker started to crackle. Bought it 2 months ago and now I have to pay $50 to get a new phone replaced. It's under warranty and HTC says I need to send in the phone for repairs that takes 10 days. This is my business phone and HTC told me to just use a different phone while it's fixed. I guess everyone else has a spare phone around? After talking to a sprint store rep this blown speaker is starting to become a more frequent problem on this phone. Unless u buy insurance be prepared to shell out 50 every time your phone speaker blows.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So, all should stay away because you picked up a phone with a defective speaker. Nevermind the millions of us who have been pumping the speakers to their limits with no problems whatsoever! I probably should not have responded like all the otheres that viewed your post, but to extrapolate that every person who buys this phone after you will have blown speakers is very ....how should i say this... STUPID! LOL!:p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If it is replaced under warranty, why do you have to pay for the replacement phone? If you bought it through Costco, you can call them, they should send you a new one free so long as you are within the 90 days return and exchange period , and then you just send the old one back. They will charge you a core charge, if you want this method, though it is worth it since you get the replacement phone first. The core charge will be refunded once they receive the old phone.

My old HTC rezound had a defective top speaker similar to yours, Costco replaced it free. Personally, I would think that this should qualify as a manufacturers defect and be covered free

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

milo2772

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to pay if I want it swapped out or wait to get it fixed for free. Look online at all the people having this issue now. Not just a handfull of devices

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does Sprint charge this fee? Or HTC?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
when does it crackle?

it has been reported that the speaker crackles occasionally when playing youtube videos (and with beats audio turned on). mine does this from time to time. best way to determine if its a hardware failure is to use it with different apps to see if its consistent.

when i play mp3, for instance, the problem doesn't replicate. i am hoping the upcoming patch will fix this problem, because sending it for a repair would be pointless.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Should probably have changed title to "Stay away from Sprint" since HTC is offering to fix it for free.

Hey now, Sprint ponied up a new one for 50 bucks. VZW or AT&T would have told him to pound sand and send it to HTC. Even with insurance, he would have had to pony up 100+ so 50 bucks is a deal.

To note though, my One still works perfectly and I do have spare phones lying around incase this does happen. It will happen, sooner or later.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had issues with htc phones before on Verizon. In the past, Verizon has always sent me a refurbished first, and at no charge

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
BS. If it is under a year old, replacement is free and instantaneous. Warranty.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey now, Sprint ponied up a new one for 50 bucks. VZW or AT&T would have told him to pound sand and send it to HTC. Even with insurance, he would have had to pony up 100+ so 50 bucks is a deal.

To note though, my One still works perfectly and I do have spare phones lying around incase this does happen. It will happen, sooner or later.

Point Jerry was making was don't bash HTC since they will do it for free. Going to make a thread, title it to target the proper audience.

Sprint is charging me for something HTC will do for free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So, all should stay away because you picked up a phone with a defective speaker. Nevermind the millions of us who have been pumping the speakers to their limits with no problems whatsoever! I probably should not have responded like all the otheres that viewed your post, but to extrapolate that every person who buys this phone after you will have blown speakers is very ....how should i say this... STUPID! LOL!:p

Sorry but, in defense of the OP, the "blown speaker" issue with the HTC ONE is a well documented issue.

I wonder if its the speaker or the top speaker cover vibrating? That thing is NOT zero gap. You can push it with your finger. There's a big gap there.

I was going to wait for HTC Butterfly S, but I really don't trust HTC build quality.

Hackett00

May 3, 2013
Visit site
BS. If it is under a year old, replacement is free and instantaneous. Warranty.

Posted via Android Central App

This. My phone stopped charging. I think the USB port was basically dead. Took it to the Sprint store. They recognized it as a device malfunction and told me that it was technically covered by both warranty and insurance. They ordered me a new phone which I picked up 3 days later free of charge. The replacement wasn't refurb either.

Factory: HT - Hsinchu, Taiwan
Date of manufacture: 08/04/2013

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised, but it is Sprint policy. The $50 fee isn't an htc issue though, since it is a sprint charge. Most manufacturer require you to send in the device first, it should be in the warranty brochure that came with the phone. Admittedly, Sprint policy kinda sucks but just remember that the warranty is with htc, not Sprint. Sprint does offer replacement phones, but is not legally obligated to do so, as is true of all carriers. As such, carriers can set up whatever policy and charge whatever they want.

Anyway from Sprint website :

" If you're not enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP), repairing your device may cost $50.00 for mechanical/electrical failure or wear and tear."

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...otection/1fe744da-e981-4bcd-988d-a35610d5b042

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34