HTC One - What's happening about the "speaker blown" problem?

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the popping, crackling speaker on my phone and also the purple tint on camera during low light. Sent my phone in for repair, got it back last week and everything is perfect and working, no problems.

Posted via Android Central App

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: What's happening about the "speaker blown" problem?

My first htc one had a popped top speaker. Could still use it but was crackly as hell... Took it in for replacement as the infared receiver was pooped as well. New phone was issued to me.

jade200291

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I've seen a youtube video on it, and a load of comments saying they have it too and asking how to fix it. I didn't post this in the other topic since it seems to be plagued with trolls who would give me false information. Hoping to get a few legit answers here before they notice.

I have also had this problem with the speaker. Within 2/3 weeks it had blown and I never have it on full blast and mainly use the headphones, took it back and they exchanged for new one and few months along the line this one has now blown so will be getting in touch with htc

Laniel Palencia

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

My first htc one had a popped top speaker. Could still use it but was crackly as hell... Took it in for replacement as the infared receiver was pooped as well. New phone was issued to me.

I've had my HTC One for 5months now and still on its warranty, i also had it insured in case anything happened...but unfortunately yesterday my bottom speakers sounded crackly and seems blown off... from music, notifications, alerts, ringtones,,and everything..it was not exposed to iron dust or what so ever..it wasnt even dropped bought a otterbox defender casing since day1... brought my phone to the htc store where i bought it and told me to go their service center...the service center told us that they would try to REPAIR the fone..i think its a hardware problem..if its my fault i would accept to have it repaired but it seems like a factory defect...and i want it replaced with a new one..where did you have yours changed? Im starting to doubt htc's services with this..im loving their phone already and now this?!
-->htcOne user philippines

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I don't think it is fixable because my phone got swapped out for a brand new unit. So if the manufacturer cannot fix it, what hope do we have?

msooffutt

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Had my HTC sent in for speaker repair and got it back working. After two weeks, and the speakers only used about three or four times, they are crackling again. I called HTC and the guy asked what software version I had, and I told him 4.3. He said that there is a fix coming up in a month or so that is suppose to address a speaker issue. I really doubt it will fix this particular speaker problem, but told him I would wait for that instead of sending in my phone, which would be gone for at least two weeks. Thankfully I still have my iphone to use as a backup, so it wouldn't be a huge big deal. Really wish HTC had the same customer service that Apple has. Apple has their problems, but customer service isn't one of them. If you have a broken iphone, apple immediately sends a replacement, and once you receive it, you send back the broken one. Never without a phone unless you break it to the point of not working at all, and then you'll only be without a phone for two or three days, unless you have a apple store near by which I don't.

gankstar5

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I guess I have been unlucky with the HTC One. With my first phone, I was experiencing issues after the 4.3 update. I gave the phone to my network provider and received a shiny new handset after 5 days. I was so happy until I started the new phone... only to hear that the speakers are 'blown.'

I have tried turning off Beats Audio and NFC, restarting, testing sound in the ringtones section, playing videos on YouTube etc. There is still distortion/jarring of the speakers. I will be giving the phone in again tomorrow. Wish me luck!

4sfed

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site

Don't tell me it's not a problem. I'm on my fourth HTC One in less than three months . . . all from blown speakers. Of course the replacements are refurbs, the last one failing in 10 days. The speaker just start to buzz like a cracked diaphragm. I do not play music or use it as a speaker phone.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Don't tell me it's not a problem. I'm on my fourth HTC One in less than three months . . . all from blown speakers. Of course the replacements are refurbs, the last one failing in 10 days. The speaker just start to buzz like a cracked diaphragm. I do not play music or use it as a speaker phone.

Maybe that's your problem, your not using it for what it was created for? So the speaker gets in a strop, cries out that he's getting no love from his owner and refuses to work?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

When someone says they have more than 2 replacement phones I immediately think that the user is at fault. That's bs and why prices are the way they are.
First off its a known issue with the equalizer and beats audio that some things like YouTube will have a vibration of the speaker which can cause some cracking sound when played. It's been discussed here many times. There are work around if you're having the problem. Just simply replacing your one over and over its not changing anything.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had a blown top speaker and I called sprint and they sent me a new phone at no charge HTC wanted me to send them my phone so they could repair it . I have insurance also .

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My replacement phone has been great, apart from the small dent in the metal I couldn't be happier. I can only presume mine was a refurb. Still going strong though.

WogerDog

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this problem very recently. Had my first HTC One since late October. Two days before New Years my top speaker "blew" for no apparent reason. Just a loud crackle sounds coming out of the phone speaker during calls or playing any type of sounds (Music, gps directions, etc.) Turning off Beats made the sounds worse (so likely hardware?). I sent my phone to Verizon for an exchange for a referb. Got the replacement phone this Monday, and this evening (2 days later) I'm presented with the exact same problem!

I'm rather clueless what would be causing this. I work in a rather dust-less environment and speakers are mostly used for GPS / speakerphone on occasion. I've never had to replace a phone due to a defect for the past 10 years. Having 2 defects in under a month is quite frustrating and doesn't give me much confidence in HTC if this has been a known problem.

I really want to love this phone, but the past posts on this thread is giving me more reason to jump ship to the Galaxy S4 while I still can. Would that be over-reacting and should I give HTC referb another chance? (3 times the charm?)

mugenlude19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I work at a VZW store and only had 1 customer ever have this issue since launch. He also listened to hair band rock n roll on full blast including ringtones and notifications. I love my HTC One.

msooffutt

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd give an update about my phone. In my last post, I said that customer service told me to wait for a software update that they said was suppose to fix a speaker issue. I didn't believe that this would work for my problem, since it's seemed clear that I had a blown speaker, and decided to just send it in to HTC for repair. I got the phone back a couple weeks ago and so far it's working good. Hopefully I won't have to send it back anymore. This was my second time for repair. The first time they fixed the micro usb, because it wasn't charging right, and it would over heat. It's a really great phone when everything is working good on it. I've debated on selling it before something else goes wrong, but not sure yet. Right now I'm loving it again so I'm kind of torn.

Damn Whatashame

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I was desperately looking for other people experiencing the same "blown speakers" issue on their One (M7) and now I've found this one so I took the time to register....

I have this problem for a long while now on my One (M7) and it started after using it for several months....
Resetting the device, updates, beats audio on/off, nothing helped....

The reason why I'm concerned now: I can extend my contract within 2 days with Vodafone (living in the Netherlands) so I can choose a new phone, I do like the new HTC One (M8) and besides the speaker problem, I do like the rest of my old HTC One so I would like to get the M8, but now I'm scared as hell ...
I don't want to have the same problems again with this newer model because I want it to be 100% functional till my contract ends again....
Are the speakers physically different on the M8 (besides the new amplifier) ?

So my heart tells me to get the new M8, experience tells me to get the iphone 5s (I've owned a 4s and it had never let me down) and my brains tell me to get the Sony Z2...
I'm lost :)

A luxury problem, I know...

Mark Phelps

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
A short clip of my third HTC One, all have developed this same problem and this one has been repaired by HTC themselves, only to fail again within 4 months.
This phone has been well looked after and never dropped (just like the other three) I asked HTC for a refund as I believed I had given them a fair chance but they flatly refused, saying they would 'expect' to repair this kind of fault three or four times!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-AujDHdAKo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance