HTC One - What's happening about the "speaker blown" problem?

wanted198

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Are HTC doing anything about it? Releasing a software that prevents it, fixing all newly produced models, etc? This is a real dealbreaker, I might have to go with an S4 if they're not going to fix this.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: What's happening about the "speaker blown" problem?

a8a2y4us.jpg
The fact is the op already commented about this very topic in a post in this forum.
butesera.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

No offense, but this sounds like the 'burn-in' issue with the S4: only the poster seems to know about it and everyone else seems to be oblivious to this. I say this because, so far, I've only seen a couple of reports of this blown speaker thing for the One, and even less for the S4 burn-in. I wouldn't necessarily see this as a 'deal breaker' if it's not that widespread (again, if there's some supporting data, I'm more than happy to stand corrected).

That being said, IF this is a real problem, a software patch wouldn't seem to be able to fix it since this is a physical damage issue. Other than replacing bad speaker membranes and improving the quality of their new units, there's no quick fix (oh, yeah, you could reinforce the membrane with tape or acrylic coating...but that's too DIY and definitely bound to void your warranty).

wanted198

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

No offense, but this sounds like the 'burn-in' issue with the S4: only the poster seems to know about it and everyone else seems to be oblivious to this. I say this because, so far, I've only seen a couple of reports of this blown speaker thing for the One, and even less for the S4 burn-in. I wouldn't necessarily see this as a 'deal breaker' if it's not that widespread (again, if there's some supporting data, I'm more than happy to stand corrected).

That being said, IF this is a real problem, a software patch wouldn't seem to be able to fix it since this is a physical damage issue. Other than replacing bad speaker membranes and improving the quality of their new units, there's no quick fix (oh, yeah, you could reinforce the membrane with tape or acrylic coating...but that's too DIY and definitely bound to void your warranty).

I've seen a youtube video on it, and a load of comments saying they have it too and asking how to fix it. I didn't post this in the other topic since it seems to be plagued with trolls who would give me false information. Hoping to get a few legit answers here before they notice.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I've had the One for a while now and have yet to actually come across anyone who's experienced any issue with the speakers. I know there has been a TON of trolling about the issue, but so far for me hardware is fantastic.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I've had the One for a while now and have yet to actually come across anyone who's experienced any issue with the speakers. I know there has been a TON of trolling about the issue, but so far for me hardware is fantastic.

Same here man... So far so good

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The One has a fantastic hardware build and speakers that are clear and loud. I listen to music on mine several times a day, at varying volume levels (though often at max). No issues here, and a few local friends with the One haven't had it happen either. While we're still speaking of relatively small sample groups here, the general sense is still one of blown speakers being a more isolated issue. I recognize that it's mentioned in multiple places (different blogs, forums) in comments, but that doesn't necessarily signify a problem worthy of disregarding the One.

That said, if you really like the One, get the one. If you'd like, you could probably give the speakers a test in the store before walking out with it. The previously-suggested device insurance also isn't a bad idea.

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I've seen a youtube video on it, and a load of comments saying they have it too and asking how to fix it. I didn't post this in the other topic since it seems to be plagued with trolls who would give me false information. Hoping to get a few legit answers here before they notice.

...and so I think you are hearing that you are showing a great deal of concern about an issue that many of us cannot relate to. Consider this- let me know what phones you may be considering (including the One) and I will give you a few Google search terms that will allow you to go into an OCD frenzy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I've had a Sprint HTC One and a T-Mobile HTC One... Neither had this issue.

I still don't with my T-Mobile one.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I've not heard of this either. I run my phone with utter disregard for any sort of longevity. I crank my speakers all the way up daily listening to news radio in the morning getting dressed. Every other day by my pool, in my sometimes dusty garage, and on speakerphone with people during the work day with people that sometimes have shrill annoying voices. No busted speakers yet...

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

wanted198

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

The One has a fantastic hardware build and speakers that are clear and loud. I listen to music on mine several times a day, at varying volume levels (though often at max). No issues here, and a few local friends with the One haven't had it happen either. While we're still speaking of relatively small sample groups here, the general sense is still one of blown speakers being a more isolated issue. I recognize that it's mentioned in multiple places (different blogs, forums) in comments, but that doesn't necessarily signify a problem worthy of disregarding the One.

That said, if you really like the One, get the one. If you'd like, you could probably give the speakers a test in the store before walking out with it. The previously-suggested device insurance also isn't a bad idea.

Thanks for the advice it reassured me. I am not in a position to be able to buy phone insurance though, I don't want to over this either really.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
What's happening about the "speaker blown" problem?

It's amazing how the HTC SALES people here always accuse others to be trolls when they have problems.

There are many experiencing blown out speakers. So many that I've even heard about it, and I'm an iPhone user not interested in this phone.

Don't accuse people of being trolls.

Has it ever occurred to you that, just like the One X wifi problem (the one HTC acknowledged) that the speaker blown problem may have been an issue with a batch of ONEs and was silently fixed in manufacturing. Maybe all these people having problems were unlucky and got one of the ones with issues.

Wouldn't be the first time an HTC phone has hardware/build quality problems. They're quite notorious for making iffy phones.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Blown speakers can be caused by metalic and ferrous dust that gets attracted to the magnetic speaker through the grille. The dust gets stuck on the speaker and the speaker can no longer vibrate the same way to create sound. That could explain some of the speaker issues. I've had this happen on the Evo.

Posted via Android Central App