My contract is up at the end of September with Sprint. With the HTC One being the first Sprint phone I've had with a SIM card, can it be unlocked and used with a AT&T Go plan? Or do I just have to buy a new phone?

Posted via Android Central App
    08-27-2013 10:22 PM
    My contract is up at the end of September with Sprint. With the HTC One being the first Sprint phone I've had with a SIM card, can it be unlocked and used with a AT&T Go plan? Or do I just have to buy a new phone?

Posted via Android Central App
    At&t is gsm and Sprint is cdma so you would not be able to use the same phone

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
    08-27-2013 11:53 PM
    It can be unlocked to use on att and tmo. But you will only get 3g.

How to unlock the Sprint HTC One?
    08-28-2013 07:10 AM
    At&t is gsm and Sprint is cdma so you would not be able to use the same phone

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
    Incorrect. Back in the day this was correct but phones now a days (such as the HTC One and the Galaxy S4) have the GSM and CDMA radios in them. That is why the Sprint version of the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 can be used overseas on GSM carriers.

Sprint would have to unlock your HTC One for it to be used on T-Mobile or AT&T. Good luck though with getting this done... I tried so hard for them to unlock my HTC One that I had with them and they flat out said no they will only unlock for international use.... And I even paid full price for the phone so it wasn't subsidized by them.

That is what drove me to drop them and go to T-Mobile. Luckily I was able to return my HTC One for Sprint back to Amazon in time and switch... Pissed me off so bad for them to tell me I have to use that phone on their network when they didn't subsidize it or anything.. I fully bought it.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    STARGATE and pergerson6 like this.
    08-28-2013 08:02 AM
    If you paid full retail for it then sprint should be in the wrong for not unlocking it. I mean in general while it maybe be a sprint phone. Its your phone and should be able to do with it as you please. They didnt lose money on it. My theory is ALL phones should be unlocked to use wherever the buyer pleases. It would make things so much easier.
    STARGATE likes this.
    08-28-2013 08:07 AM
    If you paid full retail for it then sprint should be in the wrong for not unlocking it. I mean in general while it maybe be a sprint phone. Its your phone and should be able to do with it as you please. They didnt lose money on it. My theory is ALL phones should be unlocked to use wherever the buyer pleases. It would make things so much easier.
    Agreed. That's why I was so mad.. It's like I dropped $580 on the phone.. You didn't help.. But are telling me I have to keep it locked to you (except for international)? Pfft.. I dropped them so fast. When I called to ensure my line was canceled after the number transfer they asked why I was leaving and I simply said because I bought a phone fully and you tell me I can't unlock it ever even though you didn't pay for it. The guy didn't say much about it.

Either way.. Bought the T-Mobile HTC One full price and good to go .

08-28-2013 08:12 AM
    I like having prepaid service. And since im in good with a rep I can get some decent deals as well as some other perks. I actually have a issue now that im gonna try to deal with in a bit. Bought a used note 2 clear esn with sprint. But phone was flashed to ntelos, prepaid. The owner decided to go the contract route but didnt cancel the prepay line. Even though its inactive and not charge. I still need to have them cancel it so I can resell it 2 ways (ntelos or sprint) instead of 1 way (just sprint). I can bank more from a ntelos customer lol
    08-28-2013 08:24 AM
    Incorrect. Back in the day this was correct but phones now a days (such as the HTC One and the Galaxy S4) have the GSM and CDMA radios in them. That is why the Sprint version of the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 can be used overseas on GSM carriers.

Sprint would have to unlock your HTC One for it to be used on T-Mobile or AT&T. Good luck though with getting this done... I tried so hard for them to unlock my HTC One that I had with them and they flat out said no they will only unlock for international use.... And I even paid full price for the phone so it wasn't subsidized by them.

That is what drove me to drop them and go to T-Mobile. Luckily I was able to return my HTC One for Sprint back to Amazon in time and switch... Pissed me off so bad for them to tell me I have to use that phone on their network when they didn't subsidize it or anything.. I fully bought it.

Yes, you right.
    Another phone with Sprint that had both, CDMA & GSM radios was the Photon 4G, I've used it in Mxico with no problems at all.
    Almeuit, I didn't know the full scope of your move to T-Mobile. I probably would've done the same.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    c_elliott83 and Almeuit like this.
    08-28-2013 08:45 AM
    See thats like the note 2 for sprint has a sprint sim embedded into it. But Verizons version is a complete world phone. Sprint just likes to screw over people in general
    08-28-2013 08:52 AM
    Yes, you right.
    Another phone with Sprint that had both, CDMA & GSM radios was the Photon 4G, I've used it in Mxico with no problems at all.
    Almeuit, I didn't know the full scope of your move to T-Mobile. I probably would've done the same.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    Yeah it mainly was that. The data speeds are better in my area for T-mobile but I knew that from day 1 with Sprint. I was able to stream music at work with Sprint and that's the most important thing to me... But after they did that... It just pissed me off so I left lol.

OP - try your luck.. I am curious if they will do the same to you.

c_elliott83 likes this.
    08-28-2013 10:18 AM