HTC One camera problems, please help!

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I know this has been posted before but I didn't exactly find what I was looking for.

I got the One (Silver on Sprint) about a week ago and have noticed some color and quality issues with the camera pictures. For instance, when I take pictures in low light, a lot of times the screen shows a red/purple haze. I got a replacement device this morning, new, and although it is slightly better, it still has the same problem. I took it in to my local Sprint store, where they were absolutely no help, did not know what the problem was (i understand it is not their fault), and acted like they had never even seen the device before in their lives. I asked if anyone else came in with this problem and the rep. said I was the first. Another rep. said he used to have the phone but never once took a picture so he didn't know how it was supposed to look. I told the rep. to turn off the lights (and he actually did! ;)) but it still wasn't dark enough so he went to the back room and left the lights off and saw what I was talking about and said yeah, that'ts only when it's pitch black, that's how they all are. I told him I have never had this problem with a phone before and he said he doesn't know. I took both my original and replacement devices (i got them through a business rep. and not in store) and showed him pictures i took of the same things on both and showed him that there was still some purple even if it wasn't completely dark.

The other day we were up on the mountain at night and I took really good and clear pictures of the sun set. It didn't have the purple/red then but it does other times.

Also, does the type of light affect the quality? In my house we have white lights in some rooms and yellow lights in others. Pictures are clear in white light and fuzzy in the yellow (on both devices). Also, in some cases, even with only light from the sun, the outer parts (not just the edges, but a majority of the screen) of the pictures also appear fuzzy, on both devices.

What I want to know is, is this just a problem with my 2 devices? I know a bunch of people have this problem, but does anyone NOT have this problem? Is it normal for this phone? Also, for those who have the Black or Red versions of the phone, do you guys have this problem? Every webpage I have visited relating to this issue has featured a silver One.

I want to call back my rep. tomorrow and try to get another one, but will that make a difference or will they all have this problem?

Sorry for the long paragraphs, i'm just about to lose it. Everything else about this phone is exactly the way it should be and it is by far the best phone I have ever used, save for these camera issues.

Thank you!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I know this has been posted before but I didn't exactly find what I was looking for.

I got the One (Silver on Sprint) about a week ago and have noticed some color and quality issues with the camera pictures. For instance, when I take pictures in low light, a lot of times the screen shows a red/purple haze. I got a replacement device this morning, new, and although it is slightly better, it still has the same problem. I took it in to my local Sprint store, where they were absolutely no help, did not know what the problem was (i understand it is not their fault), and acted like they had never even seen the device before in their lives. I asked if anyone else came in with this problem and the rep. said I was the first. Another rep. said he used to have the phone but never once took a picture so he didn't know how it was supposed to look. I told the rep. to turn off the lights (and he actually did! ;)) but it still wasn't dark enough so he went to the back room and left the lights off and saw what I was talking about and said yeah, that'ts only when it's pitch black, that's how they all are. I told him I have never had this problem with a phone before and he said he doesn't know. I took both my original and replacement devices (i got them through a business rep. and not in store) and showed him pictures i took of the same things on both and showed him that there was still some purple even if it wasn't completely dark.

The other day we were up on the mountain at night and I took really good and clear pictures of the sun set. It didn't have the purple/red then but it does other times.

Also, does the type of light affect the quality? In my house we have white lights in some rooms and yellow lights in others. Pictures are clear in white light and fuzzy in the yellow (on both devices). Also, in some cases, even with only light from the sun, the outer parts (not just the edges, but a majority of the screen) of the pictures also appear fuzzy, on both devices.

What I want to know is, is this just a problem with my 2 devices? I know a bunch of people have this problem, but does anyone NOT have this problem? Is it normal for this phone? Also, for those who have the Black or Red versions of the phone, do you guys have this problem? Every webpage I have visited relating to this issue has featured a silver One.

I want to call back my rep. tomorrow and try to get another one, but will that make a difference or will they all have this problem?

Sorry for the long paragraphs, i'm just about to lose it. Everything else about this phone is exactly the way it should be and it is by far the best phone I have ever used, save for these camera issues.

Thank you!

I have the AT&T version, got it on launch day, and I haven't had any problems with it, camera or otherwise.

nathy321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the same silver phone from sprint and I have the same problem with the purple haze in certain low light situations.. hopefully with the update we r supposed to be receiving soon they fix this issue

verdana

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and reported on HTC Support. They told me that a fix is on the way. Hopefully it really is a software issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Mickey230789

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey , Mine is also having the same problem . Initially when i got this phone was working fine . though i didnt take many images in dark . But it was working fine . I think after i updated my phone android to 4.2 then only this problem came . I dont know how to resolve this problem . This is one of the major issue now in HTC one .

verdana

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I am bringing my phone at my local carrier and try to get an exchange then eventually to a repair center

Posted via Android Central App

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why would you take a photo in the pitch black room? Pervert? ;-D

Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to my issue.

It's the principal of the thing. When I first noticed the purple haze I turned out the lights completely to see what would happen and tried the same on my old phones/iPod and those showed up completely black while this phone came out completely purple.

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue after some of the replies. I have noticed when switching to zoe mode there is less of a purple haze. Also, I tried out snapchat the other day and when using the rear camera there is almost no haze on the app. I hope they can get this fixed soon so I can take the pictures that this phone was meant for and to prove to my brother that the camera is fantistic (he refuses to even try the phone out because of the 4mp camera)

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue after some of the replies. I have noticed when switching to zoe mode there is less of a purple haze. Also, I tried out snapchat the other day and when using the rear camera there is almost no haze on the app. I hope they can get this fixed soon so I can take the pictures that this phone was meant for and to prove to my brother that the camera is fantistic (he refuses to even try the phone out because of the 4mp camera)

The One does not have a fantastic camera. If a great camera on a phone is that important to him, his avoiding the One is a good move.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing to my issue.

It's the principal of the thing. When I first noticed the purple haze I turned out the lights completely to see what would happen and tried the same on my old phones/iPod and those showed up completely black while this phone came out completely purple.

Easy there grasshopper, it was just a joke, lighten up!

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I've tried duplicating the issue on my HTC ONE AT&T version, but it simply is just black and or just a "low light" looking picture. Did you try resetting your camera to default setting?

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've tried duplicating the issue on my HTC ONE AT&T version, but it simply is just black and or just a "low light" looking picture. Did you try resetting your camera to default setting?

yes i tried resetting the camera settings and all that good stuff but nada. It seems that no one with an ATT version has this problem. Maybe it is just a sprint problem. If so it is the least of sprint's problems (Why do I never have service???) I am anxiously waiting for them to light up 4G in san Diego (which happens to be one of the largest cities in the U.S. and yet we always get forgotten by sprint. And yes I know 4G is active in some areas but not on this phone, as some people have discussed in other forums). Switching carriers is not an option for me.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you've not been able to resolve this! Can you post a picture here so we can see for ourself? I just took a picture in nearly pitch dark environment, and I did get a reddish haze, but that's expected, as the camera's low light abilities would be attempting to magnify the available light, as would night vision goggles, uses surrounding low light to enhance the image. I'm beginning to think that your issue is nothing more than your camera, doing what its supposed to do, in that its trying to make light, where there is none. I'm no camera expert, but your issue kind of makes sense to me now.

THE BELOW PICTURE WAS TAKEN UNDER MY DESK, WITH ONLY THE LIGHT THAT WAS REFLECTED OFF OF ME, ONTO THE BACK WALL UNDER MY DESK.

IMAG0099.jpg

-chris

Last edited:

slckofit

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be a problem with many HTC One users me included. There are videos and threads pertaining to this problem around the web. It was mentioned that HTC does know about the problem and it seems to be a software issue. If you place the phone backside down where the camera lens is cover, turn on the camera and tap on the screen to focus, you'll notice that the screen becomes very noisy and turns pink/purplish. Hopefully this an be fixed soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary