This Bluetooth reception issue I am having; could it be that I have a bad phone??

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Would really appreciate everyone's feedback here_
I have now purchased FIVE different BT headsets to vet this problem and it appears that no matter waht i use, people onth eother end of my phone tell me that I sound "tinny", "hollow sounding" and "shrill". I can assure you that is not my personal voice:p

My One is not allowing for good sound via BT.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's been said that it's android 4.1's Bluetooth stack that is causing the problem. They say it's fixed in 4.2 but we are getting 4.3 here soon.

I have MANY BT's as well and I get the same response as you sometimes...not all the time though...and only when I use Google search as voice recognition. Since I got the Motorola Sliver II and use the My motospeak app, they say I sound much better. Might be a placebo though. But yeah, it's a known problem (not just with the ONE) with us that use BT exclusively.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 before and that's exactly what people said to me. I may as well have written your exact post. Then I got the one and used the same stuff and people said I sound like I'm not even using one. I used it on my HTC1 with 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 with the same results. No problems at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It's been said that it's android 4.1's Bluetooth stack that is causing the problem. They say it's fixed in 4.2 but we are getting 4.3 here soon.

I have MANY BT's as well and I get the same response as you sometimes...not all the time though...and only when I use Google search as voice recognition. Since I got the Motorola Sliver II and use the My motospeak app, they say I sound much better. Might be a placebo though. But yeah, it's a known problem (not just with the ONE) with us that use BT exclusively.

How do I know which "Bluetooth Stack" i am currently using?
What do you mean by "we are getting 4.3 here soon"?

I had an iPhone 4 before and that's exactly what people said to me. I may as well have written your exact post. Then I got the one and used the same stuff and people said I sound like I'm not even using one. I used it on my HTC1 with 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 with the same results. No problems at all.

Im a little confused here.
When you say 4.1.2 and 4.2.2, are you referring to the OS or the "Bluetooth Stack"? (and I'm not even sure I know what the latter is.)

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My apologies. I am running Bluetooth 4.0. But I'm offering that when I had my original ROM with AT&T I was on 4.1.2 for Android ' OS revision it worked perfectly. Then I did the custom Android Revolution HD 13 ROM which contains Android 4.2.2 and it still works perfectly. I'm glad my Bluetooth devices work much better on this device than my iPhone 4.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

My apologies. I am running Bluetooth 4.0. But I'm offering that when I had my original ROM with AT&T I was on 4.1.2 for Android ' OS revision it worked perfectly. Then I did the custom Android Revolution HD 13 ROM which contains Android 4.2.2 and it still works perfectly. I'm glad my Bluetooth devices work much better on this device than my iPhone 4.

Still not following here...what is a Bluetooth Stack exactly?
I am running Android 4.2.2-shouldn't that have the latest and greatest BT version?

If not, do you have any possible solutions for me?

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
It's a set of protocol layers that work together. You can get more intricate definitions online with ease.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Still not following here...what is a Bluetooth Stack exactly?
I am running Android 4.2.2-shouldn't that have the latest and greatest BT version?

If not, do you have any possible solutions for me?

The bluetooth stack is built into android and only Google or developers can change it. It's not an app you can download.

HTC promised 4.3 to U.S. customers by end of September....but I'm doubting this...

If you're running 4.2.2, you're running the latest OS and latest BT stack. My guess is for you to buy the best BT you can buy and try it.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The bluetooth stack is built into android and only Google or developers can change it. It's not an app you can download.

HTC promised 4.3 to U.S. customers by end of September....but I'm doubting this...

If you're running 4.2.2, you're running the latest OS and latest BT stack. My guess is for you to buy the best BT you can buy and try it.

Thanks for the info.
Ive bought 4 different BT's thus far...all having the same problem.

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the exact same issue and am running 4.2.2. Two different Plantronics headsets sound like crap on my One but both sound perfect on my wife's iPhone. C'mon 4.3!!!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I just got the new Motorola Sliver II. It is freakin' awesome!! Blows away any BT I have ever owned...and I have owned / still own a ton of them!

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE!!! (C&P'ed from this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...uetooth-headset-sound-quality-issues-one.html)

I complained multiple times in a medium where I thought I would get a response, and finally did.

I won't (yet) reveal the details but I want you all to know HTC is now aware of the issue and is working with me as the guinea pig to resolve this issue. They've gone to the effort of duplicating my phone (hardware/software) but couldn't duplicate the trouble. They're NOT giving up and saying it's not their fault either! They're working with engineers in Taiwan to address this and hopefully a solution will be available soon. I've had multiple phone calls from them today requesting information and samples. I will do some traces for/with them tomorrow.

I believe they are committed to fix this and do so quickly. I have a lead engineer's email and direct number and he's answered every time. I won't reveal much more than this for now as I want to give HTC the room to work without a bombardment of calls and emails to the department working on it. If they ask for others with the the issue or make a patch available I will most certainly post it here for you all.

I'll keep you posted as this progresses... fingers crossed!

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Replying to my own post here, there was ONE thing that HTC asked me to do that made a significant difference in the sound quality that you all can try too.

1. With the phone app open (you know, the keypad where you dial from?) press the three dots in the top right corner.
2. Choose "Settings"
3. Scroll down to "CDMA call settings"
4. Uncheck "Voice Privacy"
5. Exit out and test a call with your BT headset.

I didn't need to reboot my phone, and after a few test calls to employees (who are used to hearing me on the phone) the consensus was that it was much improved, they could actually understand me, but the that call quality wasn't good enough for a conference call or to speak with a customer. Still over-driven audio output, but much better. You may be able to use it in a pinch.

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Quick update. I spent one hour and forty minutes on the phone this morning with HTC engineers. We downloaded several pieces of software to both my phone and my One, captured records of several instances, and I uploaded them for their evaluation. I'll keep y'all posted as this progresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance