@ Android veterans: how has Sense and AOSP changed over the years?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
To you long timers, I've only been using Android for about two and a half years, and this is my first HTC device. How has it improved from the early versions? Either their AOSP implementation (if there ever was one) or Sense itself.

What's better about it? What were the biggest problems early on? Has anything actually gotten worse with time? I personally think it's silky smooth, though I wish I could tweak and customize it a *bit* more.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you've been on android for a couple of years then you know root is the way to customization. You don't have to go to a crazy Rom, or a Rom at all, for a lot of customizations. If you get on XDA under the HTC One you can find many mods that only require root. I personally use Scott's CleanRom which mainly enhances performance and allows you pick and choose bloatware etc. while keeping the stock Sense launcher and Blinkfeed if you are looking for the stock user interface with some performance enhancements and custom-availability.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Its original implementation was to make Android look good and have features on top of it which in my opinion it always did. And literally if you haven't noticed Google has literally been stealing ideas and features that there friendly OEM's have been using and put it in Android like the quick toggles in the notification area *got it from Samsung*. But the experience always would be laggy. Until about last year when the Butterfly and the Droid DNA came out with Sense 4+ the experience actually wasn't that laggy and it was actually enjoyable. And with Sense 5 being very clean without all the unneeded gradients that bogged down Sense 4 and 4+ and all the previous ones also without the really demanding widgets that have ridiculous gradients like the famous HTC clock. There's more to it but that's all that I know.

Posted via HTC One on their cool app

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Had the Rezound, miss the lock screen and the weather widget animation from Sense 3.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj4kxDkYd6s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ASOP is fast, but I always find something that doesn't work right, whether it's having trouble sending pictures or installing the right radios to make the " asop echo" on calls go away. And sure people have had good luck with ASOP Roms, just not me.

I really like how they cleaned up Sense with Sense 5.0. Used to try swift key, slide it, or Swype. Don't need any off those, Sense 5.0 keyboard with trace is near perfect. Music app has been cleaned up a lot also and is easier to use than before. I do miss the Sense 4.0 recent app screen, where it looked like the flow cover from apple, and you could flow through recent apps, album style. But overall, of ASOP, Touchwiz, Moto skin (do they even have a name for it?), and Sense, HTC Sense has been my favorite.

Owned droid x, HTC rezound, galaxy S3, now own HTC One.